• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The Noh mask bird reminds me of something from Cardcaptor sakura...and Sylveon makes me think of Sailor moon, so the fairy type seems to be more of a "magical girl" based type than "Disney fairies" imo.

Both types (your magical girl and the Disney-fied) are rather similar though, being "cute" as oppose to something more along the lines of Xerneas, being a bit more of a "magical" and "majestic" look. I'm sure we'll see different types of Fairies, especially latter down the road.

Years
  • I like the idea of the new type :3 I'd say that it would be weak against dark type - since dragons are usually vilians in fairytales that explains why fairy type is good against dragon (usually the main character of the fairytale somehow defeats dragon) but since vilians are usually evil (Dark) I'd say that fairy type will be weak against dark type.

Years
  • I think the whole dark super effective against fairy will only really be valid if this new Fairy type is purely for Disney style fairies. (which I hope won't be the case)

I can't imagine any of the more sinister fairies or trolls being bothered by the dark type.

Agreed 100%. I like to consider trolls, dwarves, and valkyries fairies in some way and I can't see any of them being weak to Dark. I don't think they'll be like Disney fairies though, since Nintendo typically sticks to real animals, objects, or myths, ie Hydreigon is a Hydra and Garchomp is a Land Shark/Jet. I doubt they'll use much that is too unrealistic like Disney

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Other Pokemon becoming Fairy Type?

As we all know, there is a new Fairy type coming, and some new Pokemon are confirmed to be this type. Also, some original Pokemon were confirmed to be this type. But what others will become Fairy types? Well, here is my theories of what Pokemon will become Fairy type.

Pokemon that I am pretty sure will be Fairy Type in Gen 6:
    *Igglybuff and Wigglytuff - Jigglypuff is confirmed to be a Fairy type, and it is evolved from, and evolves into these Pokemon.
    *Azurill and Azumarill - Marill is confirmed to be a Fairy type, and it is evolved from, and evolves into these Pokemon.

Pokemon that might be a Fairy Type in Gen 6:
    *Clefairy (and its evolution line) - Clefairy is classified as the "Fairy Pokemon" in the Pokedex. Based on the Pokedex entries, they state that Clefairy's use their wings to gather moonlight and fly, which seems somewhat fairy like (at least to me it does). Also, based on Bulbapedia, they say that for the origins of this Pokemon, "It seems to be based on a fairy, being a magical, somewhat humanoid, winged creature, lending credit to its name." Also (based on what's on Bulbapedia), "Clefairy is a combination of clef (French for [musical] key) and fairy." Clefairy is also in the Fairy egg group.
    *Togepi, Togetic and Togekiss - While I couldn't find much evidence for Togepi, Togetic and Togekiss provide enough I think. All these Pokemon seem to be very kind and content towards people, especially kindhearted people. Togetic is said to scatter something called "joy dust" amongst kindhearted and caring people, giving them happiness. This Pokemon showers people with a magical kind of dust, similar to the famous fairy that is known as Tinker Bell that spreads magical dust onto people so they can fly. Bulabpedia mentions that "Togetic's design appears to draw inspiration from a fairy, a baby bird, and an egg." and "Togekiss's design appears to draw inspiration from fairies and birds." Togetic and Togekiss also happen to be in the Fairy egg group.
    *Snubbull and Granbull - I couldn't really dig out much evidence but here is what I got. First off, both Snubbull and Granbull seem to be very scary and vicious Pokemon, but that is not really all that true. Snubbull's Pokemon Gold and Heart Gold Pokedex entry states "Although it looks frightening, it is actually kind and affectionate. It is very popular among women." Also, Granbull's Pokemon Gold and Heart Gold Pokedex entry states "It is actually timid and easily spooked. If attacked, it flails about to fend off its attacker." Why would they act like this despite their looks? They seem to be kind and affectionate, a lot like fairies. Also, for some reason, they are in the Fairy egg group. One piece of evidence that also helps out my theory that these Pokemon will be Fairy type is that both of these Pokemon are classified as Fairy Pokemon species (Now I wonder why these Pokemon that are based off bulldogs would be classified as the Fairy Pokemon in the Pokedex).

Pokemon that could be, but will most likely not, be Fairy Type in Gen 6:
    *Happiny, Chansey and Blissey - These Pokemon are really happy towards people, and helps heal them when they are hurt. Fairies can also tend to be this way towards people. Also, they are ONLY in the Fairy egg group. That's about all the evidence I can give, but I don't think that's enough evidence to prove they could be Fairy type.
    *Audino - Pretty much the same reason has Happiny, Chansey and Blissey.

