• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Need some guidance on trading n' stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2010
    Ello!

I've recently got back into the good ol' pokemon games! I've bought myself a SP along with a couple of the games.

But I have been confused by the trading aspect of things. I wanted to trade (GB+GBC) pokemon between 2 SP's but I have read that it can not be done while others have claimed it is possible.

I found this from a certain site which looked promising though:

"The Mad Catz Ultra-Link Cable is all you need to connect Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Colour.
    The Ultra Link Cable is cross-platform, which means you can play Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Colour multi-player games whenever you want! Or exchange data with your friends, it's on your terms."

But i am unaware of it's full potential/s.

By the way which ones are the ones where you must defeat the elite 4 before trading or something like that?

Thanks for any help given and sorry if this has been asked many times before!

Last edited:
    Years
    It's some years ago, but I did trade between a GB Pocket and a GBA SP. I don't think there was anything special about the link cable used, I might be wrong though
    At least it worked, so why should trading between 2 SPs not work?

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2010
    Dunno. Read somewhere about the ways that different cables exchange info, compatibility, e.t.c

By the way do you remember which games you used for the trade between the SP and the pocket?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2010
    Ah I see. Which gameboy/s have the same slots for inserting a cable into them, if any?

Huzzah! I have found this on Wikepedia:

"When playing Red or Blue on a Game Boy Advance or SP, the standard GBA/SP link cable will not work; players must use the Nintendo Universal Game Link Cable instead."

Now if only I could get my hand on one of these cables! Anyone help me?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Your best bet these days to find a cable of such sort would probably be E-Bay. :x

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What the fuzzy peach said. Please use the simple Q&A next time. This question doesn't deserve its own thread.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back