• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

natural disasters

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
  • I'd have to argue that depression counts.

But if not, personally the No-Name Storm of 93' was personally terrifying to me and my family. It was sudden and unexpected and deadly.

Years
  • Tornadoes. Even though I've never actually personally experienced a tornado (and hopefully will never have to move to an area that's known for them), those are definitely the one that top the list of "natural disasters that utterly scare me".

Not sure if tsunamis or earthquakes are next in the list, but they don't top tornadoes in my mind.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I would say tsunami, because they look awful, but the only natural disasters we get here are blizzards. Terrible, terrible blizzards. I also experienced a small hurricane years ago. The experience still gives me anxiety attacks towards specific situations.

But after reading Colours' post about volcanoes and supervolcanoes....yeah. The Vesuvius' history gives me the creeps.

Years
  • Definitely hurricanes, they have everything, the winds, the flooding. I've only experienced one once and that was good for me.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • hurricanes for sure. theyre terrifying and awful and scary. i was in the midst of hurricane katrina when that was going on. it was very scary since i was very young and the power was out for a couple days.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Tornadoes because of their unpredictability and ability to destroy houses and buildings. If only we had a military force that deals with fighting against natural disasters (it may even make a good premise for a blockbuster film).

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Supernovae are the absolute worst natural disaster I can imagine. We won't have to worry about it on Earth though, as by the time our sun goes nova our planet would have already been charbroiled several million times over. But if anyone's still around on Pluto they'd better hope that warp drive is a thing. xD

Years
    • Seen today
    I've experienced three of the major ones, being an earthquake, tornadoes, and several hurricanes

Only experienced one earthquake and it was about a 6.0, maybe a bit less. It was terrifying. There was no warning, I was just sitting at my computer and suddenly the house was violently shaking. I recognized it quickly, despite never being in an earthquake

I can't remember the name of the Hurricane that hit us, but it was category three and we lost power for a week. It knocked off trees in our back yard, luckily none of them hit our house.

We've had multiple Tornadoes, some getting very close. It feels like a violent storm, but you know at any moment your house could get plowed through.

All of them are scary in there own ways. But I would say Earthquakes are the worst for the surprise factor.

Last edited:

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • during hurricane irma, a tornado went through my family's neighborhood. i was visiting family and got stuck there because of the hurricane and took shelter with them. it was pretty damn scary i'd say. there's this loud roar, the house starts shaking and you hear trees falling down. it was even scarier because it was during the night and you couldn't see anything. it didn't damage my family's house, but some other houses in the neighborhood weren't so lucky. tornadoes and hurricanes are both pretty terrifying, but honestly i think unpredictable things are more scary, like earthquakes, landslides/avalanches, sinkholes and volcanoes.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Supernovae are the absolute worst natural disaster I can imagine. We won't have to worry about it on Earth though, as by the time our sun goes nova our planet would have already been charbroiled several million times over. But if anyone's still around on Pluto they'd better hope that warp drive is a thing. xD

What about a Pulsar? Technically, by some horrible roll of the dice, one of those could end up getting aimed at our planet and bye-bye. :O
    natural disasters

But as far as natural disasters that come from Earth, I've never experienced a hurricane, but I would think that's the worst. It's not just the damage it does while it's actually hitting a place, the aftermath of the flooding is ongoing, you can easily end up with black mold everywhere. So even if a house survived the initial hit by it, it could still end up becoming unlivable. :(

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Asteroid strikes or tsunami, probably. Hard to predict, even harder to successfully escape.

Years
  • I imagine a tsunami is the one that really gets inside you and puts a real fear into you. The water all gets sucked out of the ocean first, so you know something is wrong, that you have to run, but that whenever it comes it'll come in so strong that there's nothing you can do about it.

Other disasters can be slower, giving you a chance to get away or protect yourself. Or they strike quickly, not giving you as much time to be afraid.

Back