• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2010
    A light type would be cool, they just don't to overpower or underpower it. Like for me I think of Psychic and Light light types to be the same but, if you make your own lighht type class that would be great too. it adds more individuality and it gives Black and white more to look forward to. And if anyone cares it will make up for the stupid water type starter...

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Therefore every other idea people come up with about Reshiram being light is complete speculation meaning it's unproven/unconfirmed/nonexistent.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Therefore every other idea people come up with about Reshiram being light is complete speculation meaning it's unproven/unconfirmed/nonexistent.

Okay, but they are both obviously not ONLY Dragon types, and Light type or not people are going to speculate. You made it seem as if it was just a Dragon type.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Main issue I have with Light type is the "why" factor.

Fans want it to be a counterpart to Dark Type.

Problem is, Dark was introduced to be a counter to Psychic types. This created a triangle Dark beats Psychic. Psychic beats Fighting. Fighting beats Dark.

Yes all the types save Dragon are balanced beyond the need to try to add more and upset the balance. Dragon being only weak to Itself and Ice, but is also the only type known to having an issue with nearly all of its non-legend Pokemon that are fully evolved. Nearly every Dragon Type Pokemon line's final stage has a x4 weakness to Ice. The exception to this is Kingdra, whose stats are sub par.

Even the lack of Dragons helps to balance out their power. You try to add in more balancing factors like a new Type to beat Dragon, then Dragons not only have an upset balance, but you lessen their rarity (Not that that is ever an issue thanks to Game Sharks and GTS)

The other major issue I find with adding in the Light Type is the pseudo-Religiousness of it. Light. You automatically associate it with the goodness just as Dark is associated with evilness. When you put both together in a game setting religion follows. This would put a lot of controversy into the game and with the titles as they are, a lot of hell will already be raised in the US upon their full release.

As for the Poison and Bug issue. Use of Poison attacks is fairly common in some tournaments. Poison types with a Gastro Acid appear as ability nullifiers. Bugs kill both Dark and Psychic types, while the Bug Pokemon out side of Scyther/Scizor, Heracross, and Pineco/Forretress lines aren't used as much, Bugs certainly not underpowered. People don't use them because they see stats and go with that. I find the diversity of a lot of Bug Pokemon better than using pure power houses. Especially if you play a status game rather than sweep.

I don't battle much so a lot of what I say may not make a lot of sense to those of you that do, but coming from experience, even online battles are huge personal calls. I've seen three people all have different opinions on Pokemon for battles and pull up info that supports all their claims, and yet all three refuse to acknowledge the other two as right as well.

Its a personal Preference thing mixed with mechanics knowledge.

Off main topic. With some of the hinted new moves, I don't think PvP would be that horrible even for Bug Pokemon anymore. A lot of new moves are also to be released which may balance out Poison and Bug types more to your liking way better than adding another type in. Possible change or addition to abilities as well.

That's my two cents and I only really made an account just to give it.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Okay, but they are both obviously not ONLY Dragon types, and Light type or not people are going to speculate. You made it seem as if it was just a Dragon type.

Yeah that's somewhat what I was going for in my post. People can speculate all they want but in the end we still don't have any reason as to why they would add a new light type. There's nothing that warrants it...

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    Yeah that's somewhat what I was going for in my post. People can speculate all they want but in the end we still don't have any reason as to why they would add a new light type. There's nothing that warrants it...
    ...Except that Nintendo will probably include Light Types in B/W, and probably will make Reshiram Light and Zekrom Dark. The whole Electric Zekrom thing was started by someone who made a random guess thet Zekrom was Electric because it sounds like a computer-sort-of-ish word!
    And Reshiram's name even means "turning light" in Japanese, so...
    Any doubters now?

