• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Sun and Moon news coming August 1

Karous

Captain Obvious
Years
  • RE: megas

I don't think they're going to remove Megas but they're definitely going to nerf some of the more prominent ones. Masuda is on record hinting at Kanga nerfs for example. I'm of the opinion Gengar and Mence also need some tweaks, Garchomp to my knowledge is out of favor since the interview I mentioned. imho most of them are fine since Gamefreak is balancing towards VGCs but most of the "bad Megas" are bad because they have OP abilities so who knows what GF plans to do.

I share the sentiment that they also will not add any more new ones. I'd be relieved about that because I'm of the opinion that Megas were great for toys and merchandise sales but not so great for the competitive health of the game. I sincerely hope that Gamefreak actually takes the time to make proper evolutions for the Pokemon that need it (and come on, GF, you will get plenty of merch sales, I appreciate that they want to keep the creative juices floating but Sylveon is literally the only new evolution for old mons we've gotten since DP which was 10 years ago. I have my doubts though, since they were eager to advertise the evos and pre-evos when gens 2-4 were new and we've gotten no word on them for this gen yet. I guess Zygarde technically counts but....meh.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Karous has a point. We could see Mega Evolution retained but we just won't have any new Megas introduced, and some existing ones may have abilities changed for the sake of nerfing them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2016
    I'm just interested in seeing what new Pokemon will get revealed. Mega evolutions and all that are pretty cool, but nothing beats completely new Pokemon in my eyes.

Years
  • I'm just interested in seeing what new Pokemon will get revealed. Mega evolutions and all that are pretty cool, but nothing beats completely new Pokemon in my eyes.

I do see your understanding because while Megas are cool I do personally prefer new Pokemon and that's what this news revealed so far has pretty much only been showcasing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2016
    I do see your understanding because while Megas are cool I do personally prefer new Pokemon and that's what this news revealed so far has pretty much only been showcasing.
    Yeah, man. Like, don't get me wrong, I would love to see something like what the gyms are like or maybe the reveal of the enemy team for this region, but nothing gets me more excited than new Pokemon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • RE: megas

I don't think they're going to remove Megas but they're definitely going to nerf some of the more prominent ones. Masuda is on record hinting at Kanga nerfs for example. I'm of the opinion Gengar and Mence also need some tweaks, Garchomp to my knowledge is out of favor since the interview I mentioned. imho most of them are fine since Gamefreak is balancing towards VGCs but most of the "bad Megas" are bad because they have OP abilities so who knows what GF plans to do.

I share the sentiment that they also will not add any more new ones. I'd be relieved about that because I'm of the opinion that Megas were great for toys and merchandise sales but not so great for the competitive health of the game. I sincerely hope that Gamefreak actually takes the time to make proper evolutions for the Pokemon that need it (and come on, GF, you will get plenty of merch sales, I appreciate that they want to keep the creative juices floating but Sylveon is literally the only new evolution for old mons we've gotten since DP which was 10 years ago. I have my doubts though, since they were eager to advertise the evos and pre-evos when gens 2-4 were new and we've gotten no word on them for this gen yet. I guess Zygarde technically counts but....meh.

Sometimes I wonder if the reason why we haven't had evolutions of past Pokemon, except for Sylveon, after Sinnoh is due to the backlash they got. I remember several people thought that the Gen 4 evolutions ruined the older Pokemon, and they felt they had too many evolutions of old Pokemon. It feels like GF tries to go to the extremes in order to fix an issue. After the evolution heavy Gen IV we got no cross generation evolutions in V (and only one in Gen VI), after the new Pokemon heavy Gen V we got 70ish new Pokemon...

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Sometimes I wonder if the reason why we haven't had evolutions of past Pokemon, except for Sylveon, after Sinnoh is due to the backlash they got. I remember several people thought that the Gen 4 evolutions ruined the older Pokemon, and they felt they had too many evolutions of old Pokemon. It feels like GF tries to go to the extremes in order to fix an issue. After the evolution heavy Gen IV we got no cross generation evolutions in V (and only one in Gen VI), after the new Pokemon heavy Gen V we got 70ish new Pokemon...

Since Gen 6's main complaint was too little Pokemon(at least from what I observed in most of the online community), maybe we'll get the usual 100+?

Something I have noticed though; so far they seem to be combining some of the stuff that had gotten positive feedback from past Generations. Non-linear exploration and possible back-tracking from Gen 4, story-heavy plot of Gen 5(judging by emphasis on story in the website descriptions and E3 presentation), and character customization from Gen 6. There's also the Hype Training that has a lot of people on the competitive side really excited.

