• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Near death experiences

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • Have you ever had any near death experiences? What were they? When did they happen?

I had one when I was about nine. I flipped over my bike, and they said if I hadn't had my helmet on, I would have cracked my head open. I got away with a bunch of scrapes, bruises, a lost tooth and a mild concussion.

Though, I'm not sure if it really counts as being really near death for me. It was a pretty scary thing for me though.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I was born without a heartbeat, and my heart had to get a kick start. I always tell people I was born dead, but that isn't exactly what happened.

I also one time almost drowned. Me and some friends were swimming in a lake, and when I tried to get out I slipped from the ladder, and inhaled a lot of water. I can't even remember me getting out. Apparently two friends of me managed to pull me out and I just lay there coughing up water. I just remember us walking home with a towel around me. I kinda ruined the girls birthday, I think. Although I remember us having a fun night afterwards.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • - I've choked on a lot of stuff. I'm talking about food/drinks, btw.
    - I almost drowned when I was little.

Also, I dunno if falling on my head when I was 8 months counts.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • a couple years ago I was coming out of some wooded-ish area on my bike and then was going to merge onto the sidewalk and THEN was going to merge into the street, but instead I hit a pothole on the sidewalk and flipped over my handlebars into the street. if there was a car coming I would have gotten hit. instead I broke my arm and rode my bike home. #thuglife

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • Choked on raw bacon before.

Almost drowned a few times. I can't swim. ☺

Was a passenger in a vehicle that almost drove off a bridge and into a river. The "lane end" sign was either ignored or non-existent. We managed to get in front of a transport at the last second thankfully.

Several instances of my ex either trying to strangle me or stab me. April 28th, 2013 should've been my TOD. Luckily the police became involved.

I semi-celebrated April 28th, 2014 last year. Happy to be alive, but depressed due to lingering psychiatric issues.

Years
  • Bakc when I was around 12, I badly sliced my forehead on a door and I was like badly leaking blood that I needed emergency stitches which did go well. Had it not been for quick thinking to help me get to the operating room rapidly and safely I could have pretty much died.

Years
  • When I was 6 or so, and could not swim, I went down a water slide, unaware of the fact that you either had to be able to swim or be a certain height to go down it, and I was not tall enough. The lifeguard let me go down, and the water was over my head. I don't remember how I managed to get out, but that was really scary, especially because I was just 6.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I choked on a penny when I was like 5 years old, somehow. Luckily my mom knew CPR, cause my dad was running around not knowing what to do ahaha.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I gotta lotta shit from living in the desert. One time I was out walking my dog and I stepped on a rattlesnake. Another time I got bit by a brown recluse. I don't know about you, but seeing your skin dissolve is not too cool man. Another time I had an encounter with a mountain loin, it was probably around 30 feet away from me, but still scary.

Years
  • I almost caused a head-on collision due to driver fatigue when I was 21. I was driving on a rural highway and I forgot it was one lane each way and merged into the right (oncoming) lane (thinking it was a two lane road in each direction separated by vegetation). I realised my mistake after travelling for about four seconds, merged back into the left lane and about two seconds later a car came around a corner going in the opposite direction.

Years
  • The first one that springs to mind is when I was younger, I was unable to swim at the time and I fell off of my friends deck through the cover on the pool and into the water. I don't know how but I managed to force my way back above water long enough to grab the edge and get pulled out.

I feel like there's at least one more that I'm forgetting to be honest.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • When I was a small, small child, my family and I went skiing at a place called the Villa Roma. There was a few courses to choose from, and I was racing down the intermediate hill when I found myself going off course. Before I knew it, I plowed straight through the dinky orange 'fence' they had up that separated the course from a cliff face. The only thing I remember is looking down and seeing the tops of buildings and thinking "Oh wow! Cool!" (I was not the brightest of children lol).

Eventually, some dude pulled me up. Ironically, I have a major fear of heights now, but back then the only thing I could recall thinking is how cool it looked the be looking down from what seemed like the top of the world. :)

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Well I'd say depending on how you decide to classify it, I've had like 3+ near death experiences although I suppose only 2 of them might really count.

The first was when I almost get by a car. The lady for whatever reason did not see me in the middle of the road and had to slam on her breaks while I jumped out of the way. He car ended up where I was had I not been aware of her coming(i.e. had my headphones in) then I would have been hit. Maybe not dead, but it's a scary thought none the less. That being said I've been almost hit by cars on numerous occasions--there is literally nothing to aid a pedestrian in crossing the street where I live. And the way people drive around here is terrible. If someone is going to cross the street the general solution is not to stop and wait for them as the law states, but to hurry up and speed through the cross walk. Or there are the people who you can hear their breaks squeaking like 300ft down the road and they still barely manage to stop in time. It's not really the drivers I don't trust for the most part, but the vehicles that they drive.

