• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Niche hardware

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    Nearly since the dawn of the consoles their were devices which where not that successful as their mainstream counterparts. Nearly every generation had one of these hardware curios but nowadays there are more than ever.
    Especially Android devices are flooding the market. Their are many asian devices based on cheap Rockhips and also devices like OUYA, Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire etc. are coming more and more every year.

Therefore I wanted to know if you are interested in such hardware. Whats is your opinion about it? Do you own some of it?

At the moment I own an Android handheld called Gametab One.

Spoiler:

I really love the device. I mainly use it as an emulator machine. I play a lot of hacks with it (mainly Mario and Pokémon hacks) and it's really perfect for it. I play also some regular roms with emulators on it. Often these are Roms i won in original but in case of SNES or PS1 I like to play them with a handheld, in case of GB I like the Background screen and in case of GBA and NDS I like that my Android handheld has a much better handling. The build quality is quite good (especially these chinese devices have sometimes a really bad quality) the differences between a mainstream Sony or Nintendo handheld are not that big anymore.

Besides the Gametab One I used to have these devices in my childhood:

Spoiler:

They often where packaged with candy. They had several games on it. All of them where in this very basic pixel optic. Therefore you had games like Snake, Tetris and so on. The build quality was also not that good and you could not change the battery therefore they where only playable for a short amount of time. But they where really cheap and kept me entertained for quite a time.

Back