• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    What are some of the nicknames you've given and why? Just wondering.

Some of my nicknames:

PORYGON - Oojimaflip: It sounds cool.
    BLASTOISE - POSEIDON: Greek god of the sea.
    GYARADOS - LEVIATHAN: Serpent monster of some myth(?).
    MARILL - PIKABLU:

Random pokemon - Oh no! It: Every time it uses a move or does anything, the game will display "Oh no! It used TACKLE!" or something.

Pkmn I'm training a lot - C: "C" only takes 1/60 second to show up instead of 1/10 second, so the text appears faster every time it needs to say stuff like "C used WING ATTACK". Oh, and C is my favorite letter of the alphabet.

Last edited:

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    I'm not very fond of nicknames, however I named my favorite pokémon:
    Umbreon - Whisperer
    No specific reason for that though... It's kind of random I think.

I like POSEIDON for Blastoise, nice choice :)
    And INFERNO fits TYPHLOSION really well.
    These two are sort of original, the others I'm not so sure...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Juuust to help you out here...

BLASTOISE - POSEIDON: Greek(?) god of water.

Yep. Greek god. It's a greek god of the sea, though, but close enough.

GYARADOS - LEVIATHAN: Serpent monster of some myth(?).

Judeo-Christian myth. It's a destructive hell-beast associated with the sea. Awesome name for a Gyarados, by the way.

Anyway, to answer the question, I typically set a particular theme for my games, like names of Japanese characters or colors or something. For Sapphire, the theme was just "people in general," so I had names like:

Buddha the Medicham (because Medicham reminds me of a far eastern monk)
    Samara the Dusclops (after the girl from The Ring)
    Mina the Crobat (after the character from Dracula -- specifically, her portrayal in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)
    Bill the Gardevoir (after the Pokemon character, mostly because I thought it'd be cute at the time)

For Fire Red, meanwhile, I decided to go with a Japanese characters theme, so some of my Pokemon include:

Kasumi the Blastoise (for Misty)
    Yamato the Raticate (for Cassidy)
    Nanako the Electabuzz (for Casey, the girl in the anime who liked the Electabuzz team)

Unfortunately, I can't think of too many male examples, but you get the idea.

Ruby and Leaf Green went mostly without nicknames because those contain my themed teams. *shrug*

Kuro

Cloaked by the Masses
    Years
    Let's see... I believe I have too many to write.

Orannis the Typhlosion - Named after the 9th Bright Shiner (Abhorsen), who happens to be more powerful than 7 of the other 8 bright shiners combined. Ironically, I named him just after he hatched so I had no idea that he would be the best of the bunch. :D

Retsu the Milotic - Since she can heal, I named her after the captain of the healing squad in Bleach, Unohana Retsu.

Nova the Lucario - Just 'cause Nova's a totally *****in' name.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    CHARIZARD - CHAR
    TYRANITAR - TYRANT
    JOLTEON - LIGHTNING
    DRAGONITE - DRAGOON
    TYPHLOSION - INFERNO

Turn off the caps lock please...

And it depends on what kinds of nicknames you want. for things like dugtrio you can just say something normal like "Duggy" or "Dugster" or whatever. Or you can go more off of character traits like "Digdoom." Obviously, my examples are really terrible, but just to give you an idea of what I mean. But it you want to name anything after Greek gods, Cerberus and Hades are always cool, Hera is good for female gyarados...that kind of thing :P

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    This seems more suited for Pokémon General so I'll move it there.

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    I'm thinking about nickanming my Scyther, but I keep coming up with bad names. My current nickname is "KAMEHAMHEHA" for no real reason.
    Also, I nicknamed one of my Snorlaxes "BAD FART", and I named my Onix "The ONIX".

pkmnmaster88, I really like your Typhlosion nickname. My friend has pokemon gold and he nicknamed his typhlosion "EXPLODA".

(Something sort of ironic: I nicknamed my Gyarados before it evolved. It does seem a bit odd to have a Magikarp named Leviathan...)

Oh, and this is my favorite nickname:
    I nicknamed my other Snorlax the name of one of my teachers, and then I taught it Frustration.
    Then I got into a battle and made this happen:

Mr. Jones is confused!
    Mr. Jones used FRUSTRATION!
    It's not very effective...

(that is not my real teachers name)

~Crystal Entei~

If that is what you wish
    Years
    Hehe,I made my Infernape's name mine.
    Infernape-Zara
    Staraptor-Raptor
    Sandshrew-Shukaku
    Ninetales-Kyuubi
    Abomasnow-Yuki
    Dewgong-Frostbite
    I know I have some more(I enjoy nicknaming my Pokemon),but I think this is enough for now ^^;

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Nicknaming is fun but don't get stuck on the naming screen

Turn off the caps lock please...

