• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need 3D pokemon animator for Pokemon Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    I am working on a new darker and edgier pokemon story which I would like to make into a short or feature length film.

I hope to make it a live action pokemon like the Pokemon Apokelypse trailer

since I have no training or much knowledge in 3D animation I wanna see if anyone is interested in helping me out.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Interesting idea. But I can tell you from experience that we deal with mainly with games resembling the official game here, so there are only a few people that may have the capabilities to help you, let alone capabilities to do what you're aiming at.. Or if they do have the skills, I doubt they'd help you with something so ambitious with so little to show that what you'd contribute would be worth their time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    Well that is why I was asking if there was anyone with any knowledge of animating 3D, so I could have an idea of the length of the film.

I pretty much have the story but if I knew how long it would take to animate the pokemon I can figure out if I should write a 90+ feature or just a 10-15 min conflict of the whole story.

So if anyone with 3D modeling and animation experience could give me an idea for how long the process would take I would find that real helpful.

Idea for 10 min short:
    Team Rocket Grunt is peddling rare candies to two undercover Pokemon Rangers, Drake Ketchum, veteran of the Sinnoh-Kanto war and his partner Jane Chambers. They meet the dealer in a warehouse, the grunt has a strange looking almost roided up Alakazam next to him. The Alakazam starts to glow, immediately the Rangers know that he is trying to read their minds, the Grunt isn't stupid he is checking if they are cops.
    Though the Rangers have gone through extensive training to prepare for situations like this, they start thinking of random things, wall, chair, Grunt's gun anything to keep the Alakazam from knowing what their true motive.

The Grunt pulls out a case filled to the brim with rare candies. Drake hands over a duffle bag full of money, trying with all his might not to think about the trace that is in the bag as well. The Alakazam grunts as it picks up on the spike in Drake's brain waves. The Grunt asks the Alakazam what is it but before it can give him an answer. Drake interupts "You gonna control that mongoloid pokemon of yours?" The Grunt turns away from the Alakazam "It must be all those rare candies its been given, makes them strong but I gotta say a five year old can outsmart this Alakazam, its a shame it used to be a marvelous pokemon when we first stole him." Drake and Jane look at each other with concern. Jane "How did you steal it from its master, any well trained pokemon would rather die than be under someones control." Grunt laughs "Well if there isn't a master to die for then it makes it pretty easy, plus our organization has been working on this." showing a dark and red pokeball. "Though it wasn't easy stealing this one from its trainer." Drake asks "why it that?" Grunt picking up the duffle bag "Have you ever tried killing a Pokemon Champion?" Drake and Jane astonished they said their speechless shaking as they try to contain their thougths. Drake can't take contain them and his memory flashes Master Gary Oak and him fighting side by side in the war then when Gary presented Drake his war medals in a ceremony. The Alakazam picked up on all of that, this time his bark(grunt) is more direct than the first the Grunt knows what it means and reaches for his gun as the Alakazam starts to levitate glowing blue. Drake and Jane draw their guns, Jane shoots the Grunt in his arm before he could grab his gun. Drake tackles Jane out the way as Alakazam sends a psybeam. The Grunt releases another super rare candy enhanced pokemon, Machamp. Drake and Jane are sprawled across the floor Drake releases his Poliwrath, it explodes from its pokeball with a powerful Hydro Pump hitting both of the Grunt's pokemon, giving the Rangers a cushion, Jane releases her Mr. Mime, using the Light Screens provided by Mr. Mime, Jane shoots at the Alakazam as the Mr. Mime trades blow after blow with the Alakazam. As the fight continues the roided pokemon have a clear advantage over the Ranger's pokemon trashing them around. The Grunt tries to escape out the back, Drake follows after him. Drake turns the corner into an alley the Grunt is stumbling through it running into garbage cans an alley junk. Desperate the Grunt throws a pokeball out revealing a pikachu, the pikachu charges for an attack as Drake pulls out his hand cannon (magnum) and blow a hole straight through the head of the pikachu. The Grunt is pleading for his life saying he'll tell Drake anything he wants to know about Team Rocket. Drake pulls out his hand cuff, when everything begins to shake like an earthquake. Boom! Machamp busts through the side of the building send rumble everywhere, the force knocks Drake back. Then the Alakazam teleports beside the Grunt, it brought the case of rare candies with it . The Grunt's demeanor changes sounding cocky now, he tosses the trace to Drake who is trying to remain conscious. Then teleports away.

Drake picks himself up from the rumble and goes to check on Jane. Inside he sees his Poliwrath is badly wounded several broken bones he returns it back into its ball, the Mr. Mime has been impaled into the wall by a psychic thrown metal rod. He spots Jane curled on the floor, her body looks completely broken. Drake rushes to her, she gives Drake a smile knowing she wont make it. Drake gives her a tearful smile back "I'll get them" Drake says, Jane replies "You'll get them all" as her eyes turn lifeless and her body slumps. Drake holds her and gives out a painful scream.

Thats what would basically be the set up of the feature or it could also work as a short. And I know this isn't the creative writing section of the forum but I but this up hear cuz I want you guys to know im serious about this.

Also don't think this is my final draft this is just a quick treatment of the script.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    That would be great! I could write in a Charizard or Arcanine instead of Poliwrath!

What kind of program do you use and how much experience do you have in this?

