• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Computer or Old Computer

What kind of computer user are you?

• The type to continue using an older computer til it dies

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • The type who has to have the newest computer.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
    Are you somebody who always has to have a new computer or somebody who will hold onto a computer and keep it up to date with software and hardware until it finally dies on you.

I personally will keep a computer and continue using it until it finally decides to die on me. How about you?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    One of my hobbies is to fix old computers up so that they work like new. For most, it's as simple as a few hardware updates (RAM, bigger hard drive, decent graphics card, and sometimes an LCD monitor) and perhaps an OS reinstall if it's running Windows. Sometimes, there's a little more to it, but not often. One of the few things that's tough to upgrade is the processor, and that's usually not a concern for everyday users. Anyway, I'll run an old computer until something that's a pain to upgrade burns out, such as the motherboard, and then I'll salvage what I can and recycle the rest.

The only new computer I have is my laptop, which I got last year in June (it's decent, to say the least). Other than that, I keep my old computers in usage for a long time, so I rarely have to actually replace them.

羨望

のトレーナー
    Years
    I stay with my old computer after it dies on me,Mostly is Expensive to have a new one for me any how I prefer intalling a Linux or BSD and upgrading the Ram,HD.ect

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    unless there is a specific thing I need to do that my current computer cannot do or cannot be upgraded to handle, I don't buy a new computer. on a serious note, then next time I buy a new computer will most likely be when Super Blu-rays are out , computers are using ddr4 RAM, and terabytes are the standard for notebook computers.

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
    unless there is a specific thing I need to do that my current computer cannot do or cannot be upgraded to handle, I don't buy a new computer. on a serious note, then next time I buy a new computer will most likely be when Super Blu-rays are out , computers are using ddr4 RAM, and terabytes are the standard for notebook computers.
    Basically the same for me.
    My computer is with me till death does us part.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I just upgrade existing things, a simple task really, though as twocows stated processors can be inconvenient.

In any case I'm a voluntary mid-end user — so I don't have the newest things, only what works.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I'll use and keep any kind that's given to me.

I'll say old, since I've been usin' this same iBook for three years now..

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I pour money into my computer because I have no other hobbies, except collecting consoles.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I would stay with my old computers but I've never learnt how to upgrade hardware etc. so I just end up buying new computers when my old ones seem way too obsolete.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I would stay with my old computers but I've never learnt how to upgrade hardware etc. so I just end up buying new computers when my old ones seem way too obsolete.
    You should look into upgrading your RAM and hard drive. These two upgrades are the easiest to make, and they have the most impact on your computer. RAM is by far the easiest upgrade to make; just take a trip to Crucial or Memory-Up, buy some RAM, and stick it in the slots your computer has wide open. More RAM will allow you to do a lot more stuff, and at a faster rate. Upgrading your hard drive's slightly harder, but not much; just search for a hard drive that uses the same connector type as your computer and has more storage space (and optionally, a faster write speed, though this is less important).

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I got me a new computer so i will stay with this. But if i where with my old one i would say new cause that thing is 8 years old with the fuses starting to leak and the go for 100 each now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    You should look into upgrading your RAM and hard drive. These two upgrades are the easiest to make, and they have the most impact on your computer. RAM is by far the easiest upgrade to make; just take a trip to Crucial or Memory-Up, buy some RAM, and stick it in the slots your computer has wide open.
    Well I think...
    [Easy] RAM - PCI - removable storage - CPU - HDD/SSD - motherboard - PSU [Hard]
    Subject to variation depending on machine.

More VM will make as much difference as more RAM if you run games on a computer, Eon-Rider.

Last edited:

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Changing CPU depends on the cooler, pushpins are easy to dismount but rear retention brackets require motherboard removal. :(

Back