The other time I was doing some parkour with some friends, climbing on roofs and stuff. Well this one roof was slanted and it ran alongside another building. I didn't pay attention to realize that like the last 7 ft of the building was open to a small alley way. I slipped off the roof and came crashing to the ground. Likely also not a near death experienced unless I had like landed directly on my neck or something, but it was still scary! You could see my finger prints in the dust as I tried to grasp something--but to no avail. To picture this imagine in COD MW2 when you are playing as Roach and jumping across the roofs in the Favella level. And the last roof where you don't make the jump. Only I didn't have an angry army closing in on me :p If I did I'd have been screwed because I wasn't able to move very well after lol.

The last time would be when my lung collapsed. Also not technically a near death since I was brought to a hospital and all that, but if something had gone wrong then I probably would be dead! At the very least it was a very depressing and traumatic experience to say the least. Having tubes in your chest and having to use a respirator and all that is not fun at all. Especially when you're hooked up to suction 24/7 and a heart monitor as well to measure your SPO2 levels. The worst part was getting 2 surgeries back to back essentially. So much pain that I couldn't even get up on my own. I swear, it was weird. The pain wasn't even particularly bad but it made me feel like I weighed a thousand pounds or something. Okay, it was pretty bad. But I mean, I felt incapable of getting up by myself although it was probably not true.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I've had few accidents, but none going as far as a near death experience.

I remember a couple years back during Guy Fawkes some kids lit some really big fireworks behind me and luckily my dad got me out of the way before they shot off. If I had still been there, the fireworks would have probably hit me hard on the back and possibly have burnt me or something.

Another time in a competition which involved Mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking and all that stuff, in the mountain biking section of the race, I calculated incorrectly to bike down a very steep shortcut and fell pretty badly instead. Funny enough I barely got injured at all, but one wrong move and I could have been a goner.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
  • I've had quite a few, actually.

First time was when I was younger, around 3. I was with my family in the country land, out with some friends, and I got ran over by a tractor, twice, all because one of the neighbors who was over couldn't see me when he was driving it. I have no idea how I survived, but I was super lucky, and it was quite possibly a miracle. Only my legs were under the wheels, and had my body been the other way around, I wouldn't have the brains to type this lol.

Second time was when I was maybe 9-10, and I really enjoyed bike riding, so I'd often go for bike trips around my town. I wasn't paying attention, and at the last second I actually heard the car coming, so I hit the brakes. Had I not stopped in time, I would've definitely gotten run over.

I'm probably forgetting a few more incidents, but these are the most memorable ones to me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Last February after a snow storm. I was driving home and the roads were very icy and slippery. I was going along the road just fine and pass a side street. No stop sign on my road, but the other did and someone (due to the ice and perhaps a lack of winter tires, I'm assuming) just plowed right through it.

Nearly t-boned me. He donut'ed his car and I mounted the curb as much as I could (there was a tree there, so I couldn't go far really). And then I just stared out the window and watch his car spin towards me (on my driver's side as well) in what felt like slow motion.

Was a near-miss. When his car came to a halt, it was millimeters away from me and my car. If I didn't move to the right just that little bit as quick as I did, that would not have ended well

Years
  • When I was a toddler, I slipped and fell down a flight of wooden stairs. I think I was very lucky– only got a few bruises here and there.

I almost fell asleep at the wheel once, too. Thankfully my friend was paying attention when the car drifted into the other lane; he grabbed the wheel like two seconds before impact. I didn't drive for another four months after that.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Years
  • When I was an infant, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic Sulfa. I couldn't breathe, my eyes turned red, my face turned purple, and if my parents had gotten me to the hospital 5 minutes later I would have died.

At around 5 years old, I was in a body of water with no life jacket and only a styrofoam noodle. I let go of it and sunk to the bottom. I spent a good period of time propelling myself from the bottom to the surface, getting a breath of water and screaming for help, then sinking again, until I caught my grandpa's attention and he got me out of the water.

This summer I was bitten by a hobo spider on my neck. Reluctant to go the doctor due to medical costs, I spent a few days miserable with a fever until I literally couldn't move my head due to the pain, and I could barely stay awake due to the sick feeling and headache. It was extremely infected and necrotic and I spent 2+ months in recovery. It was very close to my brain and nearly destroyed one of my lymph nodes on my neck. If I hadn't gone into the doctor, I would have died.

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • I fell off from 1st floor balcony when I was 2 years old. Miracle happened and hence I'm alive :D
    I was also once trapped inside a box with a buddy of mine while a group of friends were playing Hide n Seek and me and my friend decided to hide in the box.. suddenly the box got locked from the outside. Luckily some dude came over 10-15 minutes later to help us out :P

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I like, hit my face on a coffee table corner once when I was little. I have a scar and everything. Life flashed before my eyes, tons of teddy bears and uncontrolled urine.

Back