• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

National Dex

Years
    I realise catching them all is a pipe dream now mostly given how many there are, but not having them register in the game is just plain lazy. If they're really too lazy to write some new Pokedex entries they could just re-word existing ones - it's not like that hasn't happened before - or even cutpaste them. It's not THAT great of a task, surely. No excuse not to have National Pokedex in these games to be honest.

I think Game Freak were trying to make getting the Oval and Shiny Charms easier, and they also likely didn't want to be re-using previous Pokedex entries. In previous games when you get the National Dex, the Pokemon that weren't in the regional Dex basically recycled a Pokedex entry from the previous game.

pkmin3033

I think Game Freak were trying to make getting the Oval and Shiny Charms easier, and they also likely didn't want to be re-using previous Pokedex entries. In previous games when you get the National Dex, the Pokemon that weren't in the regional Dex basically recycled a Pokedex entry from the previous game.
    Easier, but not too much easier, apparently...300 Pokemon is still a hell of a lot. It takes a while to fill the dex with that many. Although I wonder if it was done because they knew Pokemon Bank wouldn't be available right away, and patching the National Dex into the game after that would have been too much effort? I'm not entirely sure I agree with you about re-using dex entries, though...I think maybe you're giving them a little too much credit. I mean, they've done it more than once, and some Pokemon have very little deviation between dex entries across generations anyway; it's just slightly re-worded information. Why would it make a difference this time? With the 20th Anniversary, they'd have the perfect excuse to re-use those entries without criticism, too: nostalgia.

Years
    I miss the national dex. Feels off to have a pokemon with no dex entry in SM.

It does feel weird, but when you consider how many Pokemon there are, I feel Game Freak likely wanted to do it this way (aka make it Bank-exclusive) is so they don't have to spend so much time writing all those Pokedex entries.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    It does feel weird, but when you consider how many Pokemon there are, I feel Game Freak likely wanted to do it this way (aka make it Bank-exclusive) is so they don't have to spend so much time writing all those Pokedex entries.

Yeah. 802 is a lot. Best they can do is include older pokemon in USUM.

Years
    Yeah. 802 is a lot. Best they can do is include older pokemon in USUM.

I think that is something I can agree with. B2/W2 added older Pokemon to the Unova Dex, so it's fair to say US/UM will do the same, especially when you consider how terribly handled the original Alola Dex was in terms of generation distribution with its native Pokemon, with Kanto and Alola Pokemon dominating the lineup.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I think that is something I can agree with. B2/W2 added older Pokemon to the Unova Dex, so it's fair to say US/UM will do the same, especially when you consider how terribly handled the original Alola Dex was in terms of generation distribution with its native Pokemon, with Kanto and Alola Pokemon dominating the lineup.

Hopefully the other gens get better treatment. I think the pokedex could have about 400 - 500.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I damn hope so. It feels super weird having no dex number or entries for a lot of Pokémon - not only for information purpose, but it feels like there's no higher goal to reach to. I'm already halfway the Alola dex, it feels almost too easy. The chance is slim now that Pokébank has such a feature, but I really hope they bring it back in USUM (or next Gen if they won't).

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I damn hope so. It feels super weird having no dex number or entries for a lot of Pokémon - not only for information purpose, but it feels like there's no higher goal to reach to. I'm already halfway the Alola dex, it feels almost too easy. The chance is slim now that Pokébank has such a feature, but I really hope they bring it back in USUM (or next Gen if they won't).
    its also a pain in the ass to try & sort mons by number only to have to pull out another ds or a pc in order to see where their supposed to go

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
    The National Dex is a quintessential part of any Pokemon game in my opinion. I would love to see it back, and i have a feeling it will return.

(If not a National Dex, i really hope they get rid of the annoying as ever "Rotom Dex". The Dex is a device, not a character!)

Years
    (If not a National Dex, i really hope they get rid of the annoying as ever "Rotom Dex". The Dex is a device, not a character!)

Remember that Rotom Dex's purpose in S/M was to guide the player character around, since he/she was a foreigner who moved to Alola from another region. If the US/UM player characters are also foreigners who moved to Alola, it will likely mean Rotom Dex will be here to stay.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
    Remember that Rotom Dex's purpose in S/M was to guide the player character around, since he/she was a foreigner who moved to Alola from another region. If the US/UM player characters are also foreigners who moved to Alola, it will likely mean Rotom Dex will be here to stay.

Fair point, I had forgotten that aspect/purpose for the character.

I still wish for a more Pokegear (GS / HGSS) type approach for player guiding, as I found the character to be grating, especially post game, where I don't need any more guidance.

It just seemed childish to me.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

Funny that you bring that up since Gen VI recycled a lot of older dex entries, and Gen V (at least BW did) reused those of Platinum's for non Unova mons. With Gen VII having new ones, I was looking forward to finally getting something else after years of certain mons not gaining any new entries.

Years
    Funny that you bring that up since Gen VI recycled a lot of older dex entries, and Gen V (at least BW did) reused those of Platinum's for non Unova mons. With Gen VII having new ones, I was looking forward to finally getting something else after years of certain mons not gaining any new entries.

I was feeling the same too, considering how much Alola emphasised on nature and how it behaves, yet Game Freak only cared about what was in the regional Dex. That's like wasted potential for Pokedex entries for 500 out of 802 Pokemon.

Back