• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New Feature: Farming Rocks

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
  • So I guess in a way it resembles the underground with the items you get. Now I cant wait to get my verion (even tho I downloaded one today.)

Years
  • It seems there are version differences, because my friend got a Dome Fossil almost right away when he started to Rock Smash.

Also he found a Max Ether, and I haven't found one yet, at first I thought this was version exclusive also compared to my Max Revive, but later he found a Max Revive so I guess not.

-Krobelus

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I've could of sworn you can find items under rocks in the originals unless if I dream about it. But this is really cool, but I wish they put three fossils like the ones from Hoennn under the rocks as well

:t354:TG

Years
  • Yeah, I discovered the Helix Fossil earlier when playing Heart Gold last night as well as a Max Ether. Started breaking rocks for fun when I got my first badge and was surprised to find a fossil on the first try. I wonder if location depends on what type of items you get under rocks because I found my fossil in the Ruins of Alph. Hmm....

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I noticed this first :(. You stole my thread idea

Anyway, there is a low chance of getting the fossils. Took me about 2 hours of smashin'

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • I've could of sworn you can find items under rocks in the originals unless if I dream about it. But this is really cool, but I wish they put three fossils like the ones from Hoennn under the rocks as well

:t354:TG

IIRC, you'd occasionally find a Krabby or a Geodude or something. I didn't smash a lot of rocks, so I don't really remember, lol.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I found a Red Shard, a Blue Shard, a Max Revive and a Max Revive.

I just hope I get to Olivine soon, I remember there's quite a few rocks there...
    *is between Goldenrod and Ecruteak*

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • Now i can get fossil pokémon too, it was impossible in Gold and Silver. So, Omanyte on Heart Gold and Kabuto on Soul Silver, isn't it so? This is good feature, Rock Smash were unnessecary in Gold/Silver now there's something to do with it. I go and smash rocks as I just get Rock Smash but I'm in Violet City (just defeated Falkner and waiting for night because I want Spinarak and Hoothoot). Is Rock Smash TM or HM in Heart Gold? It was TM in Gold but it has been many times HM.

Years
  • I noticed this first :(. You stole my thread idea

Anyway, there is a low chance of getting the fossils. Took me about 2 hours of smashin'

I did not know that. To be honest I never come to these forums before, unless a major Pokemon game comes out, and I only glanced at the topics and didn't find anything about it. Where is your topic?

Also it doesn't take that long really. I personally think it's completely random. I've gotten a bunch of fossils now (my friend in Soul Silver only smashed rocks for a good 20 minutes and found a Dome Fossil).

Later on in the evening I found a Max Ether, that and the confirmation from msdfabio proves it's not just in Soul Silver as I thought. *updates first page*

@Late - It's an HM, ever since I think Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

@msdfabio - I'm thinking that it might depend on the area as well. I'm going to Cianwood later to check out those rocks and see if I find anything different or the same.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I did not know that. To be honest I never come to these forums before, unless a major Pokemon game comes out, and I only glanced at the topics and didn't find anything about it. Where is your topic?

Also it doesn't take that long really. I personally think it's completely random. I've gotten a bunch of fossils now (my friend in Soul Silver only smashed rocks for a good 20 minutes and found a Dome Fossil).

Later on in the evening I found a Max Ether, that and the confirmation from msdfabio proves it's not just in Soul Silver as I thought. *updates first page*

@Late - It's an HM, ever since I think Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

@msdfabio - I'm thinking that it might depend on the area as well. I'm going to Cianwood later to check out those rocks and see if I find anything different or the same.
    I was kidding.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that the rocks in Heart Gold and Soul Silver both had the Max Ether as I noticed this about an hour ago. Sorry.

maplelame

Chemistry final until 24th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2010
    2 hours, god damn, my 3rd refresh at the ruins I found a helix fossil and 1st time I found a max revive.

Twilight Hero

I'm that guy
    Years
  • Ooh, this is a rather neat feature for a rather bland feature, if you ask me. Smashing rocks didn't really serve much purpose in the other games, outside of clearing paths and finding Geodudes/Shuckles/Gravelers/Nosepasses, so now it's nice to have something to look forward to when aquiring the HM. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the underground, I'm happy to have some way to nab shards n' fossils.

Do you think, after aquiring the national dex, you'll be able to find the other fossils?

Back