• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames or not?

Do you nickname your Pokemon

• Yes

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Do you nickname your pokemon or not?

Give your reason to your answer

I don't nickname my pokemon...
    I'm not creative enough...

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    No, I find it very bland and stupid. People who nickname usually tend to pick gross and stupid nicknames. I like to keep the pokemon's originality by not nicknaming them ever.

LugiaFreak

Years
    Pokémon Nicknames

I used to, when I was playing Sapphire and Ruby. In my opinion, I really liked the nicknames I gave my Pokemon, but eventually it got to hard to think of decent names. I don't like to nickname them anymore.

Example: I had Fawkes the Torchic, Scepgecko the Treecko, Mudfin the Mudkip, Whitewash the Wingull... I thought they were cool, anyway. :-)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2009
    I haven't nicknamed my pokes since I was a kid. I think it's a bit of a waste of time.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I would occasionally give my Pokémon nicknames if they were special or ones I wanted to use for a while. But for the most part, I didn't/don't nickname them :| It makes it too confusing to move stuff around, and to keep track of stuff. Besides, I like the default names for the most part, and don't really need to give them nicknames XD

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm basically on the same boat as Aegis on this. Unless I had wanted them forever, or had them and grown attatched to them over time more than normal (with the exception of starters; which I never will/have nicknamed them) I wouldn't give them a nickname. Apart from that, I think nicknames, though a great feature to the game, are a waste of time. Because no matter what, a Charmander named Krissella or something is still going to be a Charmander and it's not like that really effects anything in the game. Unless there is something I'm missing. Apart from that, I hate thinking when I don't have to. So why would I spend hours trying to think of a nickname for something when I know eventually it will just end up evolving and then I'll have to think of a new nickname.

That used to happen back in the days of Red and whatnot. Once they evolved, I didn't think that the nickname really matched it and didn't know much about the Pokemon in the game back then, so I wouldn't have anything to relate to.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    At one point I weaved in and out of nicknaming pokemon but now I do it as often as I can because I find it very fun.

cheese rox!

And in came cheese
    Years
    I always nickname unowns whatever letter they are.

Example:

You caught an UnownF! Would you like to nickname it? Yes What would you like to call it? F

End example.

Bold: Me.

Bold and red: nickname

Pink: DS

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    I name pokémon that are important to me. Starters, favourites, things like that. I don't name HM slaves silly things like "Slave 1" though; it removes me from the experience. Basically, when playing pokémon, I nickname the pokémon that and what I would conceivably nickname were they real.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I remember seeing a thread like this before..but, oh well~

I never really liked giving my Pokémon nicknames, but now, I just give them the name of my friends from here on PC. ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2009
    i nickname...

i nickname certain kinds of pokemon like i name latias sakura latios syauran
    umbreon if girl moonlight espeon if boy sunlight and my blaziken i name it dark if boy and light if girl :)

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    i think you should only nickname them if the nickname is really good. like my lucario's nickname is aceir. thats french for steel ;)

Back