• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • Just so you know, females are Yin, and males are Yang in the chinese Taoism.
    I'm a Taoist myself, though this is not the point.

People arguing about the Yin-Yang elements when they know nuts are just what pissing me off, &&. I don't see why they NEED to make a Light type, it's so annoying and unneeded.
    Who would flame you? You're right.

I don't like people who argue about things they know nothing about either, which is the sole reason I argued that point.

and Bug should definitely stay weak against Rock.

tangvor

Pokemon FTW
    Years
  • Okay honestly this light type I'm actually against
    I'm usually for a lot of things
    The fact is light (to me) would only make sense to be super effective against dark and ghost.
    I don't see how it would make sense for it be super effective against dragon types.
    Also something people seem to be forgetting to mention is the fact that dragon is also super effective against dragon...not just ice.
    Bug has the power it deserves now with actual good attacks like x-scissor as bug is actually super effective against the ever so powerful psychic types.
    I was a huge fan of scizor in SS/HG for that reason.
    I will give you the benefit for poison being underpowered and everybody only using toxic as it's the only move actually worth using it seems.
    I don't see how light would be super effective against poison either but I guess it could be stretched.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Light type sounds ok, but I don't think that there will be a new type. Everything is fine already with the regular types.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • well, i think that if they added Sun, or Ethereal (counter to ghost) it could be cool but if they are adding a new type (which i dont see as likely), it would probably be light

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    well, i think that if they added Sun, or Ethereal (counter to ghost) it could be cool but if they are adding a new type (which i dont see as likely), it would probably be light

Um..Digimon would reject those types, hell Neopets would reject those types (do they even have types). Yth would we need sun when we have fire and electric, and ghost already has a counter, called dark.

Anyway, Light and Sound seem to be very relevant points, but niether of them PWN dragons. As someone brought up earlier, the Dragons are now borderline uber. They need a 3rd weakness for dragon types, like when they made dark to balance out the uberocity of Psychic types in Gen 2. Light and Sound wouldn't really effect a dragon though. I can't see Reshiram blinding Salamence with Light Rays or Exploud screaming sonic waves till Garchomp is deaf.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
  • Um..Digimon would reject those types, hell Neopets would reject those types (do they even have types). Yth would we need sun when we have fire and electric, and ghost already has a counter, called dark.

Anyway, Light and Sound seem to be very relevant points, but niether of them PWN dragons. As someone brought up earlier, the Dragons are now borderline uber. They need a 3rd weakness for dragon types, like when they made dark to balance out the uberocity of Psychic types in Gen 2. Light and Sound wouldn't really effect a dragon though. I can't see Reshiram blinding Salamence with Light Rays or Exploud screaming sonic waves till Garchomp is deaf.

sun could be a purely defensive/supportive type. they are blurring all the types together with some of these new moves. its now getting down to just super effective/not effective. i'd like to see them give types a role in your party now. grass and poison are the only ones that i really see as specilized right now. i wasn't talking like ethereal was a combat counter to ghost. more a moral counter. like ghost and dark seem evil. psychic and ethereal/light are good. it was just a suggestion

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
  • I personally think that a light-type would be a great addition. Ooh... An idea for a new ability, Chlorophyll (I don't think that's already an ability). When a Pokemon (Primarily grass type) is hit by a light-type move, it's health would be regenerated, much like the ability FlashFire or VoltAbsorb. Just a thought.

Mac@ACK!

RIP Chompy... Hello Zekrom!
    Years
  • I personally think that a light-type would be a great addition. Ooh... An idea for a new ability, Chlorophyll (I don't think that's already an ability). When a Pokemon (Primarily grass type) is hit by a light-type move, it's health would be regenerated, much like the ability FlashFire or VoltAbsorb. Just a thought.

Chlorophyll is an ability... Has to do with SUNNY DAY which is a FIRE TYPE!!!

Think of all of the moves out there now that represent a supposed "Light type". Doom Desire, Flash Cannon, Sunny Day, Flash, etc. all of these are covered by Steel, Fire, Normal, Electric, and Psychic. Even Dragons, in Chinese Mythology, represented goodness and light. To say that Light type might be effective against them... no... If anything, Poison needs to be SE against Dragons. Not because Poison doesn't get much, it just fits and would balance the lizards OPness with the sludges crapness (i.e. supereffective to only grass)

We all want to see more power in our favorite types, but right now, I think the guys at GF need to work on getting the types they ALREADY HAVE worked out before they say, ooh, we need new type here.

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
  • Okay honestly this light type I'm actually against
    I'm usually for a lot of things
    The fact is light (to me) would only make sense to be super effective against dark and ghost.
    I don't see how it would make sense for it be super effective against dragon types.
    Also something people seem to be forgetting to mention is the fact that dragon is also super effective against dragon...not just ice.
    Bug has the power it deserves now with actual good attacks like x-scissor as bug is actually super effective against the ever so powerful psychic types.
    I was a huge fan of scizor in SS/HG for that reason.
    I will give you the benefit for poison being underpowered and everybody only using toxic as it's the only move actually worth using it seems.
    I don't see how light would be super effective against poison either but I guess it could be stretched.

Yeah, and then how can you see that ICE could be super effective against Dragon types? The truth is, the dragon type is basically a mix of the flying type and the normal type, but since everyone thinks of them as really powerful pokemon, they don't have those same weaknesses. But since they had to be weak to something, they chose Ice because its powerful against few things (Grass).

