• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to romhacking, where to start?

Days
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Hi! I'm very new to romhacking, and I'd like some help getting started. I've been digging around and there's a ton of different tools and methods, etc. and it's all a little overwhelming so to make things easier for me I decided I'd just ask.

I want to romhack pokemon emerald since that one seems to be the most accessible for romhacking. I'd like to add fairy types, as well as fairy type moves (the hexmaniacadvance HMA file for this doesn't seem to add any of the moves, and adding moves without replacing any seems complicated. HexManiacAdvance and PGE also seem to conflict with one another sometimes? I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I've seen plenty of romhacks from every gen add fairy type so either there's a framework I'm missing or what i want to make is more ambitious than I thought.)

I effectively just want to put some of my own fakemon in the game, starting by replacing the starters with my own little guys. I'm fine with overwriting the original pokemon to do this.

Here's the first sprite i made :>
    Kapwoo image.png

So far i've already figured out how to add my own sprites, and editing movesets with HMA seems intuitive enough. I haven't really touched the map editor, so far I haven't felt the need to. There's already good tutorials for this that I've found.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hi! I'm very new to romhacking, and I'd like some help getting started. I've been digging around and there's a ton of different tools and methods, etc. and it's all a little overwhelming so to make things easier for me I decided I'd just ask.

I want to romhack pokemon emerald since that one seems to be the most accessible for romhacking. I'd like to add fairy types, as well as fairy type moves (the hexmaniacadvance HMA file for this doesn't seem to add any of the moves, and adding moves without replacing any seems complicated. HexManiacAdvance and PGE also seem to conflict with one another sometimes? I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I've seen plenty of romhacks from every gen add fairy type so either there's a framework I'm missing or what i want to make is more ambitious than I thought.)

I effectively just want to put some of my own fakemon in the game, starting by replacing the starters with my own little guys. I'm fine with overwriting the original pokemon to do this.

Here's the first sprite i made :>
    View attachment 154578

So far i've already figured out how to add my own sprites, and editing movesets with HMA seems intuitive enough. I haven't really touched the map editor, so far I haven't felt the need to. There's already good tutorials for this that I've found.
    So it is not recommended to use hma with pge and such so it's recommended if you go the binary route just use hma if so there is a emerald rom base compatible with hma in the discord the fairy script only adds the type and update the pokemon who later gain that type no moves are added

Days
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    So it is not recommended to use hma with pge and such so it's recommended if you go the binary route just use hma if so there is a emerald rom base compatible with hma in the discord the fairy script only adds the type and update the pokemon who later gain that type no moves are added
    Of course there's a discord with information i couldn't find online. Where is this discord?

Back