• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Some Advice on My Double Baton Pass Team

Purrrrrsian

Purrrrrsian used Post Reply!
Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    Okay, so the basic strategy here is to baton pass a Rock Polish and a Swords Dance boost to two powerful physical hitters: Medicham and Marowak . Here's the strategy so far:
    Gliscor @ Leftovers 252 HP/160 Def/98 Spe Hyper Cutter Impish
    Rock Polish
    Baton Pass
    Roost
    Taunt

The strategy here is to come in on something I can wall, Rock Polish, Taunt any attempts to phaze and pass the rock polish down the chain. The EVs should let me outspeed pretty much anything after a Rock Polish.

Celebi @ Leftovers 252 HP/ 198 SDef / 98 Spe Natural Cure Careful
    Swords Dance
    Baton Pass
    Recover
    Return

I'll then baton pass on to Celebi on the assumption that my opponent will send out a special sweeper. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to get a swords dance in, if not I'll keep passing the chain on.

Medicham @ Life Orb 252 Attack/252 Speed /4 HP Pure Power Adamant
    Brick Break
    Psycho Cut
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch/Baton Pass

I'll pass the chain on to Medicham. This one's a no-brainer, just fire away with an insane amount of attack and speed. It all comes down to Baton Pass or Thunder Punch. Baton Pass will allow me to keep the chain moving if necessary and Thunder Punch will give my more coverage. I'm leaning towards Baton Pass.

Marowak @ Thick Club 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP Rock Head Jolly
    Earquake
    Double-Edge
    Thunder Punch/Rock Slide
    Fire Punch

My other heavy-hitter. Unfortunately, Marowak is where the chain ends. He can't learn Baton Pass so the chain dies with him. Again, no brainer, whack whack whack, hope everything dies, etc.

That's my team so far. It's a bit gimmicky but I think it'd be fun to pull off. I'm looking for some critiquing as well as some suggestions on the final two roles. I definitely need something on the special side now. Perhaps something with high defense and low speed as an alternative. It won't get any benefits from the Swords Dance but the increase in speed will certainly be beneficial.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I realize that if this doesn't work, Gliscor and Celebi are practically dead weight. They can take a few hits but that's it. Also, I haven't worked out how to get a turn to pass from Celebi to Medicham/Marowak. I could use Perish Song but that wouldn't guarantee me an immediate switch.

Last edited:

Rhymed

YouSpinMeRightRound
    Years
  • I Have no experience whatsoever with baton pass teams, sorry. one thing i can say phazers eat baton pass teams for lunch, consider smeargle lead with ingrain, as you have two leftover slots. the other one i suggest using for something that can baton pass defence bosts, such at lunatone, etc, as that prevents sweepers saying bai bai to marowak and medocham. last slot would be a sweeper, as if teh baton passing phails, you're basically, although it sucks (^^) at sweeping entire teams YOU NEED MOAR SPECSGAR! AND RETURN IS SO PHAIL ON CELEBI! :P, *wonders if i should even be rating this*

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Smeargle/ Breloom works against these teams, mainly because of Spore, Smeargle may be better since the quite popular Hazer Crobat is in good play.

Smeargle/ Brelloms stops HAZERS/ PHAZERS in their tracks with Spore, Smeargle might be better since Crobat is a personal favorite for a Hazer, but Smeargle lacks Sweeping ability, but is faster than Breloom.

Last edited:

Purrrrrsian

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    Breloom might be good if I can catch the team's p/hazer with spore.

Return is mostly filler since Celebi doesn't have many options and I can hit most pokemon for neutral 102 base damage if I really need to. Maybe I can replace Return with another supporting option. As I said, this team is entirely novel. I don't expect to use/win with it often but it seems like it would be fun to attempt.

Years
  • You could always start off with Ninjask. Not sure about the EVs, but holding Focus Sash - Protect, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, and not sure about last move. Hopefully you go up against a team that doesn't start with Sandstorm or Hail, that way you can protect first turn, get the Speed Boost, use Swords Dance, take a hit, then protect once more, and then Baton Pass. Should work well.

Either that, or start off with a Smeargle that knows Spore.

Purrrrrsian

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    Hmm, I like the idea of starting with Ninjask...by the time my opponent figures out it's a baton passing chain, I'll be able to taunt his phazer with gliscor and pass to my sweeper. Do the speed boosts get passed too? I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at but if it is, I can forgo passing to gliscor completely.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Hmm, I like the idea of starting with Ninjask...by the time my opponent figures out it's a baton passing chain, I'll be able to taunt his phazer with gliscor and pass to my sweeper. Do the speed boosts get passed too? I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at but if it is, I can forgo passing to gliscor completely.

Yeah, the Speed Boost effects get passed too. =p

Years
  • Speed Boost does get passed too, but one thing you might want to look out for is a Weavile/Donphan switch in, or anyone that can learn Quick Attack or Ice Shard, those things will wreck your chain, I've done it before, and had it happen to me before, and if you can't keep your main BPer alive then your basically screwed for the rest of the match.

Purrrrrsian

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    Or ANY PHAZER AT ALL. Teams like this needs far too much chance to work. Smeeargle w/Ingrain might actually help. Otherwise, your skarmory weak.
    Really? Even with a Swords Danced Medicham/Marowak?

I'll probably get a good special sweeper to take over if necessary. Something like Ingrain sounds pretty good. Hah, and don't worry, I don't expect to win with this team very often. I just want to try it because it seems like it would be fun if I could manage to pull it off.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Yes, even with a Swords Dance Medicham/Marowak. Doesn't help that they're slow, and outspeed by much, but the fact that it is VERY easy to prevent those two from getting the boost from the start.

If you're doing it for fun, hey, go crazy. But yeah, don't expect it to work much. BP teams are so easy to break. The chain can easily be broken, and then your stuck. The main problem is, you're overly reliant on getting in these passes. Mixed sweepers end your fun. Don't forget how much damage you'll be raking in per switch. Oh, and there may be times where you are forced to switch without BP, and lose all that work.

Back