So this is my personal opinion, and please respond on your thoughts about this and what Pokemon you think is going to be Fairy type.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • For some reason, I think Gamefreak's gonna troll us and Clefairy line won't be Fairy type xD
    Anyways... like half of revealed Pokemon of 6th generation is Fairy-type... if this continues not many old Pokemon will get Fairy typing...

Years
  • I don't know about togepi. I can see them ADDING a fairy dual typing, but im not sure about getting rid off one of the dual types to add fairy in. I think it'd change the dynamics too much and remove too much STAB from moves. I could very well be wrong, and it makes sense, but Id be weary.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • They wouldn't introduce a type to only be distributed to four Pokémon. I'd say there's more but they're just keeping it quiet for the time being, I'm hoping for Mawile to become part Fairy Type.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
  • Oh geez... Blissey being part Fairy will make it extremely viable in the ubers tier, implying fairy has a resistance to dragons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pokemon like Azelf, Mesprit, or Uxie becoming a dual psychic/fairy type. (even though we already have Gardevoir being one, but I'm mostly aiming for aesthetics here) I mean, they look like pixies to me, and according to Bulbapedia's physiology about them, they are "small...fairy-like Pokémon"

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
  • I don't think I've shared my thoughts of this type here, so.. yeah, I like it. Glad to see something new since the generation two games. I'm almost clueless on what the type will be strong/weak/resistant/immune to, but I'm leaning towards a weakness to poison, since poison is only strong against grass.. and I can see this happening if they are trying to balance out types since poison is atrocious on the offensive side. I'm not too familiar with the history and backgrounds of fairies and their mythological existence and purpose, so I might be completely off with that thought.

I'm just worried that the majority of 6th gen will be fairy types, since it's new and all. I'm hoping that they alter a handful or two of older Pokemon, because I'm still wanting to see other types and type combinations out there.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also like the idea of fairy types. I think we will see a lot of the older pokemon with the fairy type. Namely, pokemon who were only normal types and are in the Fairy Egg group. I am also going to say that it is possible for Fairy to be weak to Poison, Ghost or Dark types. Fairy Type could also be strong against Ghost. Poison and Ghost would open up room for a 2nd and 3rd Eeveelution.

In the books Fablehaven, Fairies were the creatures of light. Their main enemy were demons which were considered deadly, poisonous and ghastly. This is my reason for saying they will be weak to Dark and Posion

This what I am thinking.
    Strong against Dragon and Ghost.
    Weak against Dark and Posion. ( You could also put Steel types in this)

And to wrap this post up, I would also like to see these combos with Fairy and legendary trio.

Fairy/Dark
    Fairy/Fighting
    Fairy/Dragon
    Fairy/Water
    Fairy/Grass
    Fairy/Fire

Legendary Trio to be Fairy Types with Water/Fire/Grass. This could be considered the Legendary Nymph Trio. (The secondary types could change a lot)

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • These are a list of pokemon that are in the Fairy Egg Group, before Fairy was confirmed.

Pokemon only in this group:
    Clefairy
    Clefable
    Jigglypuff (been confirmed to be a fairy.)
    Wigglytuff
    Chansey
    Blissy
    Plusle
    Minun
    Audino

All these pokemon I think will be Fairy Types along with the baby pokemon of the lines.

These pokemon are in the Fairy Egg Group and in other egg groups. These are the ones that I think are possible to be Fairy Type.
    Pikachu (I would love to see this to be honest, but it kinda destroys the anime)
    Raichu
    Granbull
    Skitty
    Delcatty
    Mawile
    Marill (confirmed)
    Azumaril
    Castform
    Pachirisu
    Cherubi
    Cherrim
    Phione
    Manaphy

There are a lot more pokemon in the Fairy Egg Group, but they either already have a dual type or they evolve into a already dual type.
    To those thinking about Celebi and Jirachi. They already have 2 types, and I do not think they will change the types of Legendaries. This is also possible with Phione and Manaphy, but I do not really consider them Legendary.

Years
  • They wouldn't introduce a type to only be distributed to four Pokémon. I'd say there's more but they're just keeping it quiet for the time being, I'm hoping for Mawile to become part Fairy Type.

This^ I heard that they are most likely doing this. Because he is kinda a forgotten pokemon, also I heard he might have a evolution to? (I think) where you have to flip your 3ds upside diwn to evolve him

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    They wouldn't introduce a type to only be distributed to four Pokémon. I'd say there's more but they're just keeping it quiet for the time being, I'm hoping for Mawile to become part Fairy Type.

Really? Really? Are you sure?

How many Dark types were redistributed? How many Steels were redistributed? The fact that more than one was retyped is a miracle in itself. We may get lucky and get more, but 4 retyped lines is an amazing feat for Gamefreak to pull off.

Back