• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New player, need advice!

Years
  • Yeah I'm a new player to the TCG and was wondering which starter deck is best to buy and which booster packs are best to buy to make my own deck. I use to collect the cards during the 1st gen of the TCG. Old school players know which ones I speak about, so I need some advice. THANKS!

Years
  • Yeah I'm a new player to the TCG and was wondering which starter deck is best to buy and which booster packs are best to buy to make my own deck. I use to collect the cards during the 1st gen of the TCG. Old school players know which ones I speak about, so I need some advice. THANKS!
    Um... depends... are you going to be going to tournaments?

Years
  • Um... depends... are you going to be going to tournaments?

Yeah its local stuff around the city I've heard off. I kinda got bored with Yu-Gi-Oh because of the swell of LS, anyway like which of the pre-constructed decks are better. I'm going to buy one of them so I can learn the game and like I said, which of the decks is best to use.

Years
  • Yeah its local stuff around the city I've heard off. I kinda got bored with Yu-Gi-Oh because of the swell of LS, anyway like which of the pre-constructed decks are better. I'm going to buy one of them so I can learn the game and like I said, which of the decks is best to use.

I personally don't know because I don't buy them (they're pretty weak if you're going to be doing tourneys anyways, though), but usually the most useful cards you can pull from one are Roseanne's Research and maybe the focus card of the deck.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    Maybe the Rebellion theme deck, then, buy a Giratina LvX tin. Or, flourish with Shaymin level X tin. Maybe Drillpoint with Flygon LVX. Then, just tweak it with other cards how you like it.

!MajesticSmeargle!

Let's Seperate Our Worlds
    Years
  • You do know that Flygon lv.X doesn't come in a theme deck right? That;s just the normal flygon.

Anyways, you should get a theme deck that has actual good cards, I would suggest the new Milotic one since it comes out with good supporters such as Roseannes Research. Remember trainers and supporters is the heart of the deck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2009
    The strongest of the starters is the Arcanine/Venasaur (in my opinion).
    I bought the Milotic one last week (I just re-started) and I already have it a completely different deck and none of my friends can beat it. I doubt it's tournament worthy, though.
    But the booster packs i was buying were pretty much random.
    I'd go for Rising Rivals, though. It has the most cards that would benefit the deck.
    And if you buy the packs with 2 Rising Rivals and another pack, get either Legends Awakened, Secret Wonders, or DP Stormfront.

The main cards that would benefit you out of the sets are:
    Legends Awakened -
    Regice
    Deoxys
    Mesprit
    Uxie
    Azelf
    Froslass
    Kyogre

Secret Wonders -
    Mew
    Suicuine
    Blastoise (if you want to get rid of Swampert, Mudkip, Marshtomp).
    Gardevoir

Stormfront -
    Empoleon (again, if you want to get rid of Swampert).
    Gengar
    Gyarados
    Roserade

Back