• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Type

What should be a new Pokemon type?

• Light

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Sound

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Plasma

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Crystal

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Magnetism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Flying ≈ air.
    Sound seems interesting, and they should've added Light by now anyway, so I'd like to see both of those.

Uh, Plasma: in a game, I can't imagine that working as anything other than ammunition for sci-fi weapons.

Anty

Just thought of going French..
    Years
  • We have enough types. But if they are adding maybe 1 or 2, then it should be "Light". The others like "Gravity" and "Sound" doesn't make sense.

Cid

Years
  • Plasma sounds nice, though Electric is already there. So I'd prefer Light as a new type, since it sounds interesting.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • The examples given in this thread make me laugh. First of all, Light cannot be a type to just merely mimic the Dark type. We already have Fire and Electric to create an image of Light (more of the Electric type though). Unless you are aiming for the impression of "holiness" with the word light, but you'd need a better word for it. Sound is probably the better ones you can think of, but it is quite silly though. Anything can make sound, why do we need a specific type for it? They really fall under the Normal category. Plasma falls under electric, undoubtedly. Crystal is taking the image of a gem or some crystalline figure that is hard and transparent. Ice is really another name for crystal. Also, there is a version called Crystal for the Pokemon Games, so getting a type named after a version would be quite silly. Magnetism is the force which bonds two objects together. Even so, we already have Magnemite and Magneton, which already got their types changed once. Getting their types changed again will be seeming quite redundant. Besides, a child merely thinks about Magnetism as Electric and Steel. Even if you approach the word Magnetism scientifically, the concept is much to narrow to be put into Pokemon. Gravity is quite silly. We already have a move called Gravity, so creating a new type based on Gravity would be quite silly. Gravity is much too narrow, too. Air is simply flying. Flying Pokemon create tornadoes by flapping their wings. Simple as that.

The best we can probably get with another new type is the Light type, although a better name is needed to withold the "Holy" idea. Another idea has come to mind about the energy flow, or chi. Some type that has to do with balance in the energy and Fung Shuei would be nice. A "Cosmic" form would be very nice to some Pokemon, like Palkia, Cresselia, Lunatone, Solrock, the Clefable line, and others.

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
  • The examples given in this thread make me laugh. First of all, Light cannot be a type to just merely mimic the Dark type. We already have Fire and Electric to create an image of Light (more of the Electric type though). Unless you are aiming for the impression of "holiness" with the word light, but you'd need a better word for it. Sound is probably the better ones you can think of, but it is quite silly though. Anything can make sound, why do we need a specific type for it? They really fall under the Normal category. Plasma falls under electric, undoubtedly. Crystal is taking the image of a gem or some crystalline figure that is hard and transparent. Ice is really another name for crystal. Also, there is a version called Crystal for the Pokemon Games, so getting a type named after a version would be quite silly. Magnetism is the force which bonds two objects together. Even so, we already have Magnemite and Magneton, which already got their types changed once. Getting their types changed again will be seeming quite redundant. Besides, a child merely thinks about Magnetism as Electric and Steel. Even if you approach the word Magnetism scientifically, the concept is much to narrow to be put into Pokemon. Gravity is quite silly. We already have a move called Gravity, so creating a new type based on Gravity would be quite silly. Gravity is much too narrow, too. Air is simply flying. Flying Pokemon create tornadoes by flapping their wings. Simple as that.

The best we can probably get with another new type is the Light type, although a better name is needed to withold the "Holy" idea. Another idea has come to mind about the energy flow, or chi. Some type that has to do with balance in the energy and Fung Shuei would be nice. A "Cosmic" form would be very nice to some Pokemon, like Palkia, Cresselia, Lunatone, Solrock, the Clefable line, and others.

Or if Spinda were to evolve into something with Balance, BAM, we've got "Cosmic" type to save it from the already over-flowing Psychic brand. And, if they can balance it out well enough, Cosmic could fit the missing link in a new starter trio (Dark - Fighting - Cosmic).

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2009
    Light type sounds good especially because of all the other options that is the only one that doesnt seem similar to a specific pokemon and/or move.

o.necromancer.o

(Insert Something Random)
    Years
    • Age 31
    • ?
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    These don't really make sense although it would be cool to have these listed as sub-types to give the player some more options or add some difficulty to the game.

FlamingAipom

Will Help You For Free
    Years
  • I see where he goes with a lot of these. Exception of Gravity. It sounds like Psychic Pokemon. Anyway light would be very awesome.

Possible Movesets:
    Flash-could be transfer to being a light type move.
    Rays and Beams-such as soloarbeam, and others like it without real element behind them.
    Sunny Day-Really don't need to explain.

You can see where I'm going.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Other as in neither. We have enough Pokemon types already. If you really think about it, they would of introduced a new type of Pokemon in Generation 4 so I think Nintendo is finish with the Pokemon types

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Light can be done by Psychic. They seem very similar.

grassguy

All hail Grovyle!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    All those types are covered by pokemon and it's much too late to bring new types in to the games.
    1. Sound - Loudred is an example of a sound-based pokemon and the move uproar is a sound-based move, making multiple sound types would be very similar.
    2. Plasma - Rotom is already made of plasma and it fits into the electric or maybe fire category.
    3. Magnetism - That's just a silly type. Magnemite and evos are based around magnetism and making more like magnemite would be very similar and pointless.
    4. Crystal - Very similar to rock and ice and is also pointless.
    5. Air - very simply Flying-Type, Drifblim is part-flying and doesn't need to be "air" type. Also most Flying-Type attacks involve the use of strong wind.
    6. Gravity - This is the most pathetic excuse for a type - what moves could come out of gravity? There's already a move called Gravity anyway.
    7. Light - This is probably the least silly type, but still silly. Electric types and I suppose fire are already like light types.

I don't think any more types are necessary. Steel should of been called Metal but Steel sounds cooler.
    sound plasma magnetism crystal air gravity light

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Maybe you could build upon the ??? type. It basically exists since the move Curse (NOT as in Curselax) has a ??? type. It'd be interesting, but it depends on if it matches you style.

Saberdragon

Shoggoth on the Roof
    Years
  • My decision

I've decided to go with the majority and make my new fan fic type a Light-type. I think that ,as many have mentioned, Light is the only element not already represented. True' Fire gives off Light. But a Light-type wouldn't have the same limitations as a Fire-type. A Light-type Pokemon would be able to hold its own against a Water-type. And the weather can't suppress a Light-type's power. (If anyone is going to argue that Rain Dance would block the sun, thereby suppressing a Light-type's power, then think about this: why can you still see fairly well even if the weather is rainy and the sky is overcast? Light is always there.) I've also come up with the Strengths/Weaknesses of the Light-type Pokemon:

Strengths: Dark, Ghost, Ground
    Weaknesses: Dark, Dragon

Just because I've come to this conclusion, doesn't mean I want people to stop voting. I'm interested in what people think. And if anyone wants to see the fanfic or the DZ Pokedex, there are links in my signature.

Back