• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Type

What should be a new Pokemon type?

• Light

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Sound

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Plasma

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Crystal

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Magnetism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Saberdragon

Shoggoth on the Roof
Years
  • I was trying to come up with 100 new Pokemon for a fan fic and I thought that there should be a few more Pokemon types. I have a few ideas for Pokemon, but they don't fit into any of the current 17 types.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Crystal doesn't seem like a type, neither does air since it's just the flying type with a different name.
    Since we have Dark already, I voted for light as it's possible it'll become a real type in the future

Saberdragon

Shoggoth on the Roof
    Years
  • The reason I thought Air could be a possible type is because you could have a non-flying Pokemon use wind-based attacks such as creating hurricanes and tornadoes.

Years
  • I think we have enough types. If they were to make new type I think it would be machine: that way they could classify probopass, magenezone, etc. better.

I like the idea of sound type, but it is not physical. All other types (except dark and ghost) are physical things, but when you hear dark, or ghosts, you think of evil-looking creatures, which is exactly what those 2 types include, and creatures are physical.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Duuude!!!! A plasma type would be awesome!!! they should make that kind of type! ^_^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • None of these follow suit. We already have attacks (games, in crystal's case) that cover that stuff.

Air = Flying
    Gravity = Flying
    Magnetism= Electric and Steel
    Crystal = Ice
    Sound = doesn't even make sense
    Plasma = Fire and Electric
    Light = Fire and Electric

But I guess the better vote is Light.

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
    Years
  • Aether type. That would be nothingness, void, etc. Light's the only on you gave us that would actually be a possible new type.

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    None of these follow suit. We already have attacks (games, in crystal's case) that cover that stuff.

Air = Flying
    Gravity = Flying
    Magnetism= Electric and Steel
    Crystal = Ice
    Sound = doesn't even make sense
    Plasma = Fire and Electric
    Light = Fire and Electric

But I guess the better vote is Light.

You should do some more research on those elements and forces before you start listing off counterparts to them; those you listed aren't really valid.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Light type is the type that sticks out the most since other types like "air" are basically flying and the some like "sound" and "gravity" don't even make sense.
    Light is the only type that no pokemon, as of now has yet that is new and "smart".

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    I've always thought they should scrap the fossil pokemon's Rock type and make in Ancient type. Originating from a fossil shouldn't denote a Rock type, that's incorrect. I doubt very much when these pokemon thrived that they were all Rock type, and making them Rock type just because it comes from a fossil is stupid.

Edit: Gravity and Sound types make as much sense as Psychic or Dark, really. It could work, you guys aren't giving it enough thought.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • You should do some more research on those elements and forces before you start listing off counterparts to them; those you listed aren't really valid.

Air = Flying - Valid. The Flying type covers everything from wind-based anomalies to attacks that would be situated with birds. (Peck, Drill Peck, etc.) Making an Air type would just be like making another type that's the same as the Flying type.

Gravity = Flying - I don't really agree on the match-up, BUT.. I don't agree that it should be a type, either. We've got Ground types, and there is even a move that is called Gravity (which is used by a Clefable on Victory Road) so making it a type would be quite useless.. and there isn't really much point to the type.

Magnetism = Electric/Steel - Very valid. Even Magnemite's line of evolution stands around magnets, "hence the name". On top of that, its both a Steel AND Electric type.. further proving the uselessness of a Magnetism type. It wouldn't fit in the games. At all.

Crystal = Ice - I don't really agree, BUT.. it would be a useless type. Its only really relative to an Ice type, because Ice is often portrayed as a crystal-like/gemstone-like structure; as was the case for the attacks; Blizzard, Icy Wind and Ice Beam, in Generation III. It might not sit as a direct link to Ice type, but it is just proved more pointless, by how it would fit in the game; it wouldn't.

Sound = doesn't make sense - Valid, once again. The moves fit a lot better in the Normal type, than creating a whole new type for them. On top of that, do I have to revert you to Whismur and the moves; Metal Sound and Grass Whistle? I doubt they would be "Sound" typed, just because they use Sound as their basis for attack. As previously mentioned, it doesn't fit in the game.

Plasma - Fire/Electric - So-so. Fire, not so much, but definitely very close to Electric typing. On top of that, Rotom is the "Plasma Pokemon", and it is part-Electric. Hmm.. that's pretty hinting, if you ask me. Plasma fits far too well with electric types for it to deserve its own type.

Light = fire/Electric - Again; so-so. Both emit light, however, a "Light" type, were it to refer to "Holiness" over actual light, would be the most viable type in the list, and to my knowledge, it is actually used by people, in a number of unique Pokemon games. but I will say its down to interpretation of the name, "Light".

..and stop it with the "These WILL work" comments. People are allowed their interpretation of things, if they so desire. Its like this post; I say it all, but a number of people will probably just ignore it. As is the world, I suppose.. *shrugs*

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Air = Flying - Valid. The Flying type covers everything from wind-based anomalies to attacks that would be situated with birds. (Peck, Drill Peck, etc.) Making an Air type would just be like making another type that's the same as the Flying type.

Gravity = Flying - I don't really agree on the match-up, BUT.. I don't agree that it should be a type, either. We've got Ground types, and there is even a move that is called Gravity (which is used by a Clefable on Victory Road) so making it a type would be quite useless.. and there isn't really much point to the type.

