• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Negatives and Positives

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Negatives and Positives
    Negatives and Positives

What were some of the negative aspects of the HGSS series, in your opinion?
    What were some of the positive aspects of the HGSS series, in your opinion?
    Did the positives outweigh the negatives or vice versa?

Discuss!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It's kinda hard to train your Pokemon in HG/SS. It took me forever to get some Pokemon high enough to beat the E4 a second time.

The positive thing about these versions, well, they have more Pokemon than the original Gold/Silver/Crystal version.

Years
  • Positive: Pretty much everything, really liked being able to get a Kanto and a Hoenn starter.

Negative: Big one for me. There isn't a lot of training opportunities, especially between Cianwood and Olivine Gyms, only two routes to battle yet the highest level Pokemon raised by 4 levels. And especially in the after game. I have 11 badges now yet my highest team member(s) are Ampharos and Arcanine at Level 46, when the gym leaders are Lvl50+. Too overpowered after game if you ask me.

Years
  • Positives:

Not much I can say, these games were great and gave people a good bout of nostalgia.

Negatives:

The Pokemon being so low-level it was very hard to level grind. That was all.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The only negatives I can think of are how low leveled the Pokemon around me were and Red being very high leveled compared to those Pokemon.

Years
  • I really didn't like the safari zone. instead of a simple area, they had a complex system of moving areas around and placing objects and waiting, ugh, its so annoying. just makes me want to visit hoenn's safari zone again. but the rest is great.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • Negative: the only thing i can think of is it would be nice if you had the option to have your lead pokemon be put in its pokeball. i mean its super fun letting your pokemon walk with you, but being able to put it away if you chose would be fun for the imagination.

Positive: Pretty much everything, there is nothing i don't like about HGSS. easily the best pokemon games made as far. and would have to say platinum would be a close second.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
    Years
  • What were some of the negative aspects of the HGSS series, in your opinion?

Design. With the advent of HGSS, i was looking forward to the aesthetic aspects. The team didn't bother changing all of the trainer sprites (Although if it remained faithful to gsc, it wouldn't change the biker as well). Trainers that didn't receive proper treatment include: Picknicker, Camper, Fisherman, Sailor, Pokefan M and F, Young Couple, Guitarist, Juggler, and Psychic.

As much as i would like to point out more how disappointing the designs were, i would like to remind myself that this isn't the only aspect that make such game great. If I could go back (the time when hgss was in the making) and suggest this to nintendo, believe me, i would.

What were some of the positive aspects of the HGSS series, in your opinion?
    Quite a lot.

Scene. The background? What about it?
    With the re-introduction of the bell tower, whirl islands, and the lighthouse; these three great (let's call them johto's landmarks), adapted a really interesting feature that probably paved the way to construct unova's grand skyarrow bridge (camera angle effects). This was a huge feature that changed the way pokemon games display aesthetically.

Safari Zone. I love that they returned the safari zone, although the introduction of a story (Baoba) didn't feel like it made a good remake (I can't explain much, but it wasn't striking to hear about Baoba, same goes with Cameron the photographer although the camera feature is quite pleasing); however safari zone is a safari zone, it's great in its own way through the neat feature of customizing your own (which gave access to more species of pokemon).

Pokewalker. I haven't experienced the fullness of this interesting accessory much. It's battery died on me after I left it in my room for months (as b/w came out, flying and surfing pikachu weren't transferrable; and as for the event walker pokemon like selfdestruct munchlax, it was better that i traded for them in b/w anyway rather than spend so much time walking :/).

Pokeathlon. This was something that I wasn't expecting. The pokeathlon introduced new ways to obtain great items, and it shined like the way rse's pokemon contests have drawn me. Gee, if only it was playable on wifi.

Did the positives outweigh the negatives or vice versa?
    The Verdict.
    Of Course. New interesting features for a pokemon game mean new opportunities to enjoy, and these would not only impress the fans but it would also help the pokemon team know more about what their fans like in their games (be it sports, contests, adventure, or battle systems).

In fact, i still play it until today (well i'm going to some time, as the replay value of pokemon games can't be measured imo). Also it's been my favorite pokemon version, so it deserves a chance.

Years
  • The negatives in HGSS stand out a lot to me. I really didn't like how slow the battle animations and PC went, and it was especially hard to train up your Pokemon due to a lack of training spots. :/ I'm still stuck on Clair on my second file and cannot find a single good spot to train that doesn't net me only 200-400 experience points per battle. It's tough. :(

But the positives were the lovely Pokeathlon, amazing sprites, lovely updated graphics, music, and etc. There were a lot of great things in these games despite the negatives!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Negatives:

- Most of the problems from the original are still present in the remakes:

a) low-leveled wild Pokemon
    b) bad gym leader rosters
    c) Johto Pokemon still overshadowed by Kanto Pokemon in the Johto region
    d) empty side quests in Kanto
    e) Team Rocket very little presence

- Safari Zone was poorly executed (seriously? 40 days to catch a certain Pokemon?)
    - Not all cross gen evos from post-Gen 2 were added to the dex

Positives

- Pokeathlon
    - Pokewalker
    - Being able to catch the Kanto legendaries, as well as the weather trio
    - Lyra
    - Adding cross gen evos from post-Gen 2 into the dex

I feel the negatives outweight the positives overall due to my first statement listed for the negatives.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
    Years
  • Postives: Fun battle, nostalgia everywhere, and the overpowered greatness of Chickorita.

Sweet jebus, Chickorita

Negatives: I thought the HP could scroll a little faster (not too noticeable normally, but facing against Blissey or Wobbafett takes forever), and they took out Clair's line about Dragonbreath not actually being her breath :(

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Negatives:
    -Lyra's design
    -Low leveled Pokemon
    -Goldenrod City's music
    -Having to use Rock Climb in Mt. Silver to reach Red

Positives:
    -Nostalgia
    -Feraligatr's movepool
    -Bigger variety of Pokemon
    -Safari Zone
    -Pokemon following you

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Positives:
    Remake of Pokemon G/S/C!!!
    Pokemon able to follow you
    Slightly more obtainable Pokemon than before (pre-Elite 4 and post Elite-4)
    Being able to catch more legendaries
    Pokelathon (although I don't participate in it)
    Automatic Running Shoes

Negatives:
    Battle Animations were somewhat slow (like D/P/Pl)
    Only Pokemon in front of party is able to follow you
    Hard to train your Pokemon
    Replacing Kris with Lyra (I think Kris seems like a cooler Heroine than Lyra, especially in desgin)

Still a great game overall.

Back