• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to Manga. What should I look for?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    Hello everyone.

My brothers plan has worked in getting me to enjoy Manga and less known Anime's, through Azumanga Doiah, and I want to start reading a Manga comic series.

I don't want a well known one really. The genre I don't really mind, if people are kind enough to post their ideas I can give my opinion on the first impression of them.

I live in the UK and would prefer pretty easily accesible ideas, not too expensive.

Thanks in advance

Shiny_Latios

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Suki, Dakara Suki is a really good series, it's short, but it's a pretty captivating romance series. For something a little longer, Honey and Clover is my absolute favorite series out there, despite how long it took me to become used to the art, the story and characters were fantastic.

Years
    The manga that I read until it was over (at least the first phase) was Gantz, if you can put your hands on that one, it would be cool, Is really interesting but oriented to a matured audience. Full Metal Alchemist is good too, almost the same as the anime.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    My brothers plan has worked in getting me to enjoy Manga and less known Anime's, through Azumanga Doiah, and I want to start reading a Manga comic series.

I don't want a well known one really. The genre I don't really mind, if people are kind enough to post their ideas I can give my opinion on the first impression of them.

I live in the UK and would prefer pretty easily accesible ideas, not too expensive.
    Azumanga Daioh is a very well known anime...

Also living in the UK, I know you'll be stuck finding many manga; anything even slightly not so well known will be nigh impossible to find without getting it shipped from the US. It may well depend where you live though; if you live in or can get to the centre of a large city and find a large book shop you might find what you go after. I just know I won't because I live in a town surrounded by countryside.
    In case you haven't noticed though, manga is always cheap here, probably due to the very low demand.

Last edited:

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    If you're looking for non-commercial manga:

• Kurohime (fantasy, ecchi, comedy)
    • Shiki (horror)
    • Umineko no Naku Koro ni (horror, psychological, mystery, comedy)
    • Yotsuba&! (comedy, slice-of-life)
    All of those are decent in their own right. It really depends on what's available near you. If all else fails, just read online. |P

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Fruits Basket
    Berserk

I think that's a nice combination for beginners, a pretty good shonen, a shojo, and a very good seinen. You will find almost everything in those three mangas right there.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments and have just looked at Yotsuba& which many of you have reccomended and I think it is perfect, it is not a major jump from the Azumanga Daioh I know and love that I will not be scared by it and it sounds like really good fun to read.

PS. Cassino, I know Azumanga Daioh is well known but this is what my older brother bought to sway me into getting manga, which worked.

Years
    If you have Sky then I suggest the anime programme...I can't remember what channel it is but if you scroll to the bottom of the list in all channels it will be there. It has things like Wolf's Rain Ghost in the shell, Full metal Alchemist, Witch hunter Robin and a few other things. It shows it in series and replays so you can always catch it again.

Anyways if your willing to spend a little bit of money then I would say Naruto, Death note, Hellsing Ultimate, Berserk, Fruits Basket, Bleach and Any of the studio Gibli movies.

Also I recommend watching Wolf's Rain on the Anime programme if you do take that advice ^-^

Years
    Buy all the DBZ seasons! I haven't watched them all but I know they ought to be great! Atleast buy the DBZ manga! I 've read volumes 1, 20, 21, and I've read the last chapter (well next to last) of the Cell Saga!

I recomend watching DBZ on youtube. It's a great series

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    NOT INUYASHA!
    The storyline will keep on repeating itself, you`ll start going crazy... I know I have. :X
    And the ending aint too pleasing.

I'd recommend...

*Naruto: You really get hooked on it.
    *BLEACH: You'll also get hooked on it.

... if you can handle shoujo, Fullmoon wo Sagashite.
    It may be for girls, but the story is too touching.

Back