• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Next Pokemon Game?

-PoKeMoN_gAmEr-

HydrosPlays | PokéTuber
Years
  • In the past years we have seen Pokemon Blue and Red the followed by Yellow. Then came Gold and Silver followed by Crystal. Then in Sapphire and Ruby came along Emerald, Diamond and Pearl followed up with Platinum. So B/W and B/W 2, do you think that they will appear with a similar pattern to the games with a game that has both Black and White Legendaries in it with another legendary being the cover figure of the game? Such like Giritina was for Pt, and Rayquaza was for Emerald.

Post your thoughts, this is mainly for opinions and thoughts on a next upcoming game based on the patterns of the games released. This is mainly for in the US i am not focusing on Japan game releases.

If you think that there will be a new game to combine B/W, what do you think it could be called and what pokemon would be the cover figure.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay so while we have had a "fifth" game thread here before, that was when B2W2 discussion was actually here, so it wasn't as much of an issue because both sections were combined, however both games are different and thus if we're discussing just in the B/W side, then that limits discussion, and really it concerns both B/W and B2W2 at once. Sooo I'm throwing it over to PGC rather than keeping the idea of a final combination game here (while I had the Grey > B2W2 thread still in B/W, it was technically okay because it concerned B/W only, and not B2W2, while this concerns both games).

Syd feel free to do what you'd like with it and so on!

Midnyte

Pokerus Failure, Newish PCer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I'm not sure what it would be called, but it would probably have Kyurem on the cover.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    No...I don't think Kyurem would be used like that; Rayquaza was the one who could calm Kyogre and Groudon, and Giratina had some connection to the other two mascots therein, but Kyurem is a completely separate character in its use and has no connection that I know of. So no, there would have to be something else introduced to be a mascot.

I think though that it would be cool to give Keldeo an actual storyline plot somewhere, and introduce it to the story. There would have to be at least another new Pokémon added to be #650 as well; can't go to a new colour and not add something!

Cyclone

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    B2W2 is to Black and White as Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire.

There really won't be another one as the typical Thirds baring Yellow were all Director's cut games that merged the two games together. With the storyline of Black and White there wouldn't be a director's cut cause each had a specific Legend association that HAD to be captured. B2W2 are the sequels that continue the story and close it up as best as they can. They could TRY to add a Director's Cut of B2W2 but it wouldn't change any part of the story unless the add the Protagonist from the other game. The Protagonist was excluded because there was no way to determine who it was before the end of the game or which version you played.

I keep repeating Mana Ibe, but "Black and White's Installment is over with Black and White." Black 2 and White 2 are separate installments in their own merit so they are sorta Generation 5 and a half. Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 are pretty much closed. Too many inconsitencies to combine the stories thanks to N's Legend choice being heavily effected on the story as a whole. Not to mention Kyurem has already been used and there isn't any other legend set worth doing cept maybe the Kami or Musketdeer, though both of them seem to play a little bit with both stories, just not anything heavy.

Personal opinion. Gen 5 is done. Next is gen 6.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    B2W2 is to Black and White as Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire.

I disagree right there.

Emerald was a 'director's cut'/merging yea, so it wasn't any kind of continuation to RS, while BW2 are obviously continuations of BW instead of a retelling. Seems like you've worded something off there, haha.

Wrong. I'm holding out for R/S remakes.

Cyclone

Remakes have no real place in terms of gen releases; we've only been brought to believe that because of the first and only two, no official confirmation of any connection.

I'm not saying that we couldn't see them as the end of this gen, but it wouldn't be 'out of order' to instead see them in Gen 6. Them already stretching the DS to death with Gen 5 seems to point at the DS being over with though.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • I disagree right there.

Emerald was a 'director's cut'/merging yea, so it wasn't any kind of continuation to RS, while BW2 are obviously continuations of BW instead of a retelling. Seems like you've worded something off there, haha.

How about this:
    BW2 are to BW, not just what Emerald was to RS, but an actual step further.

Meaning, while we cannot say whether "sequels" have replaced "third versions" for any upcoming games, but it is safe to assume that there won't a "third version" for BW/2, as they already got "sequels".

Both concepts play the role of focusing on the legendaries that were prepared for being featured in such later games.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Remakes have no real place in terms of gen releases; we've only been brought to believe that because of the first and only two, no official confirmation of any connection.

I'm not saying that we couldn't see them as the end of this gen, but it wouldn't be 'out of order' to instead see them in Gen 6. Them already stretching the DS to death with Gen 5 seems to point at the DS being over with though.
    Incorrect on the bolded segment. FR/LG came in Generation III (which I call Generation III because it featured all Hoenn Pokémon in the Pokédex, up to #386), and HG/SS came in Generation IV (because they had up to #493). To keep sequential order, RR/SS (for lack of better letters) would come in Gen. V. Gamefreak is trying to reduce reliance on old games, so they would go against themselves not to have DS remakes.