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    NO LIGHT TYPE. or any new type.

all they need to do is make adjustments. for example, bugs should not be weak against rock type anymore.

exactly!! ive always thought this!! bug losing its rock weakness would really help it cos not only is being weak to rock type moves themselves annoying but stealth rock (which i feel should be weakened CONSIDERABLY this generation) destroys bug pokemon who are easy to finish off because of all there weaknesses..

plus poison needs to be super effective against i think 2 more types would be fair? i was thinking dragon and flying..

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Dec 1, 2014
    I'd see Light as a fairly balancing type.

Let's see how.

Super Effective:

Looking over possibilities as both a photon and a purity form, these types come to mind:

Dragon, Dark, Ghost, Water, Steel

Steel is highly reflective and will leave a great glare and will burn to the touch. Water is too, and focused photons can vaporize it.

Dragon, Dark and Ghost are the 'evil' types vanquished by warriors of light... with orbs... warm destiny orbs!

So that's a bunch of common types countered there.

But where would it fall flat?

Fire, Ice, Electric, Poison

Fire and Electric would mostly be empowered. Ice needs a new resistance and Ice looks nice and shiny in the right light. Poisonous clouds deny sunlight: ask planet Venus!

Immune Types as I could see it.

Grass, Psychic.

Psychics are 'enlightened', thus above the light that is to be. Grass just absorbs it because its yummy sunlight!

As a defensive type.... things get interesting.

Weakness wise its a bit hard to say the way things could be.

Ghost, Poison, Psychic, Dragon

Simple enough. Poison murks up light types and ghost or shadows just block the light away. Dragons can use their mysticness to siphon it and psychics enlighten themselves even further! Lots of underrep'd types attackwise.

But what doesn't hit hard?

Fire, Ice, Electric, Ground, Rock, Fight

The physical earth cannot beat the light which enriches soil and the bright fires and sparks cannot really harm it. Can you punch intangible light without being Chuck Norris? Go ahead, punch a star! Ice will start to melt...ish.

Types Light could be immune to:

Dark

Shadows may pass, but you cannot absense the light without gravity!

So let's see what it does to the type chart:

New SE hits for Poison and Ghost! SHWEET!
    Ice/Electric and Rock/Ground/Fight resist? Double sweet!
    New SE dragon hit and dragon slayer? Awesome?
    A middle finger for Spiritomb, Seadra, and all 3 Sinnoh Legendary dragons? Can't complain!
    Grass and psychic get an immunity? Uh, Okay.

The only thing missing is something to give electricity a second weakness.

This post is Ironic because its the 666th response!

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Agreed, Dilasc. I think the Light type doesn't need to be considered only to do with photons or only to do with purity/holiness; why not both? That's how Dark is conceived - both as a lack of physical light, for example Faint Attack or Pursuit, and also as impurity or "evil", like Dark Pulse or Bite.

Check out this thread. You'll see that BleuVII has conceived the Light-type - and its various type matchups - pretty similarly to how you have. For the skeptics out there - it's clearly not too close to Psychic as a type, if two completely separate people have managed to put a bit of thought into it and come up with perfectly reasonable concepts.

Oh, and the number of the beast is 616, not 666...

Turnabout

bonk!
    Years
  • I would like to see Plastic Type for the man-made pokemon.

Haha, oh man :'D That'd be so weird.

Anyway, I don't think there's any need for a new type, although I would like to see some adjustments to existing types.

The point is, a LOT of people would get angry if a new typing was introduced this late... plus they'd have to change the typings of a lot of existing moves and muck up people's "perfect" movesets etc etc

Also, there isn't a dire need for a new type, I think we have all the types we need and it's just silly wanting even more :/

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Haha, oh man :'D That'd be so weird.

Anyway, I don't think there's any need for a new type, although I would like to see some adjustments to existing types.

The point is, a LOT of people would get angry if a new typing was introduced this late... plus they'd have to change the typings of a lot of existing moves and muck up people's "perfect" movesets etc etc

Also, there isn't a dire need for a new type, I think we have all the types we need and it's just silly wanting even more :/

ya adjustments would be great cos a lot of people are just instantly consigned to the scrap heap when they are giving a certain typing and its not really fair for them

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Adding a light type to balance the types smh...obviously some of you guys haven't read up on the thread. That's already been discussed and taken apart. All you need is a solid ice move to combat your feisty dragons. Most of them carry a 4x weakness...and don't even mention Kingdra because it doesn't compare to the likes of Dragonite/Salamence/Garchomp, hell even Flygon. Also, I just don't see how practical it is to add the light type for this.

Also, bug will always be weak to rock. That's just common sense.
    ~bug go squishy squishy!

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Adding a light type to balance the types smh...obviously some of you guys haven't read up on the thread. That's already been discussed and taken apart. All you need is a solid ice move to combat your feisty dragons. Most of them carry a 4x weakness...and don't even mention Kingdra because it doesn't compare to the likes of Dragonite/Salamence/Garchomp, hell even Flygon. Also, I just don't see how practical it is to add the light type for this.

Also, bug will always be weak to rock. That's just common sense.
    ~bug go squishy squishy!

I don't think the real problem is that Dragons are overpowered, because of the 4x weaknesses you mentioned. I think the real problem, why Pokemon isn't as balanced as people seem to claim it is, is that types like Poison, Bug and Normal are so clearly underpowered. That's what a new type could bring - a bit more strength to the weaker types, while potentially undermining the current "stronger" types. While "strong" and "weak" types exist, the game isn't balanced, by definition.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back