• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need a Nintendo DS.... But which one!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krysalist

Enthusiastic Newcomer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    As Chrimbo (Christmas) is on it's way, I'm hoping to purchase myself a Nintendo DS.

But, the problem here is that I don't know which one to get!
    I'm liking the sound of the DSi and the lite models, and I don't like the chunky originals.

So what's your preferences on the DS and what one would you say is best?

Years
    I don't really like the DSi, I felt like they just tried to slap on as many different applications and pieces of technology they could.

However, that said, I think they will enhance more games for the DSi in the future; Black & White is one of them.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    I have a white DSi, and personally i'm very happy with it. i've had every other DS before it and it easily tops them all with it's nice design.

However, my cousin has a blue DSi XL that i'm in love with. I play my Black/White version on that monster and it makes it feel epic. :P

Krysalist

Enthusiastic Newcomer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    That settles it then. I'm going to get myself a DSi! White or Blue :)

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
    I would say dsi,but you cant play gameboy games so maybe the ds lite.
    You actually should get the 3ds,but its not out yet.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The DSi is frankly a waste of money at this point with the 3DS so close, because the DSi's (incredibly small) library of exclusive software is totally compatible with the 3DS, and the vast majority of DS games work perfectly fine with a DS Lite.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    The DS Lite's GBA slot is worth the entirety of all the crap in the DSi Shop. There are maybe 4 or 5 good games on DSiWare, whereas there are hundreds of GBA games. However, I'd suggest waiting for the 3DS unless you absolutely can't afford one and want a DS now. If so, I'd get a Lite.

Krysalist

Enthusiastic Newcomer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Ooh I forgot about the 3DS...
    And what's a jailbroken cartridge? Someone mentioned it up there ^

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I would certainly agree with just waiting for the 3DS, which'd play all DS games anyway and be superior to the DSi, as well as being the next gene handheld console for Nintendo. Due to that as well if you really want a DS now I'd suggest trying to pick up a chaper, maybe even used, DS Lite (after all it can still play GBA games as well as mentioned unlike the DSi/3DS).

Trish

He was dead the whole time!
    Years
    Ooh I forgot about the 3DS...
    And what's a jailbroken cartridge? Someone mentioned it up there ^

Illegal cartridges, where you can put downloaded games into the cartridge for the DS, I assume.

I use a DS Lite. Essentially, its the original DS without the heaviness and the bulkiness, and that's more than enough a reason to get one. xD

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Get the original.

The DS lite is really fragile, and will break even if you take really good care of it. (This happens to almost everyone.)

The DSi's internet doesn't even really work (waaay to slow to be useful) and I don't know anyone who actually uses the camera/downloads games.

DSi XL or whatever it's called is the same as DSi, but bigger. It's pointless.

You may want to wait for a 3DS... there's no telling how it will be, but until then I would recommend the original DS.

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    I would suggest either waiting if you have the money to get the 3ds or if you cant wait, get a ds lite or dsi xl.

ds lite- its cheaper, has a good battery life, the gba slot.

dsi xl- larger screen, better battery life then any other ds or dsi, internet and that that stuff as well.

i think im going to wait and see how the 3ds turns out and the library of games and from there im going to see becuase i would really like to get some of my gen 4 pokemon into gen 5.

Krysalist

Enthusiastic Newcomer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Right so at the moment I'm stuck with the 3DS and the DSi/DS Lite

Oh and talk of flash carts is bannable right?

Last edited:

qq.noobs

Some random noob :)
    Years
    Well lets put it this way

Original NDS: This one is so old it shouldn't be existing anymore.
    NDS Lite: Better than the NDS. Its slim, has good battery life (which Weber said) and pretty good for its price. However it is fragile.
    NDSi: Same thing as the DS Lite but it comes with 2 cameras and you can record your voice or whatever.
    NDS XL: If you want family or friends to play with you, then this is the one for you.
    3DS: Not sure about this one but it is 3D

I would recommend the Lite because it is still in fashion and is a good all-rounder

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
    Don't waste your money. Wait until the 3DS is out, or you'll regret it. Unless you don't mind having two DS's. But if you really want one now I strongly suggest the DSi (or the XL if you have bad eyesight/big fingers).

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

Talking about flash carts is not an offense that could get you banned. Talking about where to get illegal ROMs to put on those flash carts is, however. There are also many things you can put on flash carts that are not illegal.

And wait until Spring when the 3DS is released - it will be a much better console than the DSi.

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
    I have the dslite and think it's great, however if I had the choice I would have gone with the dsi. It has an acekard flashcart that's compatible with it and it's agreed that acekart is one of the better flashcarts. On top of that the internet can be handy when you're just looking to read an article or browse a forum, though posting anything worthwhile would be a real pain with the touch screen controls. The camera and dsiware shop are nice as well, I don't use them much myself but my little brother loves to take pictures and mess around with them and I've bought him a few games from the shop that he's taken a liking to as well.

However if you're not looking to use a flashcart I would just wait until the 3ds is released, as it will most likely have its own shop, internet and backwards compatibility for ds games among a boat load of other features.

e: I forgot about the dsixl, if you have the money I'd go for that over the dsi.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back