• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen New Level-Up/Egg Moves

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    XDDDDDDD
    32 BP?? That is the BIGGEST rip-off for a speed reducing move ever. There are WAY better moves to reduce speed. You'd be better off paralyzing the Pokemon or using one of the above moves that also cause damage. But String Shot? For 32 BP? No...just no.

EcoReck

Just that guy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I almost never use these moves unless it harshly reduces stats.

Casper88

Casper88
    Years
    I think you guys are underestimating the power of String Shot.

In a competitive battle, its all about proper prediction. String shot can stop sweepers in their tracks on a switch....sweepers need speed :)

But at the same time...32 bp? idk

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    Everyone always forgets about Contests...

String Shot, along with Splash and other "useless" moves could fit well into Contest movesets for those particular Pokemon. Even though there's no Contests in Johto, HgSs are compatible with DPPt, so it could be transferred there.

Plus you could just put it on there for fun or for a theme team. Not everything is about pure competitive.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    What about Splash?
    Is a move you can reteach your Magikarp?

Magikarp can always relearn Splash, all you have to do is take a quick visit to the Move Relearner.

As for having String Shot as an available move for 32 BP, I more think it is there for the laughs of the game. I wouldn't consider GameFreak serious for having it as a move tutored move, but you never know. I am not hating on the move, as it can be helpful during early game play, but as you progress farther on, there comes better moves for lowering speed as one mentioned before, plus thy can deal damage against the opponent.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Here's a list of all the Pokemon that get it:

いとをはく - String Shot
    Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Paras, Parasect, Venonat, Venomoth, Pinsir, Mew, Ledyba, Ledian, Spinarak, Ariados, Yanma, Pineco, Forretress, Shuckle, Remoraid, Octillery, Mantine, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Surskit, Masquerain, Nincada, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Armaldo, Kricketot, Kricketune, Burmy, Wormadam(All Cloaks), Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Shellos, Gastrodon, Yanmega

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    As interesting a move String Shot has suddenly become, this thread is on a pretty similar vein on this thread for discussing new moves, so going to merge.

It kinda amuses me - might have been put in as a joke, although I'm sure there's the possibility it may have its uses (if it can hit two Pokemon at once, double battles might actually make is usable especially as most of those Pokemon don't have access to Icy Wind, or as mentioned, contests? Or maybe a joke moveset. =P)

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Eevee has Heal Bell and Detect? Yay moar moves. I was quite the Eevee fiend on my Diamond... *wipes away tear* JANUARY 2008... NEVA FORGET.

Great, now all I need is a Pokemon in it's egg group with Detect... I'll have to level up my Umbreon significantly, though. lol

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Eevee has Heal Bell and Detect? Yay moar moves. I was quite the Eevee fiend on my Diamond... *wipes away tear* JANUARY 2008... NEVA FORGET.

Great, now all I need is a Pokemon in it's egg group with Detect... I'll have to level up my Umbreon significantly, though. lol

Why do you want Detect on your Eevee if it can get Protect?

Protect does the exact same thing, but with more PP.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    well if you think about it the likelihood of using protect 2 or more times in a row is low... so he could just use them alternating, right?

That doesn't work.

Protect, Detect, and Endure all work on the same counter. So lets say if your Eevee had all three, if you used Protect on the first turn, the likelyhood of succeeding for all three of the moves decreases.

That's why nobody uses that Strategy. Because it doesn't work.

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Why do you want Detect on your Eevee if it can get Protect?

Protect does the exact same thing, but with more PP.

Um... I don't battle Pokemon... I just like to give them really weird moves through breeding. D: I did that all the time in my Diamond and it's really fun if (you're like me) and get really into it.

Back