• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Do you nickname your Pokemon? Got any nicknames to share? The majority of mine have nicknames. My Serperior is named Snip, my Umbreon is named Deovie, I have 2 other Umbreons(Blackstarr and Pimeys), I have a Drowzee named CocaCola. And several more I'll post later.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gonna send this over to Pokemon Gaming Central since their nickname thread JUST died.

Anyway I don't do it because I'm not really attached to the Pokemon in my games, lol.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    These days the only Pokemon that I really nickname are those that are going to be on my team, with a few exceptions. I fun it to be one of the aspects that I enjoy in the Pokemon Games, and it makes the games more enjoyable for me. The names that I name my Pokemon really depend. Sometimes they're named after a character from a series, or a friend of mine, while other times they're just named after whatever I come up with at the time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Gonna send this over to Pokemon Gaming Central since their nickname thread JUST died.

Anyway I don't do it because I'm not really attached to the Pokemon in my games, lol.

I get attached to mine. My Weavile is named BlackIce because of the Dark and Ice typeness.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I nickname everything. It doesn't even matter if I never even look at the Pokemon again, boxed for life, I will nickname it. It's a fun thing to do, even though they're typically the worst possible nicknames or the most clichéd nicknames of all time.

My HM Slaves are usually something like an actual tool, like "Wrench" or "Hammer" or something. Sometimes, "Tool" if I'm feeling especially creative.

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
    Years
  • Haha I really only ever give nicknames to my team, early pokemon I catch or cool pokemon (ubers and pseudo-ubers.)
    I love to have themes when playing a game.
    Pokemon Black and White I had a Harry Potter theme so some that I can remember...

- Nagini (Serperior) - snakes.. pretty self explanatory :P

- Peter (Patrat) - Peter Petigew who can turn into rats

- Ron (Darmanitan) - Gingerrrrr (like me :P)

- Draco (Woobat) - Always found him very vampire like :l

- Hedwig (Unfezant) - Wrong bird I know but still T.T

- Grawp (Conkeldurr) - Grawp.. giant, very strong, ugly haha

Those were the best.. others weren't as good but still haha

lacella

monsters & macarons.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2012
    These days the only Pokemon that I really nickname are those that are going to be on my team, with a few exceptions. I fun it to be one of the aspects that I enjoy in the Pokemon Games, and it makes the games more enjoyable for me.

i'm the same! but my nicknames kind of suck. i named by geodude Dude, and my slowbro Bro. also, my milktank is named Nips.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I do occasionally... I nicknamed my DW Sharpedo "Angel" after the Megalodon from a series I like by Steve Alten about the shark. =D

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I have only ever nicknamed one single pokemon.

I only nicknamed a shiny zubat, my first shiny encountered/caught.

Named it SHINORI.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I don't anymore, but I remember my first play through of Emerald I got to the 7th Gym and realized every member of my team had a blade like appendage of some sort, so I renamed them all after the names of different kinds of swords and knives.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    I usually nickname my pokemon, but it's only when i can come with one. For example:

Infernape- Claw-Claw. He was my first pokemon and i had absolutely no idea that he would not be a Chimchar forever.

Leavanny- Scadle. I honestly don't know what i was thinking with this one. It probably had something to do with leaves or bugs or something.

Mienshao- Pansit. You know, the noodle dish.

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • I only nickname rarely. Sometimes in a new game i'll nickname my whole team but usually it's rare inspiration like or shinies like Joey for my Blue Ponyta (After Warhorse) or calling Blissey 'Nanna' because she looks after my team.

RaichuGuy

#1 Beyblader/BakuganBrawler
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2012
    I do sometimes. Sometimes when it's comical or just looks epic. I don't nickname my legends though.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I only nickname my main team Pokemon, and they're mostly generic boy/girl names since I'm not that creative. But I like to think I'm still more creative than those who don't nickname at all :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm bad enough coming up with names for my own character... if I had to come up with names for at least 6 critters, I think I'd have an aneurism or something! So, no, I don't nickname my Pokemon. It's a habit that I just never got into, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't generally nickname my monsters, but I do have two that are named:
    Thunder, a Flygon Pal Parked from Sapphire, from a time I did name some, so I kept its name in homage.
    Madotsuki, a Froslass named after the protagonist of Yume Nikki as a reference to the yuki-onna effect in that game, as Froslass is based on a yuki-onna. A highly obscure reference, really.

I also know my Jolteon as Dasada-kun, but he's not actually nicknamed in-game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't nickname my Pokemon normally, but I once considered nicknaming a Sigilyph "Mr. Tweetums" for fun (but I ended up not doing it).

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I only nickname Pokemon in my special runs. And never on PMD. in black now, i have

a stoutland named guardian
    a swoobat named hearth
    a zebstrika named kamikaze
    a ferrothorn named T-horny.

:)

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Yes, I usually give my team each a nickname, the nicknames I pick are based from something that really interests me or I name them after my friends. :)

Palcks

some nights.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    It's weird, because I used to HATE nicknames, and now I love them. I guess it started because of Black, when I imported it from Japan. I didn't like not always knowing which Pokémon it was talking about, so I changed their names to simple versions of their romanized names. From there I just started using nicknames; for White they had variations of their Japanese names, and in Black I used named of singers/bands/albums.

Back