Years
  • For those interested, the developers of Pokemon Sun & Moon have conducted an interview highlighting some interesting points about the games here.

It's cool how they used an even better engine to the one used in 6th Gen, and the reason on why the NPC trainers who want to battle now have an indicator that makes you aware of them. The graphics are even more realistic for a Pokemon game, to the point it makes you feel like you're part of the game and I love that.

Pokemon models in battle are still like the ones we had in 6th Gen, but the addition of trainers standing behind the Pokemon constantly makes the battle feel even more real, being more akin to games like Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution which also had trainers constantly standing behind their Pokemon in battle.

Years
  • I'm hoping for Old Pokemon evolution, except Sylveon we got none since Gen 4.

It would be cool to see more cross-gen evolutions, but ORandAS does have a point on why we haven't had any new ones lately. Sylveon was an exception since it was made to showcase Fairy-type, but I recall the cross-gen evos that 4th Gen gave to us got a lot of mixed reception which is likely why we haven't had any lately.

Years
  • I think we'll get some more new Pokemon, and maybe a little bit of more info on the Alola region and the new mechanic that was shown off in that Japanese trailer. We've been getting hit with batch after batch of new Pokemon, and I think around this time is when we start to hear a little bit more on the region itself.

I'm afraid that you may be right about the last part. I myself am expecting to hear more about 4the Island guardians including Tapu Loki.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think we're see information about the geography or lore of the region this next time, with perhaps just one new pokemon thrown in to tie it together.

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
  • I wonder if the characters shown on the silhouette will be the gym leaders or Elite 4. Probably Caitlin will return and be the champion, who knows.

Also the silhouettes are shown at 1:00.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2016
    For those interested, the developers of Pokemon Sun & Moon have conducted an interview highlighting some interesting points about the games here.

"When the player is getting closer to the trainer's line of sight, the screen will have dark borders, and it will then have an exclamation mark when the trainer has player on their sight."

That makes it sound like some kind of horror movie. You're getting closer to a trainer, and the dark borders get closer with every step... You're only a couple steps away, and the borders have almost completely engulfed your field of vision... Just when you think the world is going to go completely dark, you hear the sound of true terror...

!

"Hi, I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!"

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • They added more sense of reality by things like hearing the sound of waves when nearby the sea.

I love this, I love the sound effects HGSS had, and i believe they removed it in later games, where every step you took made noise and different noises depending on where you were. I really hope they also add in other little things from the old games, like each gym having their own music and stuff as well.

Also I'm pretty surprised that it's a new engine, since it looks a lot like XY but just cleaner, but I guess it's mostly because they use the same pre-7th gen models and pallette. but that's just another reason for me to get excited for this game.

I have a lot of faith in Ohmori. As much as I have problems with 6th Gen (don't get me wrong, they were good games, they just felt...... lacking) he brought a lot of cool things to the table like the Dexnav, and most importantly soaring. I truly believe he could have made ORAS the next HGSS/Emerald if he had more time, but Sun and Moon has been in development for a long time and I'm sure he'll deliver.

I hope the news next month goes more into detail about Hyper Training, and maybe even confirm the return of old features like the Super Training/PSS, a Dexnav equivalent, customization, Megas or go more into detail about Rotom Pokedex. (but I pray to arceus PWT or BF is back but I doubt they'd reveal it this early if they were in)

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Still can't see them removing mega evolution. Sure features get removed, but not battle features. IVs, EVs, Natures, The physical special split, even Reshiram/Zekrom and Kyreum fusion have been added to gen 6. The features that do get removed often don't have a direct impact on the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    For Gods sake , They should reveal the news about New Synchiro Moves and Island trial.
    We already had enough new pokemon , What if they are no new pokemon to discover after game released because GF reveal all of them before tha.

Years
  • For Gods sake , They should reveal the news about New Synchiro Moves and Island trial.
    We already had enough new pokemon , What if they are no new pokemon to discover after game released because GF reveal all of them before tha.

We've only had 25 new Pokemon revealed so far (three of which are one evolution line and four others who are legendaries) so there's a good chance we'll still have some Pokemon that won't be revealed until the games are released.

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
  • I hope they share more of the new pokemon honestly. Maybe a hint of the type of gym leaders also.

I agree about the thought of spoiling the map, it takes away SO much fun personally. Same with the idea of who the main group you are to go up against. Which I HOPE they change up significantly in this game. I would rather see more of your rivals friends to team up and make a positive group vs fighting a negative group (like, how many evil organizations we gotta fight to save the world ya know). Let me be a Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny!

Back