• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Sailor Moon anime to be released in 2013!

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
  • This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon" and to celebrate there was a talk event held on July 6th at Roppongi's Nicofarre.
    During the event, it was announced that a new Sailor Moon anime is currently in the works and is set for release in summer of 2013 with idol group Momoiro Clover Z singing the theme song. Momoiro Clover Z participated in the event through a live hook-up from "Japan Expo" in Paris, France. The girls even took part in Sailor Moon cosplay and enthusiastically sang the beloved theme song "Moonlight Densetsu".
    Voice Actress Mitsuishi Kotono (Tsukino Usagi/Sailor Moon) and Furuya Tohru (Chiba Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask) attended the event alongside Kodansha's Osano Fumio, who used to be the editor of Takeuchi Naoko (the author of "Sailor Moon").
    Mitsuishi talked about how she feels regarding the new anime series, "There are many adults who grew up loving this show, so with the creation of the new series, I think I need to face it by putting my heart in it sincerely, with even more power-ups in intensity than the previous series. I would like to do my best. I wonder, will I appear in it?" Mitsuishi spoke out with a hint of anxiety, but finished up by saying, "In one sentence, I can say that I am looking forward to it."
    Furuya also commented, "Joking aside, I was really surprised that it has already been 20 years. This is the production that I played in for 5 years, and that created a big boom. I was hoping for it to come back again. I'd love to be part of the new anime as well."
    Osano talked about the new anime, "This won't be a movie. We just haven't decided the details regarding the broadcast."
    "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon" first began in the February 1992 issue of "Nakayoshi". Since then, there have been a TV anime, movies, musicals, and a TV drama. It's a series that has a variety of mixed media involved with it. The moon wands and other items have also become extremely popular and it was a social phenomenon back in those days as well.
    The comics and anime books have been released in 17 different languages and have become popular throughout the world as well. In regards to that, they are aiming to release this new anime simultaneously throughout the world.
    Sources = Tokyohive

After years of waiting, we're finally blessed with a new series! ^w^
    So, how do you all feel about the announcement of the new series?
    What would you like to happen in the new series?

Share ~

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I wasn't a big fan of Sailor Moon, but I do appreciate it as the manga/anime that essentially solidified "mahou shoujo" as a genre.
    I heard that this anime will be more true to the manga, which I know will make a lot of fans happy.
    I will definitely be checking it out just to see the changes, even if it isn't really "my thing."

Years
  • I just heard about this last night.

I loved Sailor Moon when I was growing up, but my goodness! it did not age well. I really hope they put a lot of money into the animation quality and cut back on the monster-of-the-week stuff.

If they decide to go with an altogether new story I'm sold. I suppose I'd give it a try if it were just an update, but I'd much rather see a lot of new things.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • but I do appreciate it as the manga/anime that essentially solidified "mahou shoujo" as a genre.

Yeah, it didn't do that.

Anyway, I guess it'll be nice to see Mars in HD. I can hardly remember the show so I guess I'll get through some of the older series in the next 12 months.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Whoa this is awesome! I can't believe they're bringing it back; Sailor Moon was a huge part of my childhood.

If they dub it into English I'll definitely watch it (sorry guys, I really can't stand subtitles so I only watch dubbed things lol). I can't wait to see what they do with it; because the final battle in the old anime seemed kinda like the big ultimate battle. Not sure where they can go from there, but I'm very interested in finding out!

LadyAyeka

Warlord of Aurora
    Years
  • I'm really excited about this new anime having come out!!

Miss Dream, a Sailor Moon fan translation group whose members I am friends with, have put raw video of the event where the anime was announced on their YouTube channel; they have also fansubbed it and according to their Twitter (which I just checked) they are in the process of uploading the fansubbed version as I write this.

The thing about it being close to the manga I don't think has been 100% confirmed, once I watch the stream I'll have a better idea (I was waiting for the subbed version to be available). I'd love if it was closer to the manga though, because the manga is awesomely epic. But if it has some manga basis and then goes its own path like the live-action series did, I'd be fine with that too.

