• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New: £44.99, Pre-Owned: £43.99

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I used to buy a lot of preowned games, but these days the discs are scratched so much. Can people not actually look after their discs properly?! I'd now only buy pre-owned if I can't find the game that I want anymore.

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
    Years
  • These days I just buy pre-owned and shop around various different places until I find the cheapest price possible. I try to save up my money for the uncertain future, so I consider this a necessity for myself.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    GAME prices are a joke. Go into a store and you'll probably find preowned games that was priced the same as, or more expensive than, brand new ones. They really need to check their stock and keep prices up to date <_<.

Years
  • 80 dollars damn! I live in the UK and I would be VERY reluctant to spend more than £50 on a game. I like buying new but I rarely buy new games shortly after they come out. I usually get new copies years down the line, so they're still factory sealed and in best condition but they cost like half the price or whatever. I only buy day 1 or close to release on occasion, for example the Bloodborne release. Don't plan on doing that again for a while! Games lower in price so much. Except Nintendo games..

Depending on the game, waiting several years for a price cut seems daunting so I only resort to buying new if it's a game that has been on my wishlist for about a year or so, or ever since the initial announcement. It's definitely harder for Canadians to reluctantly shell out $80 for one game...-sigh- Such is life.

GAME prices are a joke. Go into a store and you'll probably find preowned games that was priced the same as, or more expensive than, brand new ones. They really need to check their stock and keep prices up to date <_<.

Exactly! I may not be familiar with the Professor Layton series, but finding a pre-owned version more expensive than a brand new one seems strangely odd.

Years
  • If I know I'm going to want a game eventually and it has a limited production run (most Atlus games, at least historically) or shows signs that it might not drop substantially in price on the secondary market (certain Nintendo games and RPGs, for example) then I'll go ahead and buy new, often day one.

For everything else, it's worth waiting a year or two, as others have already mentioned -- given that a lot of these get "game of the year" editions with extra on-disc content it's often worth sitting and waiting anyway. New is always preferable if the price is right, but I'm a scavenger at heart and if I see something pre-owned in person I'll sometimes pick it up on impulse. The games themselves tend to work fine, but the boxes aren't always in the best condition and sometimes they'll be missing manuals or something like that. (It's not that big of a deal, but I'm finicky enough to be bothered by it and I've been burned enough times that I've learned to check before buying.)

I used to buy almost everything from Gamestop to the point where the local staff knew who I was, turning to Amazon for things that didn't filter into stores often. Shopping exclusively online might have saved me more in the long run, but it honestly wasn't too bad with the rewards program. Over the past year or so I've switched over to a new independent shop that opened up down the street from me. Prices are about the same, it's closer to home, and they also deal in older games and consoles. These types of places often sprout up and then die quickly after a few years around here, so who knows how long it will last? It's working out well for now though.

For things that are several years (or decades) out of print, your default option is buying used, but a lot of the most noteworthy games are being re-released digitally (effectively new and guaranteed to work.) In that case I still prefer to play on the original hardware whenever it's possible and practical, and I'm willing to pay extra for it, within reason.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years

• Depending on the game, waiting several years for a price cut seems daunting so I only resort to buying new if it's a game that has been on my wishlist for about a year or so, or ever since the initial announcement. It's definitely harder for Canadians to reluctantly shell out $80 for one game...-sigh- Such is life.
    You don't have access to this shop?
    https://www.videogamesplus.ca/index.php
    It should be a Canadian store.

I found many good deals here even considering shipping to Europe.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I stick with Gamestop for most of my purchases. I prefer to always have a hard copy of a game instead of it seems the more prefer digital age we live in now. As far as how much I prefer or will pay for my games, I normally always Preorder my games a month before their released and enough information has been leaked on them. I also always go after Deluxe, Limited, Ultimate & Day One Editions. I haven't bought a used game in quite a few years, most likely since I was in high school and couldn't afford other wise. The most I have paid for a preordered Deluxe, Limited, Ultimate or Day One Edition has been 250 dollars. The least I normally pay for my games are 100-120 dollars with the exception of Pokemon games for nintendo which are always cheap and never have special editions for more. Most money I have spent on games in a 30 day time period has been a little over 1,000 dollars back in winter of last year when their were quite a few games coming out I wanted. i never shop to try to get a deal or question or look over prices for games. I just go for the titles I want at the same store I always go to and go for the most expensive copy they have with the most amount of extra content/features.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I stick with Gamestop for most of my purchases. I prefer to always have a hard copy of a game instead of it seems the more prefer digital age we live in now. As far as how much I prefer or will pay for my games, I normally always Preorder my games a month before their released and enough information has been leaked on them. I also always go after Deluxe, Limited, Ultimate & Day One Editions. I haven't bought a used game in quite a few years, most likely since I was in high school and couldn't afford other wise. The most I have paid for a preordered Deluxe, Limited, Ultimate or Day One Edition has been 250 dollars. The least I normally pay for my games are 100-120 dollars with the exception of Pokemon games for nintendo which are always cheap and never have special editions for more. Most money I have spent on games in a 30 day time period has been a little over 1,000 dollars back in winter of last year when their were quite a few games coming out I wanted. i never shop to try to get a deal or question or look over prices for games. I just go for the titles I want at the same store I always go to and go for the most expensive copy they have with the most amount of extra content/features.
    I might have already asked but... are you actually immensely rich? xD

I would mainly buy my games straight from EB Games or Amazon, never ventured into stores like these, but thanks for the information! c:
    I would say Amazon is not the best you can find...
    Even eBay would be better xD
    I've found Amazon prices pretty high even for used copies.
    So I'm sure the provided link will be useful for you =D

Years
  • I would say Amazon is not the best you can find...
    Even eBay would be better xD
    I've found Amazon prices pretty high even for used copies.
    So I'm sure the provided link will be useful for you =D

Amazon is mainly for convenience and impulsive buys, haha. Taking advantage of that 2-day shipping for Amazon students.

Years
  • I typically purchase my games new, or through digital distribution, now that I've relocated to the United States. When I lived in Tokyo, I would gladly purchased pre-owned games, since for whatever the price difference between Yodobashi/LABI/Book Off, the used goods through Book Off would be the same quality, since Japanese take pretty good care of their items. Purchasing used games in the US, I've seen dirty discs, missing manuals/containers, scratches...etc. Not something I like to deal with.

In the rare case that I do purchase used games in the United States, I like to do it a smaller shop. While the selection isn't large, I like to support local business.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I actually prefer to buy games used because they always work fine for me, and even if it's missing the manual, you can look stuff up online. It's cheaper, and works great, so I don't have an issue with it.

As for where I do my shopping, I've been burned a couple times buying stuff online, so I just drive down to the local Gamestop and pick up what I'm looking for. I'm not someone to buy a game on impulse, so if I'm heading in, I'm looking for something specific.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years

• Amazon is mainly for convenience and impulsive buys, haha. Taking advantage of that 2-day shipping for Amazon students.
    Amazon students? 2-day shipping? What kind of sorcery is that? xD

I actually prefer to buy games used because they always work fine for me, and even if it's missing the manual, you can look stuff up online. It's cheaper, and works great, so I don't have an issue with it.
    I've never got any used copy without manuals :D
    Guess I was lucky so far :D

Back