• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] New Mega Evolutions?

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I really hope so. This is very much a light connection I'm making here, and I know other people have said this before, but if this region is based off the UK, then it would make sense for this region to have connections to the France inspired Kalos, and that big war they had in the past. I don't know if it was ever revealed who the other region was that Kalos had waged war against, but this one would make sense considering the inspirations and how Megas and Kalos are very synonymous with each other. So if there were ever a reason for more Megas to appear, I feel like this would be the generation/region for them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2020
    My guess is that GameFreak has moved on from the mega evolution concept.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think they would have shown it in the trailers.

They didn't show Mega Evolution until much later in XY, SM, and LGPE. So I doubt they would have show it in the first trailer. It also doesn't really matter if it is this game or a later game, as they have broken the trend of releasing pokemon in megas in the first game.

If we do, I expect to have Sinnoh starter getting a Mega Evolution at some point. I think a lot of people are wanting Mega Evolution to return and since this seems to be very focused on what the players want, we probably will get a hand full, but I wouldn't expect them till like July or so to get revealed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    I doubt there will be new Mega Evolutions at this point, but I'm definitely up for new boosts for past Pokémon.

My personal choices.

1. Flygon
    The most ideal, since it's the only Dragon-type in Hoenn that still lacks one to this day. I would imagine it's wings taking on the form of a sun, since Mega Salamence does resemble a crescent moon.

2. Rhyperior
    It'll be a chance to both improve it's design and competitive viability.
    Ideally, it should learn Slack Off or Shore Up to survive in battle much longer to really make use of it's massive HP and Defense. I envision it being Ground/Steel thanks to improved protectors and overall armor.

3. Vikavolt
    I'm rather disappointed at how slow it turned out to be. It's one of the many Pokémon that's cursed with bad speed and awkward bulk, like most Alolan Pokémon. However, a Mega Evolution with Speed Boost would make things even better for this badass Bug/Electric beetle, even if it gets banned in nearly all main tiers.

4. Dewgong
    It now has a strong physical movepool with moves like Drill Run and Megahorn In it's offensive arsenal. It just needs a great physical Ice-type move like Icicle Crash, since Avalanche is a Gen IV exclusive move. I would imagine it having higher physical Attack and Speed. It's horn would be strong enough to shatter icebergs.

5. Escavalier and Accelgor
    Both are counterparts to each other. Given how we're set for a medieval setting in Galar, it would be a fantastic opportunity for Escavalier to receive a Mega Evolution. It could get Stance Change, which would give it phenomenal Speed and physical Attack on one stance, and near impenetrable defenses on the other.

A Mega Accelgor could be Bug/Water, since it can learn Water Shuriken. It might learn a Water-type ball move similar to Energy Ball. I also contemplated Bug/Dark for the thief motif, but it's pre-evolution; Shelmet, is normally found in watery fields in marshlands.

6. Gogoat
    Mainly to have a powerful force to help defend any sacred hill in Galar. It would have an even stat distribution, since it's almost relatively balanced. I would like it to learn Earth Power, since it naturally has a decent Sp. Atk stat.

Years
  • You know, when mega evolutions were first released, I wasn't too excited about them, and I'm still not crazy about them because a great majority of them have lackluster designs imo, but there are some Pokemon that became relevant purely due to their mega i.e. Lopunny who I love, so megas can be good. That said, if they do introduce new megas with this game, I hope they follow the lead of enhacing a Pokemon rather than giving it a boring, buffed out new form. I'm looking at you M-Swampert.

Years
  • nah.

as much as I want mega evolution to be a thing again, I feel like Game Freak is significantly much more interesting in showing off whatever the new generational gimmick is. introducing mega evolutions would take away from that when they want to attract new people with shiny new toys to play with.

it's kind of a shame because I personally want Game Freak to make more megas and even regional variants, but it is what it is.

Years
  • Im hoping we will get mega evolutions of lower tier pokemon that alot of fans love but arent competitive pokemon. Personally i want mega rapidash with being fire/fairy and look similar to a Pegasus

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves

Do you think that Mega Evolution will make a return? If so which ones? Any top contenders you'd like to see get one?

How do you feel about Z-Moves returning? Which ones do you think will make a return? Any new ones you could think of? Maybe they should be hit with the nerf bat?

Years
  • nope. Game Freak is likely going to leave Mega Evolution where it started: in Gen 6.

The same with Z-moves but in Alola. Especially since Z-moves were pretty much tied to Alolan culture, I don't see them being a thing beyond possibly being mentioned in a minor dialogue in the game somewhere where you're given the Z Crystals.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I know it is a very popular feature and technically we got 2 Megas in SM with Necrozma and Greninja, even though they were specifically called megas.

I am hoping that Pokemon from Unova get some love for Mega Evolution if it returns. Namely Bisharp who goes well with the region. I'd also love for the Sinnoh starters to get Megas. Especially Empoleon who is a Knight and could easily become an Ice type.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2023
    I would love more Megas in fact:
    Here are my ideas for Mega Swanna and Mega Skuntank

Mega Swanna
    Water Flying
    Drizzle
    75 HP/ 97 Atk (+10) / 63 Def / 157 SpA (+70) / 63 SpD / 118 Spe (+20)

Mega Skuntank
    Poison Dark
    Intimidate
    103 HP / 120 Atk (+27) / 90 Def (+23) / 81 SpA (+10) / 81 SpD (+20) / 104 Spe (+20)

Last edited:

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I believe every starter deserves to be able to Mega Evolve, but I get the feeling that new Mega-Evolved forms might not be likely at this point in time.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I feel Z-moves are restricted to the Alola region, and Game Freak seems to have dropped the idea of creating more Mega forms, sadly. I say that because there are still many deserving Pokémon that have been left out!

You never know, Galar might have a new mechanic of its own. They may even include alternate forms based on the environment, just like we had with Alola!

Years
  • Unfortunately, I think we're done with Z-moves. A pity, because I actually prefer them to mega evolutions. Mega Evolution just constantly reminds me of Digimon and I don't know how to feel about it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    If they are gonna drop the megas then... BAN the existing ones! It's not fair for the other pokemon...
    I feel they can keep the megas going tho. We saw Flygon in the trailer... UK has a big Dragon mythology. It may be time for the long-awaited Mega Flygon.

Last edited:
    Back