• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokémon Types

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    Sorry again if this has already been done or should be somewhere else :D

Ok so if any more types were to be introduced, what would it be, what would it be super-effective against and what would be super-effective against it?

Personally I don't want any more, unless they came up with something other than Dragon itself to be super-effective against Dragon.
    But what do you think??? :D :D

Years
    I tought about that earlier today actually. But I couldn't come up with any good ideas for a new type, even though I think there's room for more types. :]

Edit: If they were to release a new type, there would be a lot of work to make it fit in with all existing Pokémon, Moves etc.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't think new types would be created because Psychic was originally overpowered in Gen I, so they created the Dark and Steel types to keep it in check. Right now, no type is stronger/weaker than the other, so I see no reason for GameFreak to make a new type to balance the type chart out.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    It's been asked in the RH section before. No, I don't think so, because everything was evened out in Gen II with Dark and Steel, and there's no need to add even more confusion into the typing system.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The one thing I'd like to see would be a type of which Poison and Grass Pokemon could overpower effectively. I've always found that, even post-Gen II, those types have receded into the backburner in comparison to others. So, maybe a new type could be introduced to give them some form of self-esteem boost? Maybe a 'synthetic' type which succumbs to Poison and 'nature' i.e. Grass Pokemon? The Porygon evolution could certainly fit under this! Maybe I should call up Game Freak with this new-and-obviously-amazing idea.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    The one thing I'd like to see would be a type of which Poison and Grass Pokemon could overpower effectively. I've always found that, even post-Gen II, those types have receded into the backburner in comparison to others. So, maybe a new type could be introduced to give them some form of self-esteem boost? Maybe a 'synthetic' type which succumbs to Poison and 'nature' i.e. Grass Pokemon? The Porygon evolution could certainly fit under this! Maybe I should call up Game Freak with this new-and-obviously-amazing idea.
    That would make sense, Poison does often seem to be left out as does Grass.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    The current types cover everything very nicely. Nothing essential is missing.

There is the elemental types:
    -Fire,Water,Electric,Ice,Grass,Ground
    The species types (because they directly related to the organism itself):
    -Bug,Ghost,Dragon,Rock,Steel
    And the technique/strategy types:
    -Fighting,Psychic,Poison,Flying,Dark
    And Normal which is the non specialized/default type.

The usual ideas that people bring up include:

Light - This is completely covered by the energy types Fire and Electric. Mostly everyone argues that Dark needs an opposite type, but that is based on misunderstanding of the concept behind the Dark type.
    Dark is not actually about darkness and shadows. Those are secondary effects of it and even more prominent in the Ghost type, just as light is a secondary effect of Fire/Electric. Dark is really a battling style/approach. Just as Fighting uses martial arts and muscles as its advantage, or Psychic using its superior mental abilities instead. Dark is the unfair strategy. Cheap, nasty, sneaky tricks. Simply biting, Flinging stuff, stealing, Sucker Punchs, surprise attacks..
    In case that isn't obvious enough, note that the direct translation of the Dark type from japanese games is Evil type.

Wind - its a general extra effect. Usually whenever you have some windy noteworthy attack, the stuff it is tossing around is more important type-wise than the wind itself, ie Sandstorm, Leaf Storm/Leaf Tornado, Fire Spin, Twister. And when it doesn't, Flying has proven to step in and claim it, which is good as Flying is the least interesting type otherwise of them all. I wasn't 100% sure about that until Tornadus finally made it official.

Sound - Another secondary attribute that doesn't allow enough variety for a type of its own. You can cause sound with literally anything.

Sand, Mud or whatever - completely covered by Ground

Space - One suggestion I never really understood.. what would it be about, vacuum?? That's less interesting than anything else.
    If the point was to add something more mythical or ancient, Dragon, Psychic, Ghost and Rock are the types to use.

With my personal three sided classification above, ideas that could come up would include more "species" types... maybe Mammal, Monster, Fish?
    But those would just cause a giant mess... there's egg-groups to do that.
    The question then though is, are the current species types necessary?
    -Bug - the sole idea for the franchise came from the hobby of collecting insects.
    -Dragon - mythological creatures that are an enigma, since there is nothing like them actually in the real world, yet every continent knew what dragons are since ancient times. It gets fishy when you get to Dragon-type attacks, but otherwise deserved spot.
    -Ghost - since there is a default type, an Abnormal type makes sense. Its about weird creatures that dont seem to make sense biologically. Has a strong relation to shadows/night-time too.
    -Rock - Mineral based creatures are quite extraordinary too. And it can be used as armor etc. Lots of unique aspects.
    -Steel - in my view, a superior Rock type, but unlike rock it is about materials not usually found in nature, which is weird enough.

These don't imply there should be types like Fish..

So, the current setup is perfect.
    Some of the types might not be completely honest,
    (for example Ice is not about water ice, but about cold, or Fire which could be called Heat type to make it more general, or Steel changing to Metal or Alloy, Bug to Insect, and how Ghost types are not literally ghosts, so something like Abnormal or Weird would be more appropriate, Rock to Mineral etc..) but they are more simple words that anyone can immediately relate.

However there are some holes in the balance, so in my opinion gamefreak should do some more tweaks to the type chart. My full suggestions on that matter: https://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/art/More-balance-204921036

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
    I don't think they could make any new types and actually have them make sense at this point- the only type that could make somewhat sense is a Holy or Light type, however because of the religious implications of a Holy/Light type Nintendo/GameFreak most likely won't. I've seen the argument of "there's Ghost and Dark, shouldn't there be Psychic and Light?" or something worded akin, but it doesn't really work that way, and Psychic isn't meant to be a parallel of ether the Ghost or Dark type.

Also introducing a new type would kinda... not make sense in canon. Dark and Steel were two types that hadn't been known about in Kanto previously which is why they could be easily introduced in G/S/C, because before that Kanto was a pretty closed off region (the only way into it is by boat, or through Johto, pretty much). So yeah. It wouldn't make sense for them to introduce a new type because surely regions like Johto, Hoenn, and Isshu would have already come into contact with the type.

Back