• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help on HeartGold

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    I am wondering if anyone has any good movesets or Ideas for my Pokemon team.
    I am currently in the Mahogany Team Rocket Hideout.

My Team is

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
    LV.32
    Ability:Technician
    Nature: Bashful
    -Swift
    -Double Hit
    -Screech
    -Shadow Ball

Heracross @ Shell Bell
    LV.32
    Abilty:Swarm
    Nature: Timid
    -Fury Attack
    -Aerial Ace
    -Brick Break
    -Counter

I am thinking of getting Aerial Ace for Ambipom for fighting type coverage
    and I will replace a move for Megahorn on Heracross. Does anyone have any other move ideas for my Pokemon? Also I will accept ideas for more Pokemon but no more than four on my team max.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Well, Aerial Ace on Ambipom is good since it will also double as a grass/bug coverage move. Instead of shadow ball for ambipom, I'd use Payback since Ambipom is a better attacker than special attacker. Screech and swift should be removed for something like brick break and/or fire punch.

Heracross should definitely lose Fury attack for megahorn. Counter won't probably work that well on a Heracross so I'd recommend losing that as well for something that will help your team out even more. Also...although it may be too late to change now, your Heracross has a nature that hinders its attack stat so be mindful of that.

I'd recommend training a mareep for an ampharos to help you against flying types since I'm not seeing something legitimately good that will protect Heracross against his 4x weakness. Actually, Magneton could work as well instead of ampharos.

Water pokemon are usually easy to integrate since their type is only resisted by three pokemon types (water, dragon, and grass) and it hits for super-effective/neutral on everything else. You could consider a ghost pokemon to give you more types to work with and gain an immunity towards normal and fighting attacks.

Hope I was of some help.

Years
    I agree. Ambipom is a physical attacker so Shadow Ball won't work that well.
    I actually generally use Ambipom on my teams and I run this movest;

Aerial Ace (To cover the fighting type weakness)
    Ice Punch (Just for type coverage, its fun taking down dragons with a little monkey)
    Shadow Claw (To hit ghost types that can't hit me back)
    Strength (For STAB)

As for Heracross, run something like;

Brick Break/Close Combat (Its your choice which one, both are for STAB)
    Megahorn (Again, STAB, but it will also take care of your psychic weakness)
    Earthquake (To destroy fire type weakness)
    Rock Slide (To take care of flying types)

I also agree that you need a better nature for Heracross, but also for Ambipom as well.
    I suggest Adamant for Heracross to benefit it's physical attack the best.
    For Ambipom, either Hasty or Jolly. Ambipom is really, really quick, so either of these natures benefit it's speed without hindering its physical attack stat.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    Okay I will definitely get Aerial Ace on Ambipom then but it is a bit hard to change my natures because I am only doing a standard run through and I am not really caring about natures.
    I probably will get a Magneton if anything because I want to try something I haven't used before and I have used Ampharos 3 times before.
    I'll get rid of fury attack for Megahorn.
    Would stone edge be a better move instead of rock slide on Heracross?
    Which is better Payback or Shadow Claw?
    I was thinking of running Kingler on my team as well and have it learn Ice Beam or Blizzard.
    If I have a rock attack then I won't need earthquake because rock also beats fire.
    Also does anyone have any Item Ideas for my Pokemon because Shell Bell doesn't heal much?
    I am thinking of these movesets now + Kingler and Magneton and I won't put the natures in because I don't care about them.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
    Ability: Technician
    - Aerial Ace
    - Shadow Claw/Payback
    - Normal Attack
    - ???????????

Heracross @ ???
    Ability: Swarm
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    - Brick Break
    - ????????

Magneton @ ???
    Abilty: Sturdy
    - Lock-on
    - Zap Cannon
    - ???????
    - ???????

Kingler @ ???
    Ability: Shell Armor
    - Ice Beam/Blizzard
    - Surf
    - Hail(IF BLizzard) /Toxic
    - X-Scissor

This is going to be my team but are they good Movesets and the best abilities.
    Also I need Item ideas.
    Thankyou for all the help and please help some more.

EDIT:
    I caught 2 magnemite with sturdy one is sassy and one is hasty.
    WHich one should I use?

EDIT EDIT: I chose the sassy because I need to get a move on.

Last edited:

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I'll try to help as much as possible. My comments will be in BOLD.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
    Ability: Technician
    - Aerial Ace
    - Shadow Claw/Payback
    - Normal Attack
    - ???????????

Shadow Claw is better. Ambipom will almost always attack first, which means you won't get the 2x boost from Payback. For your normal attack, Strength is your best bet. U-Turn isn't a bad move either, and after the E4, replace it with Ice Punch.

Heracross @ ???
    Ability: Swarm
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    - Brick Break
    - ????????

I generally use Rock Slide over Stone Edge. It's not as powerful, but it's more accurate. And Earthquake for the final moveslot.

Magneton @ ???
    Abilty: Sturdy
    - Lock-on
    - Zap Cannon
    - ???????
    - ???????

Use Flash Cannon for a secondary STAB move. For the final slot, Thunder Wave is recommended, as paralyzing and slowing down opposing pokemon can give you that edge.

Kingler @ ???
    Ability: Shell Armor
    - Ice Beam/Blizzard
    - Surf
    - Hail(IF BLizzard) /Toxic
    - X-Scissor

Don't use Ice Beam and Surf here. They're special attacks, but Kingler is a much better physical attacker. It's base Atk is 130, while it's only got a 50 base Sp.Atk. Use Waterfall or Crabhammer over Surf. Ice Beam is gonna be weaker, so I suppose you can compensate by residual hail damage and Blizzard's power. Too bad Kingler can't learn Avalanche...

EDIT:
    I caught 2 magnemite with sturdy one is sassy and one is hasty.
    WHich one should I use?

EDIT EDIT: I chose the sassy because I need to get a move on.
    Hasty is better. It ups your speed, which always helps.

That's about it. Hope I helped. As far as your final two pokemon, a Fire-Type and a Psychic-Type couldn't hurt.

Houndoom, Magmar, and Vuplix/Growlithe are your Fire Choices. SS has Vulpix and HG has Growlithe. Espeon is a decent Psychic type. Get the Eevee from Bill if you haven't done that yet.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    @ jab2033
    Ok I Will take shadow claw for Ambipom, The Hasty Magnemite Instead,
    Thunder Wave & Flash Cannon for Magneton, The Blizzard set on Kingler, Waterfall over Surf,
    Rock Slide over Stone Edge & Maybe Earthquake for Heracross.
    Thanks for all of the help.
    I will not be taking a fire or Psychic type to fill up the last spots But I might have them as spares.

Edit: I need other moves for magneton since Flash Cannon is on route 9 in Kanto.
    Also Item Ideas please.

Edit Edit: My friend accidently released the hasty magnemite.

Last edited:
    Back