I've got a feeling he put them in capitals because species names are this way in the games.

I guess everybody in the video game shouts their POKEMON NAMES.
    Go PIKACHU!

This brings me to my nicknaming habbits:
    • if I cannot think of a witty nickname, like Psyc for my Abra then
    • I name it the species name with a capital letter and lowercase, like Abra rather than ABRA.

Samara the Dusclops (after the girl from The Ring)
    Brilliant. The Ring is a good film.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    When I played Yellow in my early days, I always named
    Charizard - Firedragon
    Blastoise - Shellshock (first movie, anyone?)
    Venusaur - Jungledoom
    I wanted to give them as long nicknames as possible ^^

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    I usually don't nickname my Pokemon...once I nicknamed a Pikachu 'Sparky' (from one of the TV episodes)...but other than that I just get too lazy to think of names. xD

Fancies_Chanseys

Collector
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2008
    I remember when in Gold Version, another kid at my school named his Ho-Oh UltraBird.
    I was so amazed by this name and copied him every time I caught Ho-Oh or started again. =P

But nowadays I take 3-4 letters from the Pokemons name and use that.
    I.E: Treecko = Ree
    Psyduck = Syd
    Pikachu = Ika

I find that this can be a good way to pass time by trying to think of the best nickname for each individual pokemon. =)

Terry M

Weepinbell: Don't hurt me!!!!!
    Years
    I'm really good at amking nicknames even though I don't play pokemon games.

Bellsprout-Bellora
    Weepinbell-Willy-er I mean Weeper*coughWoopercough*
    Victreebel-Vicious Vine
    Vulpix-Hexafox
    Ninetales-Narutales(Naruto has the spirit of a nine tailed fox doesn't he?)
    Elekid-Electrikid
    Electabuzz-Buzz Shock Year(lol)
    Electivire-Voltail
    Hitmonlee-Bruce
    Hitmonchan-Jackie
    Hitmontop-Tyson(the main beyblade character, since beyblades about spinning tops)
    Tyrogue-Kungfookid(Kung-Fu-Kid)
    Makuhita-Fat Arm(in the PokemonX comic, Brawly names his makuhita strong arm but how about Fat arm?)
    Hairyama-Thick Arm
    Pichu-Sparkysqueak
    Pikachu-Sparklesqueak
    Raichu-Thundersqueak

Adelaide-Amber

-|Fashion Statement Suicide|-
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2008
    i give EVERY pokemon a nickname. i like mine to be unique. i just started this nickname thing 4th gen too, i never used to nickname them, but now it's almost an obsession ^_^

most of the names have meaning, for example:
    Raichu- Amp (has to do with power/electricity)
    Venusaur- Linden (type of tree)
    Magmar- Vesuvius (famous volcano)
    Meganium- Hibiscus (type of flower)
    Noctowl- Nytewise (owls are associated with night, and they are supposedly wise ^_^)
    Espeoon- Trance (psychic trances and stuff, looked it up cuz i couldn't think of a name for espeon until this morning!!)
    Umbreon- Moonbeam, Beam for short (umbreon, moonlight--> moonbeam... yeah, you get it)
    Garchomp- Tiburon (shark in spanish)
    Lucario- Luke (his name used to be Anubis, but a lot of other people had that cuz it's the egyptian dog god or whatever, so i changed it so it kinda sounds like the beginning of his name)

others are just cuz i think they fit:
    Pachirisu- Cooper
    Torterra- Spike
    Flygon- Monty
    Blastoise- Tobi
    Charmander- Corky
    Charizard- Jchett (pronounced Jet)
    Blaziken- Kannon
    Typhlosion- Phlair

i like to change the letters to make names more unique, as you've prolly noticed. i have a name for over 300 of my pokemon. i just love naming them!! and i like them because i actually thought of them or they mean something to me, not because everyone else is naming their Pikachu "Sparky". sure it's cute, but everyone else has it and that's why i like mine. like my Luxray, i named him "Thunder". not because he's an electric type though. i named him after a song, "Thunder" by the band Boys Like Girls. it goes like:

"your voice was the soundtrack to my summer,
    do you know you're unlike any other,
    Youll always be my thunder, and I said
    Your eyes are the brightest of all the colors
    I dont wanna ever love another
    Youll always be my thunder
    So bring on the rain
    And bring on the thunder"

just cuz Luxray was the very first pokemon i liked out of the 4th generation, so he is my Thunder!! ♥

i know this is long, sorry for ranting, but i just love sharing my names with other people that might actually care ^_^'

Back