• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Next game: sequel, remake, or revisit?

Pick one:

• Alola Sequel

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Sinnoh Remake

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Gen 8

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    Okay, we're all wondering what's next for this amazing generation. Mostly, we've been expecting or hoping for a sequel or a remake of gen 4 (though some claim a gen 1 remake is coming). However, I think there's another possibility: a revisit. What I mean is a new adventure in one of the previous regions. This would have the benefit of being nostalgic for the old fans, but continue the story of Sun and Moon for the new fans. Imagine a new game set in Kanto where Lillie is our rival, we face off against the reformed Team Rocket, and we find out who the new champion is.

What do you guys think?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    At this point, I would not be surprised at any of the following outcomes;

Sinnoh remakes
    Kanto revisit
    Sun/Moon sequels

Years
  • Sun and Moon sequels are possible, but I think a remake is coming next. Probably DPPt remakes, but could be B/W remakes, since there were quite a few Unova references and characters appearing in the games.

Kanto though? Doubtful. We've had that remade too much already.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    Okay, we're all wondering what's next for this amazing generation. Mostly, we've been expecting or hoping for a sequel or a remake of gen 4 (though some claim a gen 1 remake is coming). However, I think there's another possibility: a revisit. What I mean is a new adventure in one of the previous regions. This would have the benefit of being nostalgic for the old fans, but continue the story of Sun and Moon for the new fans. Imagine a new game set in Kanto where Lillie is our rival, we face off against the reformed Team Rocket, and we find out who the new champion is.

What do you guys think?

According to the pattern right now, I think it is safe to say that next is going to be DDPt Remakes.

But I do want a Sun and Moon sequel since it was so good.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Honestly the very end of the credits made me think "okay, what the hell is coming next?" That having been said, I've thought of a few things that could happen...

1. A third game (which is somewhat unlikely unless tPC has developed Necrozma to a further extent, or include both legendary Pokémon somehow.)
    2. A Sun/Moon port to the Switch (with additional content, potentially expanded post-game plot.)
    3. Diamond/Pearl/maybe just a Platinum remake.
    4. 'Sequels' combining both Kanto and Alola.

And to leave with something very unlikely but could happen...

Nothing. Ever since Generation V (and around 2009 onwards, for that matter), Nintendo and tPCI have philosophically gone from a predictable pattern to "screw that, give people what they least expect!" While Sun/Moon left enough holes open to create a sequel if they so choose, it also wrapped things up in a way that gives Alola closure.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Right, I'm thinking the next game(s) will be a sequel as they've left so many open pathways they could take after seeing the way Sun and Moon ended. Following that, assuming the next game is on the Switch then I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Diamond and Pearl remakes within the same generation.

If the sequel for S/M releases for late 2017 as rumored, then we could expect DP remakes sometime during 2018. Not only would that be a 12-year gap from the original Diamond & Pearl, but it would also give them enough time to announce release generation VII by the very end of 2019 continuing the 3-year per generation pattern. It's been done before, in gen IV we had a third game (Platinum) followed by a remakes (HGSS). I think they could do a great job with a sequel and remakes if they tie it both of them into the storyline of Sun and Moon.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • The game straight after SM I have no idea, but between an SM third version or sequels, I would very much prefer sequels. Or the best idea would be: a combination between a third version and a sequel, as in like there is only one version, but inside is a sequel which could improve on SM's mistakes as well as continue the story with new protagonists.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i remember quite a few dppt references throughout the game, but more prominently a lot of talk of kanto. I've been thinking myself we could have a dppt or another rby remake, but the way the story ended makes me think of a kanto revisit also. also is it confirmed that x&y is over with for now anyway?

Years
  • I really don't see a Sinnoh remake coming just yet, but the two year gap between ORAS and SM could mean it's possible. Tbh, I think we'll see sequels to Sun and Moon, which would be really cool imo.

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    I feel like if there's going to be a remake next, it would be for D/P/Pt since those are next on the remake list. Kanto, Johto, and Hoen have got remakes, so Sinnoh seems the next logical step.

Honestly though, I'd hope for the next games to be a completely new thing with new Pokemon.

Azelf Ibrahim

Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?
    Years
  • There is a third version rumoured coming to the Nintendo Switch called Pokémon Stars. Game Freak have already confirmed that they will be making games for the Switch console.

I predict a third version/sequel will come next to the Switch. Then D/P/Pt remakes for 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2019
    If they happen to do a sequel (which I'm hoping for), I'd like to see Hau and a redeemed Guzma as trial captains. I think that would be really cool.

w1nd1n6s

Got my mind, soul and my body.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    With the UB Roaming around and Lillie going to Kanto I think there would be a mix between Gen 1 & 4. Maybe a remake that would intertwine the 2 generations to wrap up the plot.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    neither, its going to be a diamond pearl remake. 2 years after sun and moon release at that. 4 years from now they will release a new generation and 6 years from now they will release a black and white remake. maybe in a year we will see a revisit of sun/moon, but i mean i doubt it, what would the 3rd installment of 7th gen even be called? earth? shadow? I dont see it happening.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Which pattern?

every year or two they make a new game, whether its two or one year wait seems to be random. other than that its a pretty steady rotation of new games followed by remakes followed by new games.

1. red/blue/green 1998 (96 japan)
    2. yellow 1999 (98 japan)
    3. gold/silver 2000(99 japan)
    4. crystal 2001(2000 japan)
    5. ruby/saphire 2003(2002 japan)
    6. red/green remakes 2004
    7. emerald 2005(2004 japan)
    8. Diamond/Pearl 2007(2006 japan)
    9. Platinum 2009 (2008 japan)
    10.gold/silver remakes 2010(2009 japan)
    11. B/W 2011 (2010 japan)
    12. B/W2 2012
    13. x/y 2013
    14. ruby/saphire remake 2014
    15. sun/moon 2016

so...it seems they are rotating between remaking a game they are yet to remake and making a new generation. They make a new game every year to two years. Our best bet would be on a d/p remake on its way, but who knows, we may get some wierd kanto/alohlan hybrid like people are saying.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Here is my official prediction;

NX version of Sun/Moon codename "Stars" sometime next year.
    Diamond/Pearl remakes in Spring of 2018.
    And then after that... who knows?

Years
  • Red, Blue and Yellow in this 3D gen. I'd be all over that. Have some of the newer Pokemon in it once you pass the E4 on the National Dex.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • SM Sequel or Sinnoh Remake?

It may be a bit early to be thinking about the future of the next Pokémon games with Generation 7 just debuting,but thinking ahead doesn't hurt anyone am I right ;)?

What would you like to see GF put out next? Would you like to see an Alola Sequel, Sinnoh Remake, or Generation 8 game? Why? What would you like to see in the next games? Would you like to see a spin-off instead?

Bonus Question: Do you think GF will/should continue the Pokémon franchise? Why or why not?

Last edited:
    Back