• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    • Do you nickname your pokemon?
    • If so, what do you nickname them?
    • Do you base your nicknames or certain things? (E.g. Food, Zodiac signs, Animals etc)

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I nickname only the pokemon I am gonna use in the maingame and pokemon I accidentally catch.

Saerith

Fear My Glitter!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    I do it's mostly disney names apart from my fluffy

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I pretty much nickname ALL my pokemon. I mostly base my pokemon nicknames on various strategies for them, or sometimes I base them on the type of pokemon they are or the type of habits the pokemon have. However sometimes I have a need for Randomness, Example, naming my Clamperl: Willis.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    Yesh, I do indeed nickname them
    Anything that comes to mind when I catch them
    I base them either on what type of pokemon they are or their name

Years
    Do you nickname your Pokemon?
    I always nickname my Pokemon (apart from most legendaries). For example, there are millions of Pikachu out there, so if you give your's a nickname, it makes it a little more unique.

If so, what do you nickname them?
    I never really give them any names in particular, it's usually just whatever pops into my head at the time.

Do you base your nicknames on certain things? (E.g. Food, Zodiac signs, Animals, etc.)
    Like I said, it's never really anything in particular. In the past, I've named things based off their real-life counterparts, their name in a different language, an anagram of their original name, etc.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
    I name all my Pokemon, even if I don't intend to use them. I don't name legendaries, though.
    At the moment, I like to name them after their defining characteristic or animal they're based on. Like my Munna, which is named Sanjarenje (dream in Croatian [or at least that's what Google Translate said])

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Usually I just nickname the Pokemon I intend to use in my main party. They get really generic boy/girl names, so nothing really interesting about my naming system. I'm not that creative with names, which explains why I go the easy route. I still prefer giving nicknames to Pokemon I use regularly, just as something to make them stand out from the masses of Pokemon I obtain just for the Pokedex.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'll just go through my teams. Some of them have themes with the names, but most don't. I don't think they do anyway. lol

Jap White:
    Spoiler:

Eng White:
    Spoiler:

FireRed (these are the funny ones tee hee):
    Spoiler:

HeartGold:
    Spoiler:

That is all for now. n___n

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I typically nickname my pokemon. Not really anything specific, just any kind of first impressions. Like I nicknamed a Rattata "rabies", no explanation needed. I also nicknamed a Moltres "KFC". I do this for every pokemon I catch, even if I don't use it in a party. I guess I base my nicknames off of their looks and animal counterparts.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Do you nickname your pokemon?
    Yes I do, I give them all nicknames no matter if I love them, hate them, use them or never use them

If so, what do you nickname them?
    I usually give them their original names or shorter versions of their original names (Japanese names that is)

Do you base your nicknames or certain things? (E.g. Food, Zodiac signs, Animals etc)
    just their original names

:t354:TG

Blazing Flare

Burning brightly
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    I never nickname my pokemon, I think the concept is a bit silly honestly.
    Granted, if we were to translate the whole pokemon idea to the real world, you could say a pokemon's default name would be the species name scientists give to animals and plants (yeah, I know no one goes around calling their puppy canis lupus familiaris), but even so, I stick to defaults.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Yes, I usually nickname them after PC members (Usually for challenges) or something else related to them. Like for Fire-types I name them Blaze, Pyro etc. Because I'm super imaginative. If I'm doing the latter nicknaming them I'll name them the first thing that pops into my head that is related to them. For the names of PC members I'll try and associate that Pokemon with the member. I.e; Personality, favourite's etc.

Years
    I actually started to recently nickname my Pokemon. Before SoulSilver, I never did, but ever since then, I have been. I usually name them uncreative names though :(

Years
    I never nick name my Pokemon. I love the names they already have and it helps me remember what kind of Pokemon they are haha.

Back