• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NEW POKEMON LEAGUE?

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2015
    There is always a difference between the game and the animated series of Pokemon. One of the biggest differences that i've never really been fond of is the finale. The main protagonist (Ash) always goes to the pokemon league and competes in a tournament to try to become the pokemon champion. In the game, the protagonist just fights the elite four and the current champion. If you ask me that's really boring and it's been done since day one. I am kind of new at making games and stuff but i wanted to know if we could actually make this come to life. Is it possible to take out the Elite Four and the champion to hold a tournament instead? I'd really like some replies and comments on this idea and if this idea is possible, maybe some colleagues to help me make this idea come to life.

herojelly

PMD Puzzle!
    Years
  • This would be quite simple to event in RPGXP really, and it's a great idea. I'm sort of busy on my own game at the moment, so I wouldn't really be able to help you, but as I said, this is a wonderful idea.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2015
    This would be quite simple to event in RPGXP really, and it's a great idea. I'm sort of busy on my own game at the moment, so I wouldn't really be able to help you, but as I said, this is a wonderful idea.

Thank you for an answer to my question. I have one more question though, what does RPGXP mean/stand for?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    RPG Maker XP. Its the program used to create the games (unless of course you mean hacking)

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Actually, that's what I'm planning on doing in Pokémon Nightmare xD

I've already introduced the concept of Colosseums (essentially ported from Colosseum and GoD) to join with the Gyms as optional things for the league, but I'm also going to allow the league to be battled in the tournament format or the traditional format.

So yeah, it would just take a lot of work xD

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I think that the trainer vs trainer style are spiritually in Victory Road.
    But if you can innovate this overused 8 GYMs and E4, innovate!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If you just reworded the Elite Four/Champion, you'd already have a tournament. You face 4 trainers in advancing rounds, if you forfeit between rounds you're out of the tournament, and there's a grand final which if you win you become the Champion. Even in a tournament you're still going to face about 5 trainers in a row. Technically speaking, nothing's different.

I think it's all a matter of how you word it, rather than trying to invent something new. All you need to do is imply there are off-screen battles taking place to determine your next opponent as per an imaginary tournament ladder.

Remember that tournaments are big things, and it'd be difficult to explain away why you could re-challenge it 10 times in a row for training purposes. Even if you only hold the tournament once, what happens if the player fails the first time? Are you just going to hold the tournament again and again in quick succession until they win? Doesn't make much sense to me, and unless you have a large pool of random opponents to choose from, people are going to notice something. And if you do keep the tournament repeating itself, what's the value of winning it? By definition there would be a winner for each time the player entered it, and they could enter and lose it 50 times (i.e. have 50 other winners). In comparison, having a team of people whose specific job is to be Elite and to test the strength of challengers whenever they want explains all this away easily, and makes it feel worthwhile.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    If you just reworded the Elite Four/Champion, you'd already have a tournament. You face 4 trainers in advancing rounds, if you forfeit between rounds you're out of the tournament, and there's a grand final which if you win you become the Champion. Even in a tournament you're still going to face about 5 trainers in a row. Technically speaking, nothing's different.

I think it's all a matter of how you word it, rather than trying to invent something new. All you need to do is imply there are off-screen battles taking place to determine your next opponent as per an imaginary tournament ladder.

Remember that tournaments are big things, and it'd be difficult to explain away why you could re-challenge it 10 times in a row for training purposes. Even if you only hold the tournament once, what happens if the player fails the first time? Are you just going to hold the tournament again and again in quick succession until they win? Doesn't make much sense to me, and unless you have a large pool of random opponents to choose from, people are going to notice something. And if you do keep the tournament repeating itself, what's the value of winning it? By definition there would be a winner for each time the player entered it, and they could enter and lose it 50 times (i.e. have 50 other winners). In comparison, having a team of people whose specific job is to be Elite and to test the strength of challengers whenever they want explains all this away easily, and makes it feel worthwhile.
    Fighting versus the same opponents at same order is a common thing in various RPG-like games. And like some clichés of almost any door is unlocked, only one room houses, random encounters, etc, won't be too necessary to change.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2018

Actually you can try something like if the player loses he will be teleported into the waiting room,and the rival beside you says.."hey you dozed off were you having a terrible dream ,if you are not confident just train some more and comeback".Something of that sort,and once the tourney is over,all the presentation ceremony is done(if you include it in the game),then kick the player outside the stadium and don't allow him to enter. :p

edit:I am just another noob :X

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Ah, the "all just a dream" approach. Doesn't explain the Exp gain/levelling the player would manage before losing, though. However, that can be overcome by saving a copy of the player's party when they enter, and if they lose, restoring that version of the party (easy to do). You could even do this between rounds for a bit more "pre-match jitters" feeling.

Don't give the player access to a Poké Centre between rounds, of course. Perhaps this can be a rule of the tournament.

It's a good idea, in that it fits and makes sense. It may even be a rare good example of "all just a dream", if you explain that the player character can find out about the opponents and their Pokémon beforehand from random billboards, etc. (even if the player themself isn't specifically told what they are) so that losing a fight isn't a spoiler in-game (just to the player).

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    Different ideas for a "real" tournament.
    1)If you lose, you lose. You don't get to become the champion, and a different ending cinematic plays.
    2)Losing gives you a game over (return to title screen.) Advise saving before battles
    3)"Retry" option

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2015
    God i am getting really hyped up now!! I wasn't really expecting alot of feedback due to the fact that I'm just a newbie but now i really want to make this dream of a tournament to come alive. I've already thought of a title for the game and everything. God I'm so ready to start working on this game.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Just give a game over when the player looses.
    or show black screen, saying "try again?"

that way you don't need to have some stupid narrative explaining it.

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
    Years
  • I thought of doing that a long time ago. :p too bad I stopped making my game....

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2018
    I have a doubt...is it possible to completely erase what happened in a event like battling and level up and send the player to the previous point it's saved?.If that can be done,won't it be a better option for the tournament thingy?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Just leave it as is.

The Pokémon League is one of the few sources of constant battles for the player to train on, and by far most effective considering the levels of Pokémon you face and the experience bonus to trainer battles. You're already punished for losing at this stage by losing a large amount of money, why do something that just serves to really frustrate the player by making it twice as hard to train their Pokémon up?

One of the most important things you have to keep in mind when making a game is the balance between doing things from a perspective of the storyline and from the perspective of the players. When I was playing Black and White I found that there were no training areas anywhere near as good as repeatedly wiping against the Elite Four, in terms of efficiency of experience gained over a time period. When you get to a certain point it's also possible to make back the money you lose from wiping out against trainers. Yes, this is a sign that Black and White have areas of poor game design if people have to resort to this but it's just as important to the players' overall enjoyment of the game that they're able to actually do this. Nobody likes to have the efforts they've just made rendered completely meaningless by the game - and in a game usually far, far more forgiving of loss than the traditional RPG this is a bad design.

Last edited:
    Back