• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New build - feedback?

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Title says it all pretty much. My first build, and looking for a little feedback?

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX/M/ASR AM3+ Motherboard
    Hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    SSD: Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 120GB SATA III SSD
    RAM: 8GB (4GB x 2) 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
    Case: Apex SK-386 Full ATX Case
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210

Yes, I am building an AMD hackintosh. This is the main reason for the rather weak GPU: it works natively in Mac OS X. The case I got at Best Buy on clearance for 29.99. It's steel, 5 hard drive bays and 5 5.25 inch bays, so I think I got a good deal. Motherboard had everything I wanted and wasn't too expensive, so didn't put much thought into that - for anyone who is more familiar with hackintoshes, AMD ones do not use DSDTs. Hard drive was used, which was probably a bad idea, but I barely paid anything for it and planning to upgrade to a 2TB soon. Anyway.. feedback? Thanks!

Flight.

→ Break Away
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    I'm not very familiar with Hackintoshes, but I do have one piece of advice that would go for anyone~

Have you considered using a SSD? These things work miracles on any machine :3

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I'm not very familiar with Hackintoshes, but I do have one piece of advice that would go for anyone~

Have you considered using a SSD? These things work miracles on any machine :3

I listed an Intel SSD in the specs xD

I was looking for feedback on the hardware more.. I`ll probably use Linux more than OS X :3

Flight.

→ Break Away
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013

I listed an Intel SSD in the specs xD

I was looking for feedback on the hardware more.. I`ll probably use Linux more than OS X :3

Please excuse me I MUST BE LITERALLY BLIND LMAO

And the hardware looks pretty good imo, ignoring the GPU because it apparently has some special function under the Hackintosh os.

...and just to add on my BLINDNESS, I was going to ask why you were using Lubuntu, since it's mainly for Legacy PCs and your build obviously doesn't match that description, but whoops it's Kubuntu. I think I might leave this thread before I accidentally tell you to do something that damages your computer xD

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Please excuse me I MUST BE LITERALLY BLIND LMAO

And the hardware looks pretty good imo, ignoring the GPU because it apparently has some special function under the Hackintosh os.

...and just to add on my BLINDNESS, I was going to ask why you were using Lubuntu, since it's mainly for Legacy PCs and your build obviously doesn't match that description, but whoops it's Kubuntu. I think I might leave this thread before I accidentally tell you to do something that damages your computer xD
    Don't worry, I'll check your posts extra carefully from now on. XD The fact that the GPU works in Mac os x is the reason why I got it - os x tends to be very finicky, lol. Still haven't decided on the size of the SSD yet. Planning on 120GB, but considering I have /home mounted on my rather large spinning hard drive, I'm wondering if 64gb might be enough. Basically the os, which is about 5gb, and apps (that's pretty much whenever you sudo apt-get install package) goes on there.

Beachcomber

Wandering Again
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    It wouldn't hurt if you had a little bit of extra space on sda1. If you can pay for the 120 I would go with that one over the 64 just for a little extra breathing room. It's really your preference though tbh

Back