• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Region, Same Pokemon?

Years
  • Recently I had an idea. What if we got new games with an all new region, new features, new items, etc. However, there would be no new Pokemon. Personally, I'm getting tired of trying to keep track of all these Pokemon, but I like to see new environments. This seems like a really good way to push out a new game without turning more inanimate objects into Pokemon.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm all for something like this, but in addition to the new games with new Pokemon. For me, walking into that grass and seeing a brand new Pokemon is an experience I can relive over and over again, and I've been able to. Bad designs aside, I really enjoy being able to keep track of all the new Pokemon. So if something like you suggested would be implemented, sure I'd play it. It just deviates a bit from the normal script is all.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If there were no new pokemon, the games would die. I would stop buying the games if there were no new pokemon. The only way I would buy a game with no new pokemon is if it was a remake or in a current generation like Heartgold, ect.

I am pretty sure a lot of other people would stop buying the sames if there were no new pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    This topic actually sounds like Kalos...
    Kalos wasn't fun to explore what such minor new Pokemon. If a new region was introduced with the same 721 Pokemon it would be Kalos but worse.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    No thanks.

One of the best parts of a new generation for me is discovering the new pokemon. It wouldn't feel like a new generation otherwise. You're not required to catch all of the pokemon, besides Pokemon Bank, the GTS and Wonder Trade are the ultimate tool towards getting more pokemon. Pokemon Bank allows us to build up a persistent collection.

There are more pokemon than there used to be, but there are also more accessible ways to get pokemon than ever before. I'd rather try to collect 1000 pokemon in the current generation than 151, 251 or 386 in the first three generations.

Granted I'd probably buy it, but I can't guarantee my interest would persist if Pokemon went down this path.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

That sounds like a job half-finished, to me...I would have thought that designing a new region would be more work than making a new generation of Pokemon as well, to be honest. I think if this ever were to occur in the future, Nintendo would need to step it up a notch in the gameplay department to make up for it - after all, the spinoffs did alright with no new Pokemon, but that was because of the gameplay changes.

Personally, if I was going to buy a new Pokemon game set in a new region but with no new Pokemon, I would expect a lot of new gameplay features to make up for that. It sounds intriguing, but it doesn't seem very likely.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Pokemon X and Y was practically Kanto 2.0
    There weren't that many new pokemon introduced and there were a lot of Kanto pokemon with mega evolutions. There were the legendary birds, Mewtwo and Snorlax with the flute.

So I think we already have a game like that lol.

Years
  • I'm really surprised at the support for new Pokemon. Looking through the responses, Kalos did have a really great balance. New region, new features, and not a ton of new Pokemon (therefore less terrible ones).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yup, I've had this same, exact idea plenty of times before, and I don't believe it would be so bad.

There are currently over seven-hundred Pokémon out there, with more being continuously added. Each and every time they do add, it becomes even more tough to complete PokéDex and whatnot, which, I feel, is something that most of us want to achieve someday, or have at least wanted. Back when generation three was still active, I thought that the amount of Pokémon they had was unbelievable, and even so, I've managed to capture a lot of them. However, if I try to perform any of this now, it would consume ten-times more time and energy, I feel.

Pokémon are like animals, so in some ways, it does make sense to have a variety, but I still believe that it would be worthwhile had they limited themselves every now and then. If they have design ideas and wish to put them into work, there are plenty of other ways to actually do it, such as creating mega-evolutions, secondary forms, and so forth. Speaking of mega-evolutions, I'm glad that they've introduced such a feature; whether it be intentional or not, they'd likely be slowed down by it.

There are countless amount of Pokémon in which they could work with, so if they were to introduce a game without any new Pokémon at all (except for megas and whatnot), it would be great. There are many of them which some fans don't know about, such as Relicanth, and if they were to be used more, it wouldn't do harm in any way, I feel.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah I've thought about this and I kinda hope they try it out sometime. Honestly I don't care so much about getting more Pokemon as I do just a new region to explore with new people to battle. I can use the same Pokemon over and over and never get bored, what bores me eventually is traveling through the same region over and over.

