• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New starter types

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It might just be my overeager imagination combined with my craptastic memory, but I'm pretty sure there was talk around the release of Diamond/Pearl of the starter types being changed from the normal Grass/Fire/Water. Obviously they didn't, and we given the combination that survives to this day. But hypotheticals are wonderful for a place like this!

How would you feel if this did change in, say, Gen VI? Would you change the starter types yourself, if given the power? If so, what would they become? If not, why not?

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    No! I don't want the starter types to change. And I don't think Nintendo will change. It has just been those three for too long. Though it would be interesting if they changed I don't think they will.

Maggazone

Shiny Collector
    Years
    Mine would be phychic, dragon and dark because there totaly different types and I love those types but i would be sooooo hard to choose... depends on the pokemon actually

Kyoto

Hai, wanna pair? ^^
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Nah, starters should be nooby types! :D

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    No, they shouldn't change the starter line-up. Grass/Fire/Water starters have always been a constant in Pokemon games and it should stay that way.

However, I would like it if they changed the SECONDARY types of the starters (e.g. Fire/Dark, Grass/Flying, Water/Poison) for some more type diversity.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I agree with secondary typings changing, but not basic ones. The Fire/Water/Grass triangle is a nice constant, but it would be interesting if they evolved to be something like Fire/Dark, Water/Bug, and Grass/Ghost or something.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It's highly unlikely that GF will be changing the starter types. Grass/Fire/Water has remained unchanged throughout the generations.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Personally, I like the fire, grass and water starters. I just think they need to give them more interesting secondary types, unlike the fire/fighting final evolutions we've had for the past three generations. >.>

Years
    Since it's been Grass/Water/Fire since the beginning, I doubt they will change it, and I hope they don't. We've become so used to those types being the three starters that a change will in starter types will feel weird.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I also hope they don't change it. If they did, it would need to be another type triangle, and I'm not sure whether there is one.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I also hope they don't change it. If they did, it would need to be another type triangle, and I'm not sure whether there is one.

Grass-Ground-Poison

Flying-Fighting-Rock

Grass-Water-Fire

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    i think they should do the regular grass fire water, but then in the other direction do flying fighting dark. like grass-flying, fire-fighting, and water-dark. that way you always have a type advantage

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

Grass-Ground-Poison

Flying-Fighting-Rock

Grass-Water-Fire

Also:

• Psychic-Dark-Fighting
    • Electric-Ground-Water
    • Flying-Rock-Grass
    • Steel-Fire-Rock
    It's not that there are a lack of types, but the game has become pretty ingrained in the standard combo of Grass-Water-Fire. To be honest, I wouldn't mind a change to, say, Psychic-Dark-Fighting: gives a chance to get a really useful Pokemon really early in the game, instead of having to wait until the third gym or so before critters of this type become available.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    I think we do need some new ones..My choices would be:

• Dark
    • Flying
    • Electric

• Dragon
    • Fighting
    • Psychic

• Flying
    • Grass
    • Ground

Of course, this would be fairly interesting to try out on the next game, but it might just make it too easy...*shrugs* I think they should at least experiment with new types on at least one Gen and see what the reviews are, might spice the game up a lot for old players who are tired of the same old same old starting types. It would be VERY interesting actually. Instead of knowing which road to take..eg Fire is always the easier starter to use, but later on it becomes kinda not needed and underpowered, and is a good starter for beginners to pokemon games. Grass is always the hardest to start with, since it has very few gyms it is strong against, and many gyms that it is prone to, meaning its a very good challenge for old and new players alike, but gets tedious and very frustrating (in my opinion..yet I always choose grass..wonder why o.o). Water is usually the middle road, meaning its not too tough nor too easy, and around the end of the game is usually the most versatile, so its good for old players who are sort of easy going and pretty good for new players too. With new starter pokemon, new strategies would be involved and lots of careful thinking as well, and I dont think anything could be better for the next Gen right now, though it could totally backfire and screw it up XD.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    The basic typing should remain the same, but the secondary typings should be more.....unique..Let's say....Grass/Dragon(I actually though snivy would be part dragon, only to be disappointed). Or......Fire/Dark.....Maybe Water.....and.......I can't decide.

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
    Psychic - Fighting - Dark

It was hyped over during the wait for DP back in 2006, and is actually a very interesting triangle.

Of course, it would be interesting to see this mixed with the traditional triangle. Of course, though, we should pray that this doesn't mean another Fire/Fighting type. The joke got old with Infernape, Game Freak.

Noob out.

Years
    It's highly unlikely that GF will be changing the starter types. Grass/Fire/Water has remained unchanged throughout the generations.

Yes, that's right PD! Show the others that Grass/Fire/Water is the best combination. I think there's been too many Fire-Fighting starters (i.e. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Wow, I completely spaced on all those elemental trangles. My favourite idea is Psychic-Dark-Fighting, because I think a Psychic or Dark Starter would be incredibly powerful.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I would love a change to the starter typings, especially to Psychic-Dark-Fighting. If not that though, definitely have those typings as secondaries when they evolve... as long as it's not Fire/Fighting again haha.

Years
    For me personally I wouldn't mind a Dark, Fighting, Flying or Ice type starter, but I think the current system works so I'd probably be miffed if they changed it :) Unless the new ones were UNBELIEVABLY awesome lol :) I suppose with new generations there'll be new changes, but I think it's one of the original formats that really work :)

Back