• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] New, Looking for a Mentor.

Silent Crest

Celestial Shine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Alright, the name's Erin and I'm absolutely new here totally confused. I'm a [literary] writer at heart, but recently, I got interested in computer programming, got somewhat good at it and now I want to try my hand at ROM hacking.

The thing is, I program with Java (and with the virtual machine) as my main language, there's no weird hex numbers to deal with. Yes I've looked around (but not extensively), but it seems to be a lot of people who understand how this stuff works and the questions thread seems full of things I don't understand. Anyways, I know some stuff about C++ but honestly, it seems that doesn't help either.

So I'm looking for someone who can take the time to, hopefully, explain, how to even begin ROM hacking, via PM, or otherwise.

Thanks,
    Erin.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2016
    Hex is really quite simple. I'm sure if you use google you'll find a tutorial about it. The biggest advise I can give about hacking is always ask yourself how you can make the game more fun. Nothing should be added just because. Editing the storyline and maps with pokescript and advancemap doesn't make it more fun, it just gives users the same gameplay with a different story. Good luck

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
    Years
    Hello erin, welcome to pokecommunity.

You don't exactly specify what it is your looking to have someone help you learn, if you could give some more information, that would be great.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
    If you want to learn scripting (which is what I think you're trying to say) I would suggest looking up rickk12345. Other than that, I could help you with mapping, Ows, some spriting, tiles, etc.

Just PM me or him.

Back