This page has a good overview of everything we know, or at least can speculate, about this anime so far: https://www.moonkitty.net/new-sailor-moon-anime-in-2013-information.php

At any rate, I hope the animation is way better. I mean, it's been 20 years. The series deserves it. But Toei Animation has shown they can do great, up-to-date looking visuals with their last two Pretty Cure series (last year's Suite Pretty Cure and this year's Smile Pretty Cure), so I'm sure we'll be fine.

This is the song that many people are saying will be the new anime's opening theme (this is not 100% confirmed, however): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sientbo1VJc

I like the song, I just don't know if it fits with Sailor Moon. The series' original theme, "Moonlight Densetsu," was such a different sort of song than the song above. Not quite so upbeat.

To give you a sense of the series and the song together, check out this fanmade opening I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2lpj8fp3wU

At any rate, I can't wait to see how this anime goes!

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Whoa this is awesome! I can't believe they're bringing it back; Sailor Moon was a huge part of my childhood.

If they dub it into English I'll definitely watch it (sorry guys, I really can't stand subtitles so I only watch dubbed things lol). I can't wait to see what they do with it; because the final battle in the old anime seemed kinda like the big ultimate battle. Not sure where they can go from there, but I'm very interested in finding out!

Andy I'm impressed you'd even watch anime at all.

I'll be checking it out but I'll probably be going into it blind because I loved Sailor Moon as a kid but I really just don't want to rewatch 200 episodes and I can't remember it well haha.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • It's gonna be a reboot so there's not really any point in watching the old anime for a refresh unless you want to compare it. They want this one to be more faithful to the manga so I guess no filler, no anime-only subplots/characters, and so on. I'm excited for it because I found the original series really dragged on and it's sometimes a bit hard to go back to watch it because of the video/audio quality.

I'll definitely be watching this. :)

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I'm both shocked and excited about this announcement. Sailor Moon was a very large part of my childhood, and I have very fond memories of getting up early to watch the series during its first run, as well as the later run on Toonami. Seeing a series that's closer to the manga also sounds cool, though with the radical differences between the anime and manga toward the ending, it also means we won't see an offical translation of Sailor Stars (in all honesty I found both endings to be satisfying). I also found the live-action TV drama to be an amusing take on the series in a Tokosatsu style, and have played a handful of the video games. All in all, I'll be looking forward to this, and will try to get my seven year old daughter to watch it as well.

Speculation: There will be a crossover episode (or arc of episodes) with either Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter (more likely this since a reboot is currently airing in Japan), given whom Ms. Takeuchi is married to.

Last edited:

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • This is awesome sweeties! I enjoyed watching Sailormoon when I was younger...mostly it was aired right before Dragon Ball. XD

I can't wait for the crossover, I also love Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter.

HarmonyChains

Hex Code 013
    Years
  • I was wondering what was up with all the Sailor Moon manga showing up at the bookstore lately. I went back and tried to rewatch the first few episodes from my old DVD's and I couldn't. The dub is way to cheesy sounding, and it practically made my ears bleed. I'm pretty exciited for a new quality version though, sounds like a lot of fun.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    For this purpose, I should probably start getting back on watching the Sailor Moon series again to ready up for this. I have to say I'd have to wait for dubs as well, as I don't know Japanese and prefer more subtitles. So yeah...

This is GREAT news! I cannot wait, still got a whole year left!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I barely remember Sailor Moon from my childhood, but I did re-watch the first season (with Queen Beryl and company) earlier this year just out of having nothing else to do (and partly because of Sailor Moon Abridged xD). I'm looking forward to seeing how they're going to reimage Sailor Moon with this new series. Watch for my excitement level to rise as we draw closer to when it debuts.

Just please, please don't turn the Sailor Senshi into moeblobs...

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    As someone who grew up watching Sailor Moon, and is a huge fan of the Pretty Cure franchise, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this. An entirely new story would be lovely, or at least a re-imagining of the old, not a straight-out clone with prettier visuals...Sailor Moon is a bit dated now, I think.

I do hope it won't go on for 200+ episodes, though. The Pretty Cure series have all been about 50 episodes - a couple have had sequels, admittedly - and they've been more than sufficient for delivering a solid story. I would hope that storytelling has reached the point in the magical girl genre where that many episodes aren't needed to tell the whole story, especially when the episodes all follow more or less the same pattern, meaning it takes forever to get anywhere.

Back