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    I would just like to say this:

The reason why XY had initially only 69 pokemon (and later 71) is because of what happened in the previous generation with BW & B2W2. They had released over 150 pokemon I believe but the games received so much negative feedback due to the fact that there were NO returning pokemon in the main game. So, GF tried to take a different approach and released little pokemon however they also brought back many old pokemon. They added Megas also to bring spotlight to older pokemon.

So if Game Freak was going to make a game like this at this moment, then they would pretty much be committing suicide (Because the past 2 generations weren't as famed by the mainstream as generations before).

At least if they did a game like this, be sure to do it right. I don't know how that could possibly work, but there is a way.

Years
  • The only time that would be acceptable would be for remakes and even then it would seem kinda lazy. I like new pokemon, it expands the game and spices it up when it starts to become stale.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As far as games go, what matter most, I feel, are mechanics and plot. As far as Pokémon themselves go, they don't exactly contribute much to actual enjoyment. I suppose it could be argued that it gives you a feeling of adventure and whatnot when discovering new ones, but as soon as we're familiar with them all just like the rest, it probably won't be same anymore.

Years
  • You know, with Marriland's theorizing that the next Gen VI games will take place in another region, I think a new region without new Pokémon may not be the worst idea. I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed XY's massive variety even though there were hardly any new Pokémon in it, and i'm sure it will become harder for Game Freak to create new ideas (yeah, I know I called out people that make that claim in one of my blogs), and I don't feel like I need a bunch of new Pokémon for the game to be good, so I don't care quite as much for if they don't have too many new ones in any future releases.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Eh... that would be all right, I guess. But I basically just keep up with Pokemon to see what creatures they'll keep making. The main reason I even like Pokemon is because of the creatures themselves. Not the gameplay, not the environments, and certainly not the compelling story. Just... Pokemon.

One of the most exciting things I find about a new generation is seeing all of the designs get revealed slowly through leaks and Corocoro. I love seeing something for the first time, and knowing that I'll be seeing and knowing that design for many years to come. It never gets old. And that's also the reason why I love Mega evolutions as well. It's like getting new Pokemon, sort of, because you get to get excited about new designs and not have to change generations.

For a spin-off game though, I find this perfectly acceptable. Because as someone else has already said, they change things up enough to make them suitably interesting. So if they wanted to go for a main series game with no new Pokemon, it would have to be incredibly drastic to interest me. Extremely story-driven with focus on the Pokemon as individual characters and showing unique interesting spins on the established lore of the species. (Kind of like Mystery Dungeon) If they did that, then I suppose i wouldn't mind. But with the series just continuing the way it is, it wouldn't work for me.

Years
  • I would cry.

Further, GF needs to stop spoiling nearly ALL of the new pokemon before the release. Nothing compares to starting a pokemon game for the first time and having no clue about the new pokemon being encountered, if and what they evolve into.

Gen 1, 2, 3, and 4, I discovered the bulk of pokemon on my own.

Since gen 5, after the giant leaked pokedex, I have spoiled every game.

Aside from starters, I really want to not want to know. I just can't escape wanting to know though!!!

Anyway, new pokemon make the region. For this reason, gen 6 was a bit lacking in uniqueness given the multiregional feel. It didn't feel distinct, rather, a fan service without limits on the variety of pokemon.

The pokemon should be relative to their environment. A unique environment should have unique pokemon. I don't mind a few old pokemon incorporated, like in gens 3 and 4, but if new pokemon make up less than a quarter of obtainable pokemon...it lacks uniqueness as far as the regional environment. Also, as I noted above, it takes away the element of discovery, which I believe is the most essential component to a pokemon game.

Years
  • I would probably not play a new game that didn't have indigenous, brand new Pokemon. Like, here's a cool new cave...filled with Zubat. No thanks.

I think you play the new games primarily for new Pokemon, not because of the new features or new landmarks, etc. Unless it's an obvious remake like Heart Gold or Soul Silver, that you play for nostalgia coupled with new tech and graphics, new features, etc.

Back