• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yo, not like I wanna be a grammar nazi or anything, but if you want me to capitalize your name at least make the effort to spell correctly...just sayin' since you pointed out that you like professionalism...

Also, let me go ahead and point out what I meant exactly by that post. Light types are completely unnecessary. You also said it makes sense to add a new type; no it doesn't. If they were to add new types they'd be messing with a classic formula set up as far back as Generation II. The reason I mentioned your age was to make sure you completely understand what I mean.

The only reason dark and steel types were implemented into the series were to balance out a broken system.

Hence, therefore, as a result of, ergo, consequently, <insert another> light types or any other types for that matter won't be added because there is nothing to fix or adjust. Things are fine the way they are right now.

kthxbai.

Bunny69

Serious Buisness
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2010
    Steel type has high Special Defense
    o_0
    o_0
    *FACEPALM*
    (lol try saying that about a Forretress)

I see where your getting at ChrisTom, and I see your reasoning. Black and White don't neccissarily reffering to Light and Dark; futhermore, the Light type would have the least amount of pokemon, even if they did change some of the previous pokemon types. In Gen.5 they are going to make a maximum of 135 pokemon(compared to other gens) and not every pokemon there will be Light type. Plus, I think we would've head something by now about a new type(s); because that's pretty big news, but so far; nothing. In Generation 2, it was okay to start 2 new types, there were less pokemon, and starting a new type is much more managable. When Steel types were introduced, there were only 6 pokemon of that type, or 6/252 ; Hypothetically; let's say the Steel type was introduced in gen. 5. That's 6/500+ . Yeah. That's MORE than triple the amount of pokemon in Gen. 2. Do you see where I'm going here?

X75flames

Free starters, PM me
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2014
    Light, super effective against: Dark, Ghost.
    Is uneffective against: Fire, Grass, Normal
    Uneffective by: Ghost, Fire, Psychic.
    Super effective by: Dark.

Seems the most logical to me. Poison could be thrown anywhere in to give it a bit bigger of a role.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    One thing I only saw mentioned only once here, in an aside, is the fact that there are currently two pokemon, Sableye and Spiritomb, with no weaknesses at all. I think that the fact that there is such a combination alone warrants the introduction of a new type: based on types alone, the weakness chart is still unbalanced. It would make the most sense for Light to be effective against Dark, with Dark also being effective against Light to reinforce the yin-yang symbolism. Also, Poison really does deserve another type weak to it, and adding a new type would make more sense than changing an existing one.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    While that may be true, why is it that neither of those are OU pokemon?

Ah yes....mediocre stats...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    One thing I only saw mentioned only once here, in an aside, is the fact that there are currently two pokemon, Sableye and Spiritomb, with no weaknesses at all. I think that the fact that there is such a combination alone warrants the introduction of a new type: based on types alone, the weakness chart is still unbalanced. It would make the most sense for Light to be effective against Dark, with Dark also being effective against Light to reinforce the yin-yang symbolism. Also, Poison really does deserve another type weak to it, and adding a new type would make more sense than changing an existing one.
    As said, those two Pokemon are not much or a problem at all, for their typing is balanced (although tbh on the whole they are not strong at all, particularly Sableye =P) due to their stats and maybe movepool to a degree as well, but more so the stats. That's the more telling thing about Pokemon individually - you can have the best typing but if you're barely stronger than Sunkern it's not going to help you much.

Never mind that Dark being weak to Light would likely cause it to be nerfed way too much - it's not easy to tell the effect a new type might have on the whole game, really.

Hello everybody. Sorry for not being on this thread for a bit. I swear, Pokemon Black and White Threads are spreading faster than a Bellsprout using Growth.
    You expected any differently? =P
    I see several fans of the wonderous world of Pokemon intrigued about the concept of Light Type Pokemon. Most think that when I said what I did I implyed that I think that there MUST be a Light Type. I don't think that whatsoever. About 10 posters said the same thing: "I don't think a light type is neccesary". I agree. It ISN'T neccesarry, but it would be nice. I think it would be a great way to get rid of the rediculous power Dragon Types have (Ice being their only weakness is rather irritating) and to give Poison and Bug Types the power they deserve. It would obviously be effective on Dark Types.
    Dragon are also weak to themselves, you know. =P And since were dark types overpowered? And as my previous post stated, there is many a reason why I don't think it's nice or necessary, simply due to the negative impacts it would likely/will carry.

Furthermore the 'fans think it intriguing' part doesn't make it necessarily good... when you look at a huge range of fan ideas, many of them are actually not that good in practise. I just feel that a new type lies near that point. =P
    Alot of you seem to not like the Steel type and hope that Light will destory it. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with Steel whatsoever. The type does have it's weaknesses and due to the minimal amount of Steel types I think it's ok. As Fighting Types have high Attack, and Electric Types have high Speed; Steel type has high Special Defense which is fine. Most Types work like that.
    As stated - Steel types have high sp defense wut? Can't say I'm convinced by your claim that you've played all of those games and know everything about Pokemon tbh, just saying. =/ Some mistake here and there and all...