I think if I was to actually make a short it would be great publicity and maybe get some fan base to create a full length movie.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    thanks, I've started working with blender to model the pokemon I'm getting the hang of it but I've figured that its going to take a lot longer than I originally thought if its just going to be me.

If anyone wants to help in any way it would be much appreciated or if you live in the phoenix area and are interested in helping out in the production send me a message.

Thanks again all, hope you liked the treatment

Victory!

Psychic Pokemon Fan!
    Years
  • Sounds cool! I personally have no animating experience or 3d rendering experience but I cannot wait till you finish! Please notify me if I can help in anyway ever. Also notify me when you finish. Thanks :D

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • thanks, I've started working with blender to model the pokemon I'm getting the hang of it but I've figured that its going to take a lot longer than I originally thought if its just going to be me.

If anyone wants to help in any way it would be much appreciated or if you live in the phoenix area and are interested in helping out in the production send me a message.

Thanks again all, hope you liked the treatment

Dude 3d Modeling isn't easy and to make a film is even more ambitious, Now i dont know much about Blender since I use Max but since im guessing you dont have much expirence in animation or modeling this is gonna take years, and unless your looking to have a future in CGI, i wouldnt suggest doing this, for may reasons, because you cant sell it its gonna take many long days and nights. and the learning process is gonna be huge. However if your trying to have a future in CGI then proceed! because this will be a great portfolio addition or starter. Anyways, maybe in a few months i'll offer my help but for right now i gotta study and learn alot more Plus I have a few projects and i just dont wanna work on any more projects. But good luck.

But i could make a few small things like items or pokeballs if you need them. however if i did they'd be in .max format not blenders default object format whatever it is... but i believe blender shoud be able to open a max file and save it as a blender object anyways.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    Dude that would be awesome and I'd be so thankful, yea I'm starting to get what you mean with this stuff. I've just started working on the charizard head and its taking a while I'm trying to get it more realistic looking not cartoony and its taken some time but I got some friends that are getting the hang of blender so hopefully soon I can get more people helping on the modeling and animation.

And yea I'm going to school for film and getting a certificate in game making but I have a question are movie special effects and game effects similar?

rockeymon

Real life Silver Shirubaa
    Years
  • They are similar although movie sfx is better looking that game sfx, unless of coures you are playing Finale Fantasy lol.

KingCharizard

Years
  • They are similar although movie sfx is better looking that game sfx, unless of coures you are playing Finale Fantasy lol.

yes, this is true, but thats because games can only render and handle so much, for instance most game have low poly models. and a movie can use high poly, meaning you can add plenty of detail lto your models and you wont lose any performance

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Is this project still active? I remember viewing it a few months ago... I was really interested.. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    yea im just finishing the script cuz i've been busy with school but yea now since i have free time on shooting in July. I have a 3d modeler working on the pokemon but now Im figuring that just one modeler isnt going to cut it if any of you guys are interested in helping out shoot me a message at my email [email protected], I can't pay any of you guys but id be willing to give credit in the film which i intend to showcase in festivals and of course youtube

KingCharizard

Years
  • yea im just finishing the script cuz i've been busy with school but yea now since i have free time on shooting in July. I have a 3d modeler working on the pokemon but now Im figuring that just one modeler isnt going to cut it if any of you guys are interested in helping out shoot me a message at my email [email protected], I can't pay any of you guys but id be willing to give credit in the film which i intend to showcase in festivals and of course youtube

you could keep it short and simple no need to create all the pokemon, which pokemon do you want in the film. maybe i'll see what i can do..

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    Well I have a fight sequence with a machamp charizard Alakazam and mr mime but now that I wrote the script out I feel like I made it too much like a beginning of a movie rather than a short as I first intended. Would you guys like to see it?

luxuriate

Original Trainer
    Years
  • I would love to see it, and it would make a great beginning. A bit brutal, but I very much liked the idea of bringing a sense of urgency to Pokemon battles and Team Rocket. The idea of seeing Mr. Mime's Light Screen rapidly deflecting Alakazam's psychic attacks in a warehouse where an arrest went wrong because Alakazam reads undercover Rangers' minds blew my mind.

Sadly, I have no expertise in CGI. I'm more a writer and film fanatic.

This I think would generate a lot of money and viewers if it hit theaters.
    Sort of a summer blockbuster, PG-13 Pokemon IMAX going on there.

KingCharizard

Years
  • I would love to see it, and it would make a great beginning. A bit brutal, but I very much liked the idea of bringing a sense of urgency to Pokemon battles and Team Rocket. The idea of seeing Mr. Mime's Light Screen rapidly deflecting Alakazam's psychic attacks in a warehouse where an arrest went wrong because Alakazam reads undercover Rangers' minds blew my mind.

Sadly, I have no expertise in CGI. I'm more a writer and film fanatic.

This I think would generate a lot of money and viewers if it hit theaters.
    Sort of a summer blockbuster, PG-13 Pokemon IMAX going on there.

Wrong! this project wont generate anymore unless pokemon decides to actually support endorse or finance the project which is not likely to happen unless blastoise is a CGI prodgy

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2013
    Yea sorry luxuriate but charizard is right unless nintendo wants to see their beloved franchise covered in blood, I don't see me making any money out of it. I'll post up the script in a day or two once I edit it a little but yea I think its too long, so now im thinking of making a quick run and gun type of video in the style of freddiew, where Ash is on a bloodhunt trying to get pikachu back from Team Rocket.

And thanks Charizard :P I would like to see what kind of models you make

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back