• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Legendary Representations

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    ***Edited for clarity reasons***
    Something I've been wondering ever since Generation IV is how would the next generation of Pokémon would be able to surpass what Arceus represented. In Generation I the legendaries for the most part represented the seasons and aspects of the weather. Gen. II built a little off of that with the three beasts and Lugia and Ho-Oh as the Guardians of the sea and sky respectively. From there Gen. III brought us the overseers/creators of land, sea, and sky and Gen. IV gave us the pokemon that shaped time, space, and the universe itself. The main question here is how do you go beyond that? How much deeper can the origins go? Its not to say the creators necessarily have to go beyond Arceus but if you look at each generation the legendaries powers and representations have all gone steps beyond their predecessors.

This thread is also to discuss what other representations the new legendary Pokémon may have. Generation IV gave us 13 new legendary Pokémon (14 if you count Phione) and so it is fair to assume that there will be a decent amount of new ones aside from the two we already know with Reshiram and Zekrom. Will they be sculptors of the earth or universe too? What higher representations are left to be covered in the Pokémon World? What are your thoughts and what would you like to see? Discuss here.

Quick rundown. Feel free to add in anything else in case I missed something or made a mistake. I'm going based off of all known Pokédex entries and information from bulbapedia.

Gen. I:
    Artucuno: Winter and ice
    Zapdos: Summer and thunder
    Moltres: Spring and flame
    Mewtwo: DNA engineering
    Mew: "Ancestor of all Pokémon"

Gen. II:
    Entei: Volcano eruptions and the flames that burned the Brass Tower
    Raikou: Lightning striking and the lightning that struck the Brass Tower
    Suicune: The North Winds and the rain that put out the Brass Tower
    Lugia: "Guardian of the Seas" and storms
    Ho-Oh: "Guardian of the Skies" and rainbows
    Celebi: Time-travel

Gen. III:
    Regice: Ice Age
    Regirock: Stone Age
    Registeel: Iron Age
    Latias: Telepathy and invisibility
    Latios: Telepathy and imagination
    Groudon: Creator of land
    Kyogre: Creator of the sea
    Rayquaza: The sky and the ozone layer
    Jirachi: Wish granter
    Deoxys: Extraterrestrial life

Gen. IV:
    Uxie: Knowledge
    Mesprit: Emotion
    Azelf: Willpower
    Dialga: Time
    Palkia: Space
    Giratina: Antimatter
    Cresselia: The crescent moon, hope, and good dreams
    Darkrai: The new moon and nightmares
    Manaphy: "Prince of the Sea" and hydration
    Phione: Legendary status is questionable but representation is probably the same as Manaphy
    Heatran: Embodiment of volcanic activity
    Regigigas: Pulled the continents together
    Shaymin: Purity and creator of plant life
    Arceus: "The Original One" and creator of the Pokémon universe

Things I can think of:
    The autumn season has been left out since Gen. I and the legendary birds.
    The full moon could be represented by a new legendary.
    A chaos Pokémon that created the egg Arceus was born from. (That would top Arceus)
    Legendary Pokémon representing death (although Giratina kind of covers that and this is a game marketed for kids).
    If Arceus is the Pokémon God then what about a Pokémon Devil? (Again wishful thinking considering this is a kids' game)
    Legendary Pokémon representing parallel universes, wormholes, black holes, or other dimensions (the Distortion World kind of weakens this idea but it could be pulled off).

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I would say Life and Death or Light and Dark.
    Both of them respresnt a side of the Yin-Yang symbol. Find out what that means and you will know what the represent.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Never thought of it that way, Yamikarasu. It could work, but I'd rather find out when the games come out.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    The relationship between yin and yang is often described in terms of sunlight playing over a mountain and in the valley. Yin (literally the 'shady place' or 'north slope') is the dark area occluded by the mountain's bulk, while yang (literally the 'sunny place' or 'south slope') is the brightly lit portion. As the sun moves across the sky, yin and yang gradually trade places with each other, revealing what was obscured and obscuring what was revealed.
    Yin is characterized as slow, soft, yielding, diffuse, cold, wet, or tranquil; and is associated with water, earth, the moon, femininity and nighttime.
    Yang, by contrast, is fast, hard, solid, focused, hot, dry, or aggressive; and is associated with fire, sky, the sun, masculinity and daytime.[4
    So Resh is Day
    Zek is Night

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Zekrom represents electrical storms and darkness while reshiram represents heat and light.

Oh and this picture doesn't really add anything, it is just sexy:

New Legendary Representations

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
    how does it work if Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon and yet Arceus is the God pokemon that created Emotion, will and knowledge plus the universe... and yet Mew and Mewtwo were suppose t be the mose powerful pokemon.

this game does seem to contradict itself.

Also I think black and white games represent day and night instead of good and evil or light and dark. Though I could be wrong.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
    Since Zekrom isn't a dark type at all considering its colouring it's probably not good vs. evil. That would have been boring and predictable anyways. I sooooo did not see the box mascots, with their monochromatic color schemes (or even the names Black and White for their respective games) as technology vs. nature, did you? Maybe with their tails or names, but just looking at them?

Night and day? Maybe, but I would have expected a dark typing on Zekrom and psychic for Reshiram a la Cresselia and Darkrai. You could twist it that the fire and electric types could be night and day, but you tell me.

With the ominous Black City and serene White Forest, it sounds like Pokemon is going for 'save the rainforests' motif.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    I'd actually like to see Game Freak creat a Pokémon representing existence in its purest form: Chaos. I'm a keen student of the Protogenoi geanology and it seems that Pokémon has covered most of the Great 18.

Let's see them make a trio (or just three seperate, unrelated Pokémon) out of Chaos (Void) Inevitability and Generation. Throw them in next to Arceus and then you have a universal power right there.

Back