• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New evolutions of existing Pokemon, thoughts?

Years
    With every new generation, comes a plethora of new Pokemon, the fourth generation being no different. This time, however, a good amount of evolutions of pre-existing Pokemon were added to the National Dex. The unit of these "new evolutions" as a whole received mixed reviews, there was the well-loved Electivire, the despised Lickilicky, and many other Pokemon that were either loved or hated. I'm curious as to not only what you thought of these evolutions, but if a Pokemon had changed in your eyes after it got a new evolution.

Two examples of this, in my eyes, would be Yanma and Rhydon. Rhydon seemed to be the epidemy of power before fourth Gen, and while I liked Rhyperior's design, it just wasn't the same grinding your Rhyhorn into a Rhydon in my third generation games, knowing it wasn't as powerful as it truly "could be". Yanma is a Pokemon that I never used, but found it's design above average, but Yanmega took all that away. It just seemed somewhat odd that a gentle dragonfly evolved into a prehistoric insect. Anyhow, if you have anything to share about the Gen I-III Pokemon's 4th gen evolutions, feel free to shout.

Years
    First of all nice post.

I think that probopass is designed well. I like him, but mostly because he just seems so ridiculous.

I think Dunsparse was grossly overlooked. If anything deserved an evolution it was dunsparse.

I have a natural gravitation to froslass and mamoswine.

I don't like gliscor for some reason. I think they look dumb. Probably the build of the things.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I personally liked the new evolutions of the older Pokemon because it gave them statistical improvements, like Electivire, Gliscor, Togekiss, Tangrowth and Yanmega.

Years
    I like most of these (Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Dusknoir...)
    I only dislike one: Frosslass.
    For me it ruined one of my favourite Pokemon lines. It's just ugly, to me D:

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    I'm rather fond of Rhyperior. I love how it looks and it's a force to be reckoned with. Before that, I hated the Rhyhorn evolution line. Dusknoir and Electrivire are okay, but the others I rather dislike.

Last edited:

Kninj

Collector Extraordinaire!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    Yeah.. I wasn't too keen on most of them. Magmortar, Electrivire, Rhyperior, Togekiss. None of them really appeal to me, even now. Lickilicky was one of the worst x_x

Gliscor and Probopass i found just about acceptable.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't mind most of them, except for Rhyperior which is hideous. D:

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    I liked Dusknoir and Gliscor and I found Probopass and Magmortar to look ridiculous.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2016
    Most of the evolutions are okay with me, what has bugged me is the pre-evolutions like Pichu and eleckid. They didn't make sense... how can you miss the fact that a Pokemon was a baby in previous generations and then just go, oh hey... we were wrong these were these first. I understand the idea was to inject cuter versions of exsisting creatures but it's weird because I definetly had a low level Pikachu in gen 1.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
    I'm liking pretty much all the additional evolutions and changes to generation 4, for example the split of special and physical moves, makes some pokemon fantastic from it. My favourite has gotta be Togekiss by far, she's a fantastic new addition to the 'dex

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I really liked Mismagius and it became one of my favorite Pokemon of all time! ^^

Back