Cyclone

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • Incorrect on the bolded segment. FR/LG came in Generation III (which I call Generation III because it featured all Hoenn Pokémon in the Pokédex, up to #386), and HG/SS came in Generation IV (because they had up to #493). To keep sequential order, RR/SS (for lack of better letters) would come in Gen. V. Gamefreak is trying to reduce reliance on old games, so they would go against themselves not to have DS remakes.

Cyclone

but they already broke any "pattern" when they put 2 generations on the same handheld, not to mention the sequels, BW2 which no one saw coming..

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Cyclone you can't say people are wrong or incorrect when they say personal opinions. There is no support to say we are getting remakes. There are news reports and interviews to back up my opinion. Mana Ibe said Black and White were finished. She was right as we got Black 2 and White 2 instead of a continuation to the installment with a Director's Cut Third Version. Whether Black 2 and White 2's Installment is over no one outside of Gamefreak can say

As far as B2W2 being the "Third" installment to Generation 5. Yes they technically are. B2W2 IS to Black and White what Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire or Crystal was to Gold and Silver, or what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl. B2W2 take the place of the Third installment, but seeing as there isn't a third installment for Black and White, according to Mana Ibe, B2W2 take that place. While the fundamentals of the games are different, they serve the same role to extend the Generation a bit further and gives more indepth story to the region.

Basing solely on what 'I' personally know from all information presented both in game and from the company that produces it. I'm making the assumption that Generation 6 is next. That is not incorrect as it is an assumption based on my opinion of what I've gathered.

To get word of Remakes for Generation 5, we'll need a news report somewhere between December and February. That would give them time to release in Summer of 2013. If they display news later than that it would be a Fall/Winter Release. If we don't get news of remakes this up coming year, there is a chance that we are getting Generation 6 as it will have been at least 3 years since Generation 5's release in Japan which is the minimum amount of time they usually release the next Generation. So if they prolong remakes there is a 50:50 chance of the next game set being the next Generation.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    but they already broke any "pattern" when they put 2 generations on the same handheld, not to mention the sequels, BW2 which no one saw coming..

Cyclone you can't say people are wrong or incorrect when they say personal opinions. There is no support to say we are getting remakes. There are news reports and interviews to back up my opinion. Mana Ibe said Black and White were finished. She was right as we got Black 2 and White 2 instead of a continuation to the installment with a Director's Cut Third Version. Whether Black 2 and White 2's Installment is over no one outside of Gamefreak can say

As far as B2W2 being the "Third" installment to Generation 5. Yes they technically are. B2W2 IS to Black and White what Emerald was to Ruby and Sapphire or Crystal was to Gold and Silver, or what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl. B2W2 take the place of the Third installment, but seeing as there isn't a third installment for Black and White, according to Mana Ibe, B2W2 take that place. While the fundamentals of the games are different, they serve the same role to extend the Generation a bit further and gives more indepth story to the region.

Basing solely on what 'I' personally know from all information presented both in game and from the company that produces it. I'm making the assumption that Generation 6 is next. That is not incorrect as it is an assumption based on my opinion of what I've gathered.

To get word of Remakes for Generation 5, we'll need a news report somewhere between December and February. That would give them time to release in Summer of 2013. If they display news later than that it would be a Fall/Winter Release. If we don't get news of remakes this up coming year, there is a chance that we are getting Generation 6 as it will have been at least 3 years since Generation 5's release in Japan which is the minimum amount of time they usually release the next Generation. So if they prolong remakes there is a 50:50 chance of the next game set being the next Generation.
    My prediction is what it is, I'm saying I disagree with other predictions and that they will be incorrect. Of course, if I find out that they do not do R/S remakes, leaving them as the only pair of games never to be on the DS, I will eat my...shirt. (Since I don't wear hats.)

As for a third installment, I'd love to see a story tying game in relation to B2/W2 as a final generational installment, but I highly doubt it will happen. Further, given they brought everyone back from the old generations in these games, is it possible this could end the series? That thought came to mind for me.

Cyclone

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • I have a hunch.
    Since gen V was the biggest generation yet with 156 pokemon... perhaps gen VI will be an even more extreme case than DPt, in that it would have maybe as few as 70 pokemon, with most of them evolutions and babies of past 5 gens, along with some special pokes.
    In other words, as few casual and reinvented stuff as possible, relying heavily on the past to fill the common roles like Johto and Sinnoh did.

