• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Nintendo's Miyamoto Steps Down

Years

Miyamoto Steps Down

Shigeru Miyamoto has stepped down from his position at Nintendo to "concentrate on smaller games."

Does this spell a new era of Nintendo games? What do you think of this?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I am thinking of what will come out of him now that he's refocusing his efforts. I do hope that all of them will be enjoyable in a way! It might mean a new type of Nintendo games alongside what's there right now.

Years
    Indeed.
    As far as I know, he hasn't retired, just concentrating on smaller parts of the company, but he has stepped down from his big role.​

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Good for him. I've been hearing rumours for a while that he just wasn't very happy being so high up and so divorced from the actual development so that he's going back to do what he wants is a very good thing. I hope it means more creative games on the horizon instead of the wealth of Mario sports games and spinoffs like we've been seeing the past few years. :s

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Oddly, when he first started in the director/supervisory role of so many projects (of varying quality :\) I remember him saying that he was doing it because development and concentration on just one project was taking a toll on him and his heart was acting up. That the managerial role was supposed to be easier and better for him.

Even if it was... if it's not what he wants to do, then it's not what he wants to do.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto's role at Nintendo is not changing. He will continue to be a driving force in Nintendo's development efforts. In discussing his priorities at Nintendo in a media interview, Mr. Miyamoto explained how he is encouraging the younger developers at the company to take more initiative and responsibility for developing software. He attempted to convey his priorities moving forward, inclusive of overseeing all video game development and ensuring the quality of all products. Mr. Miyamoto also discussed his desire to pursue fresh ideas and experiences of the kind that sparked his initial interest in video games.

I'm still hoping he stays in that position so Mario won't turn into Sonic. A shell of what he once was. ;_;

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm still hoping he stays in that position so Mario won't turn into Sonic. A shell of what he once was. ;_;
    He is already. Waaaaay to many spin-offs. Leave it at Kart and Tennis.

The "New!" series of sidescrolling platformers are a pale imitation of the glory days. I adore Super Mario Galaxy 2, but people would like to see stuff more along the lines of Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie with large worlds to explore

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    He might not have that "Big shot" title anymore but as long as he works for Nintendo he's still the top dog there.
    If he wants to work on smaller things then good for him. He already has many big named titles under his belt, and there's a lot of pressure that goes along with it. So maybe now he can relax... maybe.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I think it would be cool if Miyamoto tried to make a completely new franchise...like he is credited with starting zelda, and mario etc. Instead of spinoffs and crossovers, just take a risk and invent a totally new concept. Maybe he has recently and I am unaware though.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I think it would be cool if Miyamoto tried to make a completely new franchise...like he is credited with starting zelda, and mario etc. Instead of spinoffs and crossovers, just take a risk and invent a totally new concept. Maybe he has recently and I am unaware though.
    The last ones that came to mind were Pikmin and Nintendogs.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    I kinda laughed after I saw this, but then I realized it was a good idea. The games with no glory will get a bump.

EDIT - LONG LIVE PIKMIN!

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Speaking to The Wall Street Journal (through a translator) he said, "We have to construct the structure so that the organization...can make it without me. I should also admit that it might be better without me; I mean that a different approach and different talent might emerge, though I shouldn't dwell on this because then the article might indeed say 'Mr. Miyamoto is thinking about retiring,' because that is not the case."

So... I dunno. He thinks that he's a problem at any rate - I agree with that (and don't, at the same time)

Years

I would have to agree. He birthed so many well-known franchises it would be really interesting to see what kind of thing he could up with for this generation.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I would have to agree. He birthed so many well-known franchises it would be really interesting to see what kind of thing he could up with for this generation.
    He tries to build a game around the hardware, while at the same time adapting a hobby or passion he has at the time. The GameCube's ability to have a lot going on on the screen at one time + Miyamoto gardening = Pikmin. Touch controls + Miyamoto liking dogs = Nintendogs.

The Wii led to a bunch of pet projects from Miyamoto based on motion + passing interests he had this generation. All the "Wii" games. Sports, Fit, Music... that was him. Not the best turn out, but interesting. The Wii U should be promising.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    Whatever it is, I'm sure Nintendo will still be releasing fun games. Not that most graphically beautiful, but some of the more enjoyable ones are and will be on the Nintendo.

Back