• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never Using Legendaries

Instantmashed

Master Mashed
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    Anyone else really hate using legendaries? to me it feels like i took a shortcut to get an already strong pokemon to fight with. Personally I only train pokemon that I can hatch out of eggs and i usually like the pokemon everyone hates.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
    Well. I catch them, train them for awhile, but then I just give up on them, because ive heard its hard to actually level them up or something like that. But yeah, i really don't like using legendaries but its not exactly a shortcut. I just prefer the starter pokemon i guess? But basically, :cer_nod:, legendaries are kinda like a shortcut

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I had never used a legend and had never wanted to use one until I ev trained my Latios for use in the Battle tower is SS I also trained a Raikou for a RD team so far those are the only two legends I've trained/used and I barely count Raikou as he is being constantly out shone by my cousin's Jolteon.Those happen to be the only Legends I can stand

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I don't always use them, but I have once or twice. In my SoulSilver, I use Articuno on my team. My Farfetch'd was so weak >.O So I switched to Articuno after I beat the Elite Four so it can use Fly and ice attacks <3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The only legends I use are the box legendaries. I don't use any trio legends unless I find any of them interesting.

Years
    I only use them when I'm not in the mood to grind intensely, which is usually on the first playthrough, when I'm getting a feel for the game.
    Hypocritical as it may be, I really discourage the use of legends and it irks me somewhat when I see a trainer card full of legends. The main reason why I don't use
    legends, however, is that they have no evolution line, I know it makes them all the more "legendary" if they lack one, but seeing a Pokemon become more powerful
    and take on a new form after rigorous training is a reward to me.

Nervous Eddy

Anxious Meowth
    Years
    I've never used legendaries, but usually only because I already have a well-built team by the time I catch them. I don't like throwing off the methods I build up.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    As far as playthroughs, sometimes I'll use Zapdos in Leaf Green but that's it. I don't like playing through a game with legendaries, it just feels cheap. Usually I just catch them and keep them untouched.

And I typically don't have legendaries on my main battling team either.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I have no problem in using legendaries. They're Pokemon too and deserve some love and attention. However I usually limit myself to one on my team, unless I just really have the urge to use that particular Pokemon. For example, I'm using shiny Entei and Darkrai on my Diamond team. -shrug- Not a big deal to me. I use what I want.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Legendaries are almost never used, but I do use Ho-Oh as a HM slave.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Nope, you get them too late in the games. I prefer to get most of my party close to the beginning. I don't really like legendaries anyway. I like to challenge myself and I think it feels better when I've trained the Pokémon myself from low levels. I like to watch them evolve and grow stronger. With a team of non-legendaries, I feel less assured that I'll win which keeps it interesting.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
    I'll EV them, but I don't let them participate in my Gym Battles or Elite Four battles (unless it's a rematch against the Elite to reset a roaming Legendary). I don't necessarily think it's cheating to use a Legendary I worked up to to catch and then train, but at the same time... if I'm going against a Gym Leader for the first time... I just don't quite think it's 'fair'.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I rarely use legendaries when it comes to battling the Elite Four or challenges, I feel like it's a shortcut or a cheat.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I've only ever used a Legendary in my team once: my Giratina on Platinum. I agree, it does feel like cheating to me if you've raised a team for ages and then just replace one of them with an all-powerful Pokemon.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    It depends what you mean by legendaries. If you mean the Uber ones (Dialga, Lugia etc.) then no, I don't use them. IIRC, I used to use them when I was younger, but I don't now. I think i used a Lugia on my Pokemon Silver when I went through it for the first time.

However, I do use legendaries like Suicune. Heck, I have one on my Soul SIlver. Not all legendaries are extremely powerful, and to those saying it's like cheating: the high catch rate makes up the training imo, unless you use a Master Ball (I used a Ultra Ball to catch my Suicune, I think. It's a shame you get it so late in the game, and I much preferred its lcoation in Pokemon Crystal.)

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Of course I capture legendary Pokémon, but never seriously use them in battle.
    In my opinion, it's just rather lame and cheap.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I'm probably one of the only ones with this line of thought, but I honestly don't think using a legendary does make the game any easier to go through. In fact, I think it makes it a bit more difficult. Maybe most of the legendaries just don't fit my battling style... I don't know... but any time in the past I had a legendary on my team, I found the game a bit harder. When I was younger, I used legendaries. They were hard to catch, I felt not using them would be wrong. I had all three of the birds on my team the first time I played Red. And the first time I played Silver, I had two of the three dogs on my team. I quickly switched them out for the Pokemon I'd previously trained, though, in both situations. Now, legendaries just sit in my PC with the rest of the Pokemon I'll never use. Rare they may be, but I've yet to see the appeal.

Back