Years
    There was a post in a blog by someone in the anime voice department that said one of them i don't remember which, will be Dragon/Electric, after some time it was deleted I don't see the need for a light type, Gengar, Umbreons, Murkrow... are dark, and can be used for the good.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I just wanna state that I do want the light type now :p
    All this speculation is great and kinda makes the pokemon "light" burn brighter

I am aware of the metagame and I don't see why people get so freaking reluctant to the idea. They deem it as havoc but that's dumb. If GameFreak is creating a new type, it's gonna be what they want it to be, so it can bring even more balance to a balanced situation, right?
    It could be as simple as mimicking the dragon type, effective against one, not effective against one. Simple, functional and fresh.
    For personal preference, I'd like it to be effective against dark and steel, and weak to dark and poison. We don't have two types that are effective against eachother, so that's fresh. Steel needs one more weakness because resisting 11 is unbalanced. Poison needs something like this to make itself useful. Just my two cents.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Yay! I'm glad so many people like my thread. It seems we're having a good conversation here. I still think they are going to introduce a light type and Reshiram gives a good amount of proof in my opinion. Please keep debating, this is starting to get good!

*sits back and munches on popcorn*

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ...Except that Nintendo will probably include Light Types in B/W, and probably will make Reshiram Light and Zekrom Dark. The whole Electric Zekrom thing was started by someone who made a random guess thet Zekrom was Electric because it sounds like a computer-sort-of-ish word!
    And Reshiram's name even means "turning light" in Japanese, so...
    Any doubters now?

Your word choice makes my argument much easier to defend. Probably means that you are speculating hence you are hoping it is a light type and trying to push on us some of your assumptions.

So what if his name means "turning light", that's obviously because of the games' names. Ima laugh my ass off if I see that reshiram is actually another dragon/psychic.

By the way, I said there's no need for a light type. Did you not catch that part? You know we're right on that department. A light type is not necessary.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    By the way, I said there's no need for a light type. Did you not catch that part? You know we're right on that department. A light type is not necessary.

there is no need.
    then again there is no need for spinda is there?
    but a light type would be so badass.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    there is no need.
    then again there is no need for spinda is there?
    but a light type would be so badass.

Whoa, whoa. You're relating two things that have nothing in common...

Adding new pokemon is nothing like adding new types... I mean if you don't know that then damn, I feel bad for ya.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    i wasn't relating them and i'm sorry for misleading you, but i'm just saying pokemon has a lot of unnecessary things.
    (video games them selves are unnecessary but that's a whole nother discussion)
    why not give us a new type to play with?
    part of pokemon is building your team so that it's the hardest to beat.
    another type would be more of a challenge for me at least.

and if another type comes out i hope it's a light type so then for once sableye and spiritomb actualy have a weakness for once.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I see your point (and respect it) but I still don't see a real valid reason that would warrant Gamefreak to throw in a new type. The games are very stable with not one type truly sticking out and being too powerful. They are given checks (most dragons have a 4x weakness to ice, spiritomb and sableye have sub-par stats, etc)

And as some say, light vs dark, well psychic already fits that position in my honest opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    in a way but psychic doesn't effect dark but dark is super effective against psychic.

Miracle Eye fixes that issue. Plus Fighting Beats Dark which beats Psychic which Beats Fighting. Its a good triangle. They are balanced enough as if this way and eliminated the purpose for a light type to be made JUST to counter Dark types. Bug and Fighting beat Dark. There isn't any need for a type to be made just to beat it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2010
    Come ON. A light type is in B/W. I guarantee it.
    Based on Reshiram's appearance, though, I agree it'll most likely be "good" to balance the Dark type. (Finally! Good vs. Evil conflict!)
    And like I said before, (in my last post here) the Light type will be included with like an angel pokemon. Fact.
    Thre are going to be light types in Gen. V, point-blank.
    Of course, I never said there will be about 500 of them. And, once again, they balance out the Dark type, so they'll be a new type in B/W.
    And if I'm wrong, you can eat my sig.

Oh believe me I will most definitely eat your sig.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back