• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Yo, I'm simply confused as to why some of you guys are against/can't understand a pure flying type pokemon. Did you forget that the flying type is simply another type with set weaknesses and strengths. The fact that it gets paired up often with the normal type has no bearing on how it reacts separately. A ghost attack is neutral against a flying type....
    I've always felt like the Normal/Flying-typing was really, really lame and that honestly? I've always felt that most of the Normal/Flying-types could pass as a pure Flying-type as well. Idk why people are against a pure Flying-type, either.

But at some point, I just decided to stop arguing about it. *Shrugs.* A part of me feels the only reason people think a pure Flying-type won't work is because they're so used to it being paired with other types. >_>;
    On topic:
    Instead of HOW it would exsist.. Can someone explain, why it SHOULD exsist? Thank you.
    I personally would like a new type simply because I feel it would add something new to the games.... It would be exciting to me. That's pretty much the only reason I want a new type, but others think it would balance out a few types they deem to be too powerful (like the Dragon-type?). Still others think there should be a Light-type because of Gen. V's yin& yang theme.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i think steel should be super effective to dragons. swords are made from steel and used to kill them so why not

Years
    i think steel should be super effective to dragons. swords are made from steel and used to kill them so why not

That is one way to defeat a dragon, you could do it all sorts of other ways like stone them to death, beat them in close combat, or outsmart them with your mindgames. Dragons take neutral damage from all those attacks.

But the most effective way is to battle with ice. Dragons hate the cold. They also are easier to beat if you have another dragon.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    Yo, I'm simply confused as to why some of you guys are against/can't understand a pure flying type pokemon. Did you forget that the flying type is simply another type with set weaknesses and strengths. The fact that it gets paired up often with the normal type has no bearing on how it reacts separately. A ghost attack is neutral against a flying type....
    Yeah, Xatu is Psychic/Flying, so ghost is actually supereffective against it.
    I stink at creating new types, but Nintendo needs to create more types to strengthen up Poison and maybe Normal a little bit, because Poison is one of the worst types in terms of type effectiveness, and Normal isn't good against anything. That's why I suggested Poison be strong to Light type (when I supported it that is) and the Magnet type. Why created the Magnet type... Well anyway any new types should be weak to poison and maybe normal, thats what I think.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    That is one way to defeat a dragon, you could do it all sorts of other ways like stone them to death, beat them in close combat, or outsmart them with your mindgames. Dragons take neutral damage from all those attacks.

But the most effective way is to battle with ice. Dragons hate the cold. They also are easier to beat if you have another dragon.

yea but i'm basing my "logic" off mythology...you mostly see warriors slaying em with swords. but when it comes to making a new weakness for it, stoning them to death is too random.

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    =A very small amount of Pokemon would need to be changed (Lanturn and Ampharos specifically).

The light type would be nice, but I don't think Lanturn and Ampharos should be changed. It makes sense in a way, but they are perfectly fine the way they are. Lanturn and Ampharos are already really great Pokemon. Besides, when the Dark/Steel types were added after generation one, they did not CHANGE any old types, they simply ADDED the steel type to Magnemite/Magneton. And I don't think the light type should be added to Ampharos, since it light comes from the electricity within it's body.

...I'm not even sure if the light type would be practical to make. There are already moves like Doom Desire, Flash Cannon, and Mirror Shot that use light as an attack.

Golden Heart

Rainbow Ho-Oh
    Years
    It is pretty dumb, though. I mean, if they do add the type but not the type to them. D: They are the Light Pokemon. o-o;

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    It is pretty dumb, though. I mean, if they do add the type but not the type to them. D: They are the Light Pokemon. o-o;
    And therein lies one of the already-mentioned problems - adding in a new type means that 'logically' other previous Pokemon should have a type change (like with steel and Magenmite). That was 'ok' in 2nd gen because 2 pokemon were affected and that was it - now though? Light types would share a lot in common with electric types and moves like Flash Cannon - so either you don't change them which begs the questions what is the point (and 5 gens in also prompts 'why a change now when barely any Pokemon would represent the type?') or you do change it which means suddenly doing a backflip and saying 'hey guys, these Pokemon we've used in our official games, anime, etc which are electric types/whatnot? They're LIGHT TYPES!' which is contridicting all that canon in a pretty big way - not something they'd want to do.

But I've said that before - and regardless of the lack of light type with the legendary pokes, guess the Light type speculation will never die. -_-

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    i like the types as they are. i believe they have covered everything they need to and adding more types would complicate the games. dark was necessary because psychic was over powered but adding a new type now would just take focus away from aspects of the game we already have and enjoy

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yeah I know what you mean dithyrambos =/

Yeah, Xatu is Psychic/Flying, so ghost is actually supereffective against it.
    I stink at creating new types, but Nintendo needs to create more types to strengthen up Poison and maybe Normal a little bit, because Poison is one of the worst types in terms of type effectiveness, and Normal isn't good against anything. That's why I suggested Poison be strong to Light type (when I supported it that is) and the Magnet type. Why created the Magnet type... Well anyway any new types should be weak to poison and maybe normal, thats what I think.