Magnetism = Electric/Steel - Very valid. Even Magnemite's line of evolution stands around magnets, "hence the name". On top of that, its both a Steel AND Electric type.. further proving the uselessness of a Magnetism type. It wouldn't fit in the games. At all.

Crystal = Ice - I don't really agree, BUT.. it would be a useless type. Its only really relative to an Ice type, because Ice is often portrayed as a crystal-like/gemstone-like structure; as was the case for the attacks; Blizzard, Icy Wind and Ice Beam, in Generation III. It might not sit as a direct link to Ice type, but it is just proved more pointless, by how it would fit in the game; it wouldn't.

Sound = doesn't make sense - Valid, once again. The moves fit a lot better in the Normal type, than creating a whole new type for them. On top of that, do I have to revert you to Whismur and the moves; Metal Sound and Grass Whistle? I doubt they would be "Sound" typed, just because they use Sound as their basis for attack. As previously mentioned, it doesn't fit in the game.

Plasma - Fire/Electric - So-so. Fire, not so much, but definitely very close to Electric typing. On top of that, Rotom is the "Plasma Pokemon", and it is part-Electric. Hmm.. that's pretty hinting, if you ask me. Plasma fits far too well with electric types for it to deserve its own type.

Light = fire/Electric - Again; so-so. Both emit light, however, a "Light" type, were it to refer to "Holiness" over actual light, would be the most viable type in the list, and to my knowledge, it is actually used by people, in a number of unique Pokemon games. but I will say its down to interpretation of the name, "Light".

..and stop it with the "These WILL work" comments. People are allowed their interpretation of things, if they so desire. Its like this post; I say it all, but a number of people will probably just ignore it. As is the world, I suppose.. *shrugs*

I agree that you can have an opinion, but I'd like opponents to elaborate on why they think these types don't make sense.

Flying and Air... they are similar, depends on your perspective. Air is an element, where as flying is something based on a lifeform who has adapted to become airborne.

Magnetic type does not equate to Electric and Steel. I think the misconception is due to the association with the everyday magnet. That is the first thing many people think of. Magnetism is not confined to a child's toy though, it is a very ambiguous principle, especially in reference to the Earth's poles. The same could be said for gravity; it too is a very unique and prominent principle of our reality.

I didn't think Steel would make a very good type either, when it was announced; it seemed really obscure and obsolete. There was already Rock, what need for a similar element? I couldn't imagine Magnemite's type being changed either. Steel turned out to be a welcome addition though.

I'm not wholey supporting this guy's ideas for types. I'm just saying you all shouldn't be so pessimistic in terms of new types. You think Psychic is a valid type? If it didn't originally exist and they had announced 'Psychic' as a type to appear in the 4th generation, I probably would have thought "that doesn't make sense".

Saberdragon

Shoggoth on the Roof
    Years
  • Reasoning

Here's why I picked each type:

Light - One of the most powerful forces in the world. A Light-type would be super-effective agianst Dark and Ghost-types, extremely fast, and would be the only kind of Pokemon able to take down the "invincible" Spiritombs and Sableyes created by Action Replay users.

Sound - If a Pokemon could control sound, then it could destroy anything by hitting the right frequency (like how loud music can break glass)

Plasma - Effective underwater battling that a Fire-type can't achieve

Crystal - One of the characteristics of the new Pokemon in my fan fic is their connection to crystals

Magnetism - Pokemon with Magnetism-based powers would be very strong defenders. By drawing out every trace of metal in the surrounding area, the Pokemon could create a barrier that is almost impossible to get through for non-Fire and non-Plasma Pokemon

Gravity - A Pokemon with control over Gravity could defeat almost anything by increasing gravity and slamming them into the ground, into rocks, etc.

Air - Non-flying Pokemon would be able to use wind-based attacks such as creating hurricanes and tornadoes.

Other - Kind of obvious

vano-m

2nd year University student
    Years
  • i think all of these types are partly exist in some othet types. i mean light-electricity... zubat, golbat, some other supersonic pokemon, aren`t they a sound type? air means... flying? maglemite, magneton arent they represents gravity- magnetic type.

if creating some new type. there is more one type of energy in TCG... very complicated. and for example new type... pokemon, who can control magnetic fields, isnt in very specifical? many diffrent pokemon of this type will be difficult to create in afftar`s imagination.

And... Plasma... U mean strongly ionizeg gas? How can u imagine plasma-pokemon? Something, wich separate particals into positive ions+elecrtons and negtive ions+ positive charged... u know... And then attacking with this mix?

Last edited:

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
  • I think "Cosmic" would be a good one, it could cover angelic-sorts and space/alien-sorts.

It would be perfect for Deoxys, Cresselia, Lunatone and Solrock, instead of having to be stuck with the "Psychic" type.

Hell, even Clefairy & Clefable would fit into it.

Last edited:

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • The reason why Light seems the least silly out of the lot is only because Dark is one of the only types who do not have a direct counter part in the sense of how Fire & Water are naturally opposites.

Light & Dark is much the same I would Imagine Light Pokemon would be those such as clefairy or possibly even Mew.

I'm not sure who said it, but someone Said Light = Electric, well that's possible...however I'm pretty certain they referred to the type of Light as in a "Holy" type of light to counter Dark...which to be honest has about as much to do with Electricity as a stick on the ground.

Back