Now most of you seem concerned that the Light Type would be complicated/overpowering. This is not neccesarily true. The aforemention Poison and Bug Types as well as the Grass and Rock types would be Super-Effective, while Dark, Ghost and Water would be crippled. A very small amount of Pokemon would need to be changed (Lanturn and Ampharos specifically).
    I'm not convinced that would be the problem - my qualm is that it would, whether it is overpowered/underpowered itself or not, would cause other types to be imbalanced (as well as other stuff in my previous post). And tbh... that system there sounds complicated to me simply because it doesn't make much sense to me. =/ Why are those types strong against a light type? Rock strong against Light types...why? Or Water types? =//

The way you're advertising isn't convincing me, have to admit.

And onto another point - changing previous pokemon's types, which;d be just odd and throw people into a loop. Lanturn is no longer Water/Electric but... Water/Light? But it's been established for over 10 years that it's Water Electric! Does this mean every other electric type (seeing electricity gives off light) becomes a Light type as well? As said, it was ok to change a few into Steel types (namely Magnemite) in 2nd gen because the games were relatively new, but now it's more a problem of 'it's too late without screwing up the well-established canon'.

Here is what I think is the most important part of this debate: Will they even do it? I think absolutely yes. Considering the vast amount of themes involving Yin and Yang, and Light and Dark (For God's sake the games are called Black and White) that they will do it. I don't see a reason why not. It would be the perfect moment for GameFreak to add it. Fans have been wanting a new Type and have been speculating a "Light Type" since Generation II and my guess is that Satoshi Tajiri-Sensei will pull through and give the fans what they want.
    Nope, doesn't mean they will by a long shot. Black and White can just refer to good and evil, or ying and yang, and doesn't 'need' a new type to have such themes. Believe me, people were saying that they would for 4th gen as well, and it didn't happen - vague title names don't make it far more likely now either.

Years
    Some of you guys are crazy. Pokemon? Balanced? It never has been, it never will be. Try picking up another game and you'll see what balance is.

In order to balance out Pokemon, creatures would have to be removed, and others would need serious tweaking. And I'm not even started on the typing system yet. That would need a complete overhaul.

Don't say things like "the game is perfectly balanced" because it's not.

That's all I'm gonna say on that subject, don't try to get a tl;dr out of me.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Game Freak said some time back that they ARE NOT considering new types in any new games as it would mess up the types that already exist and make the game more confusing type wise.

Ketchumall

Soul Trainer
    Years
    A light type makes plenty of sense and it's a great idea, they don't have to go back and fix old Pokemon, just give them separate evolution chains that can be activated via certain actions, like Eevee. Just take the Magnemite and give it the ability to evolve into something with a light type instead of electric. (to use somebodies example earlier). Though there could be some balancing issues (ChrisTom seems to have a pretty good hypothetical on this) I think it could work well. If the Pokemon in the game evolve why is it the game cant? lat (laugh at that).

Note to some of you just being plain obsessive with the word "need" Chris never said that they NEED a new type, in fact he states in his update that your right, they don't NEED a new type, but being good vs evil, Yin vs Yang, what two elements do those correspond to? Dark and LIGHT, for all we know the light type could include only one Pokemon, a legendary.

bobandbill said:
    Dragon are also weak to themselves, you know.

who says you can not do that with light. . . or even better make dark effective against light AND vice versa, xD sorry just had to throw that in there.

but I did some research, so far the light type entering in does not seem like it is gonna happen.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    @ketchumail: that sounds absurd man. I'm not gonna argue how unnecessary that is since I already did so. I interpret it more as what bobandbill said, good and evil...

Some of you guys are crazy. Pokemon? Balanced? It never has been, it never will be. Try picking up another game and you'll see what balance is.

In order to balance out Pokemon, creatures would have to be removed, and others would need serious tweaking. And I'm not even started on the typing system yet. That would need a complete overhaul.

In my case when I mentioned balance I was referring to stability. Just clarifying =]

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

Obviously it's not perfectly balenced, and it's rare to ver see a system that is (and potentially such ones would run the risk of being somewhat boring). But certainly it's more or less stable and certainly far more than in 1st gen.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    The only thing I can't comprehend is the idea that it would make sense for new additions. We've already established that they are unnecessary and that it would ruin the stability of the canon already set up in Generation II.

We also explained WHY they would add a new type by using the Psychic type of Gen 1 as an example. It's only necessary and sensible to add one to make it fairer. I understand complete balance is impossible to achieve but we can get relatively close (scratch that...we are close.)

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    I'd love to see a light type, it'd be a great chance to have light and dark type legendaries as the "mascot" legends for black and white.

Years
    In my case when I mentioned balance I was referring to stability. Just clarifying =]
    Good thing I didn't mention any names. XD

However, I don't see a problem with trying out a new type. If GameFreak can bring in a new type, they can remove it if it doesn't work.

Obviously it's not perfectly balenced, and it's rare to ver see a system that is (and potentially such ones would run the risk of being somewhat boring). But certainly it's more or less stable and certainly far more than in 1st gen.
    Of course, of course. 1st gen had terrible balance, and with each generation it's been getting better.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    I agree but Gardevoir, chimecho, and jirachi are all Gen III.

: P

Ah, sorry maybe I expressed myself wrong(I'm not English).
    I was tryng to say that only genI, when Dark-type didn't exist, Psichic pokemon were "evil" (mewtwo isnt capable of have feelings except rage, Hypno *cough*rape child*chough*) but he became more "gentle" in the others.
    Also Light type is also covered by fight and fire-type.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ^Its all good bro. I didn't know rock is neutral against rock. Lol

@Sage harpuia: Oh don't worry about it; I was just correcting what you said. You mentioned them as part of Gen II. =]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back