• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen need help choosing a starter?

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2011
    which starter is the best in pokemon gold? which pokemon is better in the long run, typhlosion, feraligatr, or meganium. and why?

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    Cyndiquil is pretty much the best Jhoto starter, Todidile is a close second and chikorita fails at life...

Why Cyndiquil:

Typholsion can learn Thunder Punch via TM taking care of it's water weakness (plus in 2nd gen thunder punch was specail and that complements his pretty good Sp. Attack) STAB flamethrowers pwn just about everything that it isn't not very effective to also...

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    well if you like to have a challenge then pick chicorita, because the first 3 gym leaders are like tough for it. I would pick totodile or cyndaquil, because they are easy to use up against the first 3 gym leaders or 2...

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    In my opinion, Cyndaquil. That's always the one I've picked ever since I started playing.

Tododile can hold its own, I just don't like it much.

Chikorita just fails in the Johto region, I'm not saying its a bad Pokemon, I'm simply saying that most of the time you're up against Pokemon that have an advantage over Grass Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2011
    im not going with feraligatr because it doesnt have good moves to take advantage of its high attack, and meganium just sucks..... i decided to go with typhlosion, ill use flamethrower, earthquake, and thunderpunch..what should the last move be, what can i put there besides sunny day?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    what kind of prize like a pokemon

kjhgfdefrgthyujikjhgfgjikjgfdfghujhgf

Last edited:
    Years
    Okay, I've got a few things to say.

1.) Meganium does not suck, it's a very strong Pokemon, only advanced trainers should use him though. If you're one of the people who say Meganium sucks. You're wrong. Say he sucks to Razor Leaf, Synthesis, Solarbeam, Sunny Day. You know what once he is a Meganium he can very strong, so don't hate on him.

2.) I picked Typhlosion, purposly because he get's amazing IV's and is very well if he has a right nature and good IV's. He can be a very strong Pokemon.

3.) In my opinion they're all equal, mainly because it's what the user likes, they all have strong movesets.

So don't hate on any of them, I believe the topic was "Need help with choosing your starter" not... "which starter did you choose?".

Moana Kai

Elite Trainer
    Years
    Typhlosion, in the long run, it will have a greater chance of battling and training, and when you get to the pokemon league, it will make you defeat the first elite in no time.

Anty

Just thought of going French..
    Years
    Cyndaquil. Why? Because it gets very strong and you can easily beat gyms with it.

Years
    response

i chose feraligater on mine and it can defeat he elite four all by itself with a few slaves to help feraligator heal and revive.

ice punch, slash, hydro pump and somethin else.

feraligator: elite 4 doesnt stand much of a chance if you have the right moveset
    typhlosion: the best when your concerned with the storyline mostly.
    meganium: can heal, takes an expert to use.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    Ok I would definately pick Cyndaquil hands down. I usually use him he has very good stats and overall will be the most useful. How can you go wrong with this moveset: Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Earthquake, and Thunderpunch. With a moveset like that he is definately the favorite. Next I will go with Chikorita, because like Cyndaquil he has some diversity especially considering it's a Grass-type. My ideal moveset for Meganium would be this: Light Screen, Razor Leaf, Synthesis, and Body Slam.

Totodile? Eh? To me he is disappointing he generally lacks SpAtk when he is a WATER type? When you pick a starter you pick them for diversity or what suits you. If you pick Totodile you eventually may end up using Vaporeon, Lapras, Starmie, Lanturn, Octillery, or Seaking they all have better SpAtk which makes me think dang you really can't take advantage of Feraligatr's type. Feraligatr is too physical and gets no STAB from the physical attacks. If I want physical pokemon I'll use a Donphan, Ursaring, Snorlax, Steelix, Golem, Rhydon and etc.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2009
    I chose Totodile hands down as well since it could KO both Chikorita and Cyndaquil with the right moves and it doesn't begin with an "C"

:t354:TG

Here's the thing about Totodile, you can't take advantage of it's water type moves because his Special Attack is very average and there are other better water types which make this situation annoying. If I want a water starter I want to make use of it's water attacks, whenever I picked Totodile I be like dang Tentacruel, Dewgong, Cloyster, Blastoise, Vaporeon, Starmie, Lapras, Lanturn, are all better water types. I shouldn't have to think about other water types when choosing a starter.

At least Cyndaquil and Chikorita have wider movesets and are better than Totodile in every aspect. Totodile looks cool and that's all it has going for it. Totodile is physical and if I want physical hitters than I will go for Rock/Ground/Fighting types. After I learned about Totodile I realized that Cyndaquil and Chikorita are just better pokemon and I only choose in between those 2

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Typhlosion is much better. First off, it's the faster of the three (I believe it's base stats are faster) meaning it can KO either before they KO it. Plus, it has a better movepool and a MUCH better SpA.

Back