• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Animal Species?

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
    Article said:
    (Feb. 8) - Scientists said on Tuesday they had found a "Lost World" in an Indonesian mountain jungle, home to dozens of exotic new species of birds, butterflies, frogs and plants.

"It's as close to the Garden of Eden as you're going to find on Earth," said Bruce Beehler, co-leader of the team of 11 U.S., Indonesian, and Australian scientists who made the discoveries during a monthlong expedition.

The team also found wildlife that were remarkably unafraid of humans during its survey, he said. The group visited the Foja Mountains, which have more than 2 million acres of old growth tropical forest located in eastern Indonesia's Papua province.

https://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060207075509990054&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Clicking on the link also shows a slideshow of these newly discovered species. This is pretty interesting, considering you would think that by now the majority of the earth has been explored, but then again.. there is so much of the ocean that hasn't been explored yet.. not to mention remote parts of the world.

Discuss!

Trikip

Can you Handel this?
    Years
    Aww...a new animal species? I hate animals...this stinks.

Hitokiri

Banned
    Years
    I heard that in Africa, there's a swampland that's bigger than the state of Georgia that has never even been charted yet ^.^ Really makes you think...

Years
    "scienticsts have found a un-touched paradise somewhere in new guniea, starbucks opens on monday"- Dude on radio,

intresting...

Lucid

Then get out of the thread.

That's awesome, the whole Garden of Eden on earth thing. It's still amazing that with all the scientist running around there's still new species to be discovered. The birds are so pretty, and the butterflies look unreal. But yeah, now there probably will be people disturbing the animals by entering the areas time and time again.

Lucid

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I'm not allowed to give my opinion here.
    "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Trikip said:
    Must suck being a human then...'cause you know, it's not like we're animals or anything.

The kangaroo reminds me of a tiger a little bit, mainly just from the tail I guess. Those birds would have eventually migrated out of that area though, or they already do, just to higher mountain plains. But it'll be too hard to have people get into that area in large groups since it's so high up, the area's already under logging and track and road protection though.

Last edited:

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    Animals are so cool, I love them! It's great that we've found new species of animals!

Hitokiri

Banned
    Years
    Kazuhito said:
    Must suck being a human then...'cause you know, it's not like we're animals or anything.

The kangaroo reminds me of a tiger a little bit, mainly just from the tail I guess. Those birds would have eventually migrated out of that area though, or they already do, just to higher mountain plains. But it'll be too hard to have people get into that area in large groups since it's so high up, the area's already under logging and track and road protection though.

We're not animals though, we're human beings ._.;; *runs away*

I heard that one of the Kangaroos they found in that mountain could climb trees! That's so amazingly cool!

Sorano

幸福☆
    Years
    Hitokiri said:

Actually, technically we are. :x We're mammals~

Wow, thats so cool~! X3 I love animals. <3 I especially love the kangaroo-thingy. Its so kawaii. :33

Micans

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2006
    Hitokiri said:

I heard that one of the Kangaroos they found in that mountain could climb trees! That's so amazingly cool!

Humans are animals. We're Great Apes, like Gorillas and Orangutans.

On topic: Some of the species may not be new, they still have to get them checked or whatever they do to make sure they're new.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
    There is a possibility that they may not be entirely new species if research is done, but its still quite amazing to find nonetheless.. especially the fact that they don't seem to have any fear around humans.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Wow, I just watched something like this on the news yesterday.

Thy could be new animals (that Kangeroo thing is really awesome looking X3) But they COULD also be descendents from animals that already existed. Like, that Kangeroo thingy could have come from an ordinary Kangeroo. Like the theory of how we came from Apes, animals can change too.

Back