• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] New PS4 Games Must Be Compatible on PS5 Starting in July

Years
  • With the second half of 2020 drawing near, despite the uncertainty around the world due to the coronavirus pandemic, Sony is beginning to set its path forward towards the release of the PS5. With the system planned to arrive this holiday season, the company is setting its sights on moving forward to its next-generation console, and that seems to include the guidelines in place for new PS4 games.

In a report from Eurogamer, Sony has seemingly outlined with developers that new PS4 games that are submitted for certification after July 13, 2020 must be compatible with the PS5 once they release. Seemingly, this would mean that any new games being submitted must be able to run on the new system's hardware without any issues, and with a feature set that is comparable to the game's PS4 version. According to Eurogamer, this would also apply to any game updates or patches that are released for the title after its launch, to bring both versions to parity with one another.

The report also states that Sony will be contacting developers with details on testing compatibility for their games with PS5. Eurogamer clarified that these new guidelines from Sony will apply to games that are submitted for certification after July 13, 2020; if a title or update was submitted prior to that date for certification, compatibility with PS5 hardware won't be required, but instead "strongly recommended." After that July date, any software submitted will require PS5 compatibility and "must stay so" with future updates or patches.

Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/ps5-ps4-games-compatibility-sony-july-2020/

pkmin3033

This is good news, although I still worry about all the games already on PS4. The implication that only about 100 will be backwards compatible from the beginning and the rest will come selectively through updates or not at all bothers me...partly because I am willing to bet the majority of the PS4 titles I own will not make the cut, and partly because that's just not how backwards compatibility should be. They've really fouled this up...like they have everything else PS5 up to this point. The reveal event coming at the start of next month really is going to make-or-break it, at least for me.

...that said, I will buy one regardless because of the exclusives, but when I buy one and how happy I'm going to be is going to depend a lot on both this and the pricing. Future-proofing backwards compatibility is nice, but there are a lot of games already out.

Years
  • This is good news, although I still worry about all the games already on PS4. The implication that only about 100 will be backwards compatible from the beginning and the rest will come selectively through updates or not at all bothers me...partly because I am willing to bet the majority of the PS4 titles I own will not make the cut, and partly because that's just not how backwards compatibility should be. They've really fouled this up...like they have everything else PS5 up to this point. The reveal event coming at the start of next month really is going to make-or-break it, at least for me.

...that said, I will buy one regardless because of the exclusives, but when I buy one and how happy I'm going to be is going to depend a lot on both this and the pricing. Future-proofing backwards compatibility is nice, but there are a lot of games already out.

I doubt there will only be 100 bc titles, I think that is the number of games that will act if it was native on the ps5 since I did read somewhere for the ps5 that there will be games that will have higher resolution and framerate from the ps4 catalog. Don't completely quote me on that, I'm just going by what I've heard.

Back