• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New UU format for the TCG

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2015
    I had this idea after realizing how many cards there are that don't see play at all, and how expensive a lot of the necessary "staple" cards in the TCG are.
    My Idea is really simple.
    Start with the existing Expanded format and add the following restrictions:

No Pokemon EX (They are pretty OP, and expensive)

Only one copy of each supporter card is allowed in your deck. (This includes same effect cards like professors juniper and sycamore). This somewhat limits the power of trainer cards. and will make decks slightly less consistent. The following rule will balance this out though

There wont be prize cards. only counters or a die to keep track of how many Pokemon have fainted. This is a no brainier. The game should have had this from the beginning. Not having 10% of your cards accessible form the get go is really annoying. especially when it is random.

(maybe) Play with weakness and resistance all as +/- 10, respectively. Your mono grass deck shouldn't outright fail against a mono fire deck because of the type of Pokemon you use. however, the type advantages in Pokemon make it interesting and shouldn't outright be ignored.

The following cards are banned:
    Rare candy
    Pokemon catcher
    Crush hammer
    All ace spec cards.
    Hypnotoxic laser
    Virbank city gym
    Muscle band
    Double colorless energy
    as well as anything that proves to be just way too powerful and dominating for this format.

In conclusion, I think removing OP cards and rules that dont make much sense would make for a fun new side format to try.

What do you think?
    What are some cards that you would like to see banned that would allow this format to shine?
    Are there anymore rule changes you would like to see/ not see?

Years
  • You'd have to stop banning cards at some point, because something will always rise to be the cream of the crop of what's left.

Besides, a lot of the blanket banned cards aren't nearly as broken as you'd think.

A lot of EXs are just not good at all and can be handily destroyed by a properly played Stage 2.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2015
    Yes I know banning will not stop certain strategies from becoming the best. but I only intend for cards to be banned if they are so good that every deck requires them to be good, or if they are used to make a strategy that is way too far over the top. I am ok with certain things being the best. I just want to make sure that pretty much all decent strategies will have at least somewhat of a shot at winning sometimes.

as far as banning EX's go I feel that their large initial HP for a basic Pokemon can be used for stalling very early in the game.
    and again the issue with cost. The less ultra rares we have to buy to play, the better.

RyuError

It's the Grineer.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2015
    A side format with 40 card decks without rares, I play this with my friends and it's very funny. You see some strategies that you never would think to use.

Years
  • Can you be specific about which ones? and give me some scenarios?

I really appreciate your input.

Well, most of the Ace Specs fall into that zone where they're too good to allow 4 at a time in a deck, but not good enough where they merit replacing the objectively better Ace Specs like Computer Search for a deck spot. And a few significant ones are extremely situational (Victory Piece, for instance).

And the bulk of the lower HP EX cards are pretty easy to take out considering how many prizes you lose when they get KO'd.

Specifics evade me as I've not looked at a list of them in a while, but most of the ones where their only attack takes 3 or 4 energy are pretty easy to KO before they get set up, as are the low HP ones like Mew.

Back