• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New fossils speculation

Years
  • I'm still waiting for a velociraptor-based fossil. Maybe rock/dark?
    A sabercat one would be interesting too. If they could somehow make a rock/fire sabrecat work, that would be amazing.
    There's also Triceratops. Or rock/water plesiosaur perhaps...

There are a lot of possibilities that haven't been used yet that they could draw off of.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Spinosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Liopleurodon, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Mammoth (an actual mammoth with a trunk, not Mamoswine the giant tusky pig), Indricotherium, Doedicurus, Elasmotherium, Megatherium, Smilodon, Moa, Dodo, Megaloceros. Any of them I'd be happy with. I'm not picky. Much. ^^

ALL of these are good ideas. As are Mosasaurus, Titanoboa, Deinotherium, Leptictidium, Plateosaurus, Iguanodon, Plesiosaurus, Carnotaurus, Entelodon, Sarcosuchus, and Phorusrhacos.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    A Rock/Normal fossil based on mammals of the past or prehistoric rodents would be great.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I think that having Rock/Fire and Rock/Dark would fit well with the theme of the games. Perhaps they could evolve with evolutionary stones as well (just an idea). Or perhaps not even making them version exclusive, or in line with the theme, and doing something totally unrelated and letting you choose (or have both!).

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I would like to have the 3 fossils back like in gen 1 with 2 fossils you can pick and one you get in both version aka Aerodactyl.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I don't see electric-type being a secondary typing for a fossil at I still think it is a modern discovery. If there was an electric-type back then, people would learn how to harness it earlier on etc.

However, I see a Rock/Dark, probably a velociraptor, and a Rock/Water, one of those long-necked water dinosaur things, happening.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I don't see electric-type being a secondary typing for a fossil at I still think it is a modern discovery. If there was an electric-type back then, people would learn how to harness it earlier on etc.

However, I see a Rock/Dark, probably a velociraptor, and a Rock/Water, one of those long-necked water dinosaur things, happening.
    Plesiosaur, I think, is what you mean.

Like everyone else is saying, I'd love to see a third Fossil that you actually get during the story. However, I'd prefer it to be a sidequest which the Pokemon series clearly lacks. I'd like to see a little version exclusivity. So at one point, you have to choose between two Fossils, let's say the Talon Fossil or the Fin Fossil, and by going through an optional sidequest you get the Scale Fossil in Sun and the Horn Fossil in Moon. Those are just names for the sake of this post; I'm not suggesting any of them as of right now.

Years
  • We have yet to see a prehistoric mammal or marine animal. Then again, I wouldn't mind if they did a Jurassic World hybrid and made a witty reference.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think a Rock/Bug in reference to fossilized bugs could be interesting.

Alternatively I'd like something similar to Cradily that isn't a dinosaur. At least for one of them.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    What about the possibility of alien lifeform fossil? Like a fossil that came from space.

It could be interesting if we got some kind of alien interpretation of a dinosaur.

pkmin3033

How about an unfossilised Genesect? How it appeared before it was modified by Team Plasma, I mean.

Also, a Dimetrodon-inspired fossil Pokemon would be amazing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    If these games are truly sequels to XY, then we might not see any new fossils in Gen 7. The last sequel generation was Gen 2, and it didn't introduce any new fossils.

Unlike later gens, Gen 2's Pokémon were designed to complement rather than replace Gen 1's Pokémon, with the starters, Legendary Dogs, and Celebi being the only real expies of Gen 1 Pokémon (as Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle, Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres, and Mew were the only Pokémon from RBY who really were "replaced" in GSC).

If Gen 7's also a sequel generation, then its lineup will probably be similarly designed to complement Gen 6's, which should be easy with as few Pokémon as Gen 6 introduced.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    A smilodon Pokemon and an amebelodon fossil Pokemon, game freak please?

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I'd expect a diurnal and a nocturnal Pokemon, the first would be a dinousaur-based mon (since the majority were active during daytime) and the second one, surprisingly, would be a mon based on a prehistoric mammal (the first mammals prefered to made their life during the night because they hadn't to face against dinosaurs).

Apart of this, I think I'm speaking for all when I say we all want the underground back in Pokemon games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • If these games are truly sequels to XY, then we might not see any new fossils in Gen 7. The last sequel generation was Gen 2, and it didn't introduce any new fossils.

Unlike later gens, Gen 2's Pokémon were designed to complement rather than replace Gen 1's Pokémon, with the starters, Legendary Dogs, and Celebi being the only real expies of Gen 1 Pokémon (as Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle, Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres, and Mew were the only Pokémon from RBY who really were "replaced" in GSC).

If Gen 7's also a sequel generation, then its lineup will probably be similarly designed to complement Gen 6's, which should be easy with as few Pokémon as Gen 6 introduced.
    I don't think that they should make it too similar to Gen 2.

If the legendaries are fossils...well that'll be awesome. I like the idea of them being revived, Groudon and Kyogre were the closest to being this (having to be reawaken and have bodies that look like stone prior to awakening, plus are called Super Ancient Pokémon), and then there's the fossil made Mythical/legendary Pokémon, Genesect. Perhaps they died during an eclipse.

Years
  • I'm thinking we probably won't see more dinosaurs if we get fossils again this time round. We've already got a pterosaur, four dinosaurs and one that's a bird that evolved directly from dinosaurs.

We've got a lot of anthropoid fossils already too. I'm expecting fossils in Sun and Moon, if there are any, to probably be mammalian in nature.

Back