Dude....did you even understand what I was saying? The FLYING type gets hit for neutral damage by ghost. Xatu is part psychic so obviously ghost is super-effective but I honestly don't get your point. What are you even arguing man...?

As for the normal type....that type should remain as is. It's not a bad type by any means. The fact that it has no super-effective moves against anybody makes sense.

Years
    I'm in the middle with this situation.
    Having another type would be pretty cool, but I do think it's a bit too similar to Electric. Also they would end up changing more Pokemon again (and I would get confused)
    I feel like it would be a bit more complicated.
    I just think they need to put the other weaker types in mind like normal and poison (which are pretty useless) and just go off of that.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    The evolution of this thread has been absolutely amazing, and entertaining. Unfortunately, there aren't any objective reasons backing the addition of a new type, though there are plenty for why a new type shouldn't be added; and so the conversation, more or less, feels like it continues to go in circles. We can go on-and-on about how over-powered this or that type is and how under-powered various other type are, but until GameFreak does something definitive (like adding a new type), none of it really holds any water. :/

Light types would share a lot in common with electric types and moves like Flash Cannon - so either you don't change them which begs the questions what is the point (and 5 gens in also prompts 'why a change now when barely any Pokemon would represent the type?')

I don't see how that proposes much of a problem, seeing as there are only 20 Dragon-types, and they've been around since the very beginning. And there have been various people arguing about a Light-type representing "goodness" rather than physical light, so they wouldn't have anything to do with electricity.

My brain isn't working at full power right now, ごめん for any incoherency.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2010
    well if it was Super effective to Darkness and did normal damage to Ghost it would atleast be useful to counter no weknesses like Spiritomb and Sableye, also for the guy who claimed Dargon types are only weak to ice, try attacking dragons with dragons of your own you'd be suprised

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Spiritomb and Sableye actually do have weaknesses if you use something like Odor Sleuth or Foresight. This is why I carry a Pokemon who knows the move, then I can just knock them out with a fighting-type move.

I'm all for the light-type, because as some people have pointed, a few types are too strong, namely dragon. Poison-type is also considered to be weak. Poison however, isn't usually a strong upfront type and is better for a long battle. This is why we need a poison type with high defenses and a lower attack with a decent speed. This would result in a quick, effective battle strategy where the actual status of 'Poisoned' does the damage instead of in-battle moves.

The magnet-type though....is just a little bit "whack." So is the meterorite, and other weird types......there are types that already represent these, thanks. ;)

The normal-type is just fine, it's not needing a change, it's not going to change - it's normal for a reason it's not super effective against anything and it has 1 weakness...that's not terribly bad, considering its immunity to ghost-type.

Years
    I don't see how that proposes much of a problem, seeing as there are only 20 Dragon-types, and they've been around since the very beginning. And there have been various people arguing about a Light-type representing "goodness" rather than physical light, so they wouldn't have anything to do with electricity.

My brain isn't working at full power right now, ごめん for any incoherency.

Thank you. I wasn't looking forward to typing that again. I really don't support Light type as a physical light type. I think that sounds pretty dumb and pointless. I also do NOT think that any types should be changed. Adding a type is okay, like making the Chansey family half light-type, but changing Lanturn is a bad idea. Ampharos... well, I could see adding another type to it, but as I don't support physical light-based light, I see no point.

そして、大丈夫です。私もつかれたです。

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ^ My point on that post was on the particular 'light is similar to electricity' point itself and ignoring the other 'possibilities' a type-type had (seeing what was discussed at the time were the electric Pokemon to begin with). Although I suppose it could be applied to Pokemon which'd be defined as 'good' which already exist (Blissey for instance is a 'good' Pokemon going by that loose definition). (But then why is it not called the 'good type' or something less potentially confusing seeing electricity is related to...well, light?)

But as I said again it's very unlikely a light type will appear due to its absense as a typing on the legendarys revealed, and tbh it was never likely just like with every gen imho since gen 2. =p

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    Guys, the Light type is the only type that has an argument to back it up. All the others, well, were easy to rule out because they have no good reasons to support their existence. Therefore, if Nintendo includes a new type, it would most likely be Light. And if they did include Light types in Black and White, it would be to balance other types. Apart from Poison being terribly understrong, there arent any types that need balancing out, and Light would mess up the type effective chart we've come to know and love. Besides, one of the big reasons some people supported a Light type was because of Reshiram, but it's not a Light type. The Light type is also already represented in the Electric, Psychic, and Fighting types, so there's no need to create a new Light type. A Holy type would be the most likely way the Light type would come out, and I can almost see that happening, but it would be like the new Legendary type, and otherwise, I can see about 2 Pokemon being that type. So because of all these reasons, it makes no sense whatsoever to say that Light types will be created for Generation 5. The light type may have an argument, but it just isnt good enough to support a Light type.
    Oh and .EJ, I was just showing that if Ghost was bad against Flying, it couldnt be good against Xatu.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2010
    I think there should be a human-type so people can participate in this cockfight and so we can mate with Jynx.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back