My point is, if the upcoming generation were the shortest ever, they probably wouldn't require long boring gap of nothing from now till then. (If they wanted to drag it further for some remake thing, they simply would not have revealed Genesect like they just did, so there is definitely something new coming next.)

This way they could also focus on the change to 3DS, and then be followed by some nostalgia games that feature Hoenn in one way or another, and then either release another major generation after mastering the 3DS, or putting it on whatever is next, depending on how the handheld successor business will be going xD..

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I have a hunch.
    Since gen V was the biggest generation yet with 156 pokemon... perhaps gen VI will be an even more extreme case than DPt, in that it would have maybe as few as 70 pokemon, with most of them evolutions and babies of past 5 gens, along with some special pokes.
    In other words, as few casual and reinvented stuff as possible, relying heavily on the past to fill the common roles like Johto and Sinnoh did.

My point is, if the upcoming generation were the shortest ever, they probably wouldn't require long boring gap of nothing from now till then. (If they wanted to drag it further for some remake thing, they simply would not have revealed Genesect like they just did, so there is definitely something new coming next.)

This way they could also focus on the change to 3DS, and then be followed by some nostalgia games that feature Hoenn in one way or another, and then either release another major generation after mastering the 3DS, or putting it on whatever is next, depending on how the handheld successor business will be going xD..
    I would love for R/S to be the first remakes exclusively for the 3DS. Encourage people to move to it. However, this begs a problem; players who have an original DS and a 3DS are going to be forced to do some incredible juggling.

And I stand to correct myself on my earlier post; FR/LG were released on Gameboy SP, but are compatible with the DS. Gen. II was the first remake exclusively on the DS. This brings another possibility; the 3DS could be the next remake station. Hoenn in 3D, wouldn't that be nice?

Cyclone

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Whatever game(s) pop up first for 3DS/Gen VI...I'm still trying to imagine what they would look like. We probably will have free movement finally, but still can't figure out how far of a change look will be. They could easily pull off something in the style of Colosseum/XD(but with a core game-like overworld), but would that be too big of a change? I don't think so, but a lot seem torn on that thought. Could it take on a similiar style to Paper Mario but in a more 3Dish world, as in 2D cut-outs roaming about with even more angle appearances?

Btw, I kind of doubt this would be the end as they only just gave it the kind of fresh start they wanted. It would be a bit disappointing to see it disappear out-of-the-blue like that.

All of this next game talk is making it even tougher to wait though.

Incorrect on the bolded segment. FR/LG came in Generation III (which I call Generation III because it featured all Hoenn Pokémon in the Pokédex, up to #386), and HG/SS came in Generation IV (because they had up to #493). To keep sequential order, RR/SS (for lack of better letters) would come in Gen. V. Gamefreak is trying to reduce reliance on old games, so they would go against themselves not to have DS remakes.

Cyclone

Like MiT brought up, they pretty much broke any pattern that would have turned up, imo. Past release times don't even really matter much there because two does not make a pattern anyway.

Generation 5 isn't over yet, there's atleast one more game that they could release (IMO) which I hope is a remake.

Are you referring to the fact that there are still some announced DS releases for '2013? Or are you saying you don't think a console split would matter for the last one? The only thing I find odd really is the lack of spin-offs. :l

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Whatever game(s) pop up first for 3DS/Gen VI...I'm still trying to imagine what they would look like. We probably will have free movement finally, but still can't figure out how far of a change look will be. They could easily pull off something in the style of Colosseum/XD(but with a core game-like overworld), but would that be too big of a change? I don't think so, but a lot seem torn on that thought. Could it take on a similiar style to Paper Mario but in a more 3Dish world, as in 2D cut-outs roaming about with even more angle appearances?

Btw, I kind of doubt this would be the end as they only just gave it the kind of fresh start they wanted. It would be a bit disappointing to see it disappear out-of-the-blue like that.

All of this next game talk is making it even tougher to wait though.

Are you referring to the fact that there are still some announced DS releases for '2013? Or are you saying you don't think a console split would matter for the last one? :l

I'm saying I think there is one last game or games for Generation V, whether that be on the DS or 3DS I don't know but given the duration of time that the 3DS has been released and the development on the next game has been going on for, it could well be for either.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

I'm saying I think there is one last game or games for Generation V, whether that be on the DS or 3DS I don't know but given the duration of time that the 3DS has been released and the development on the next game has been going on for, it could well be for either.

Yeah, I guess it would depend on when they actually started working on the games, although it seems like BW and BW2 probably ate up a lot of their time. With them switching up stuff all of a sudden, can't really be sure of what will end Gen V(if it truely isn't up and there is one last game). :l

Back