• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS discussion

Kobold Asylum

It's Trolling Time
    Years
    Enough with the GBA stuff. If you have GBA cartridges you want to play, chances are you have GBA or SP or micro to play them with or even the original DS or the lite to play them with.

The GBA came out in 2001! By the time the 3DS launches it'll probably be 2011. So, give it a rest. That ship has sailed. Do want the the Wii's successor to be able to read Nintendo 64 cartridges?

Yes. Then I will be able to play my Ocarina of time and Majora's mask and Super Smash Bros. I don't like any of the wii's games yet. And I have a DSlite, but I can't trade pokemon from MY Emerald to my bro's Ruby through Ad hoc.

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2011
    So, wait, another DS? That makes, uh, the 4th kind, right? Maybe I'll finally buy this one since I still have the DS Phat. But really, I will wait a bit before buying, just to see how it turns out.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    How is it going to be possible to make 3D images without the aid of glasses.
    *Yawn*
    Wake me up when there's a true successor to the DS/Gameboy and not another spin-off like the DSi and this thing.
    Bianca has a point here. Nintendo has already released three new versions of the Nintendo DS. First there was the DS Lite, then the DSi, and finally the DSi XL.
    But I suppose the reason why is because they have very tough competition against the PSP and iPhone/iPod Touch.

All I can say is, they better not make the same mistake they did with the Virtual Boy. But who knows. Perhaps they may come up with a new technology so that it causes no harm to your eyes (and brain).

Years
    There is also a DSi LL, I think.

Would operate the same as 3D televisions, I guess. Perhaps these units will utilize built in red/blue screen stuff overlaying the display.

I'm going to miss the GBA slot. Again.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Everyone keeps saying the DS isn't a direct successor to the Gameboy, and I don't really understand that. After all, it did play GBA games in the first place, and has Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda (and Metroid and Fire Emblem and Kirby, etc.) titles, and is the focus of Nintendo's handheld efforts. Is this a case of "they changed it now it sucks", or something?

Also, An-san, I don't think that they're doing the red/blue thing. That's pretty much old style at this point. It could possibly be one big screen, with the camera for perspective change like the DSi video... It's all up in the air, but I think this could actually get good. Maybe.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    So, wait, another DS? That makes, uh, the 4th kind, right? Maybe I'll finally buy this one since I still have the DS Phat. But really, I will wait a bit before buying, just to see how it turns out.

No. It's not "another DS". This is a brand new handheld console. It's the same one that Game Freak was talking about earlier in the year. It has an accelerometer (motion detector) and now we know that it has a 3D display feature. Bianca Paragon is just a misinformed cynic.

And it's not even possible for Nintendo to make a blunder on the level of the Virtual Boy. They don't take risks like that any more.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    They don't take risks like that any more.
    Release handheld that has two screens, a microphone, and a touch screen with mostly garbage specifications otherwise? Make a console that is no more powerful than your current *failed* console and give it gimmicky wagglan' controls? Sounds like risky behavior to me.

Just because they got lucky doesn't mean they always will. I'm not a cynic, I'm a disappointed former Nintendo fangirl.

Years

I think it makes 5 now. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and now this contraption. I just bought a DSi last week too. There's no way I'm justifying another big purchase for essentially the same thing to the wife. Hopefully this isn't just another DS iteration but a whole new handheld. I doubt it though since it's backwards compatible.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Release handheld that has two screens, a microphone, and a touch screen with mostly garbage specifications otherwise?

The DS wasn't intended to be Nintendo's flagship handheld.

Make a console that is no more powerful than your current *failed* console and give it gimmicky wagglan' controls? Sounds like risky behavior to me.

There is no way the Wii could have failed. Nintendo had clearly done their market research for the Wii. Their marketing methods haven't changed since launch, which shows that they understood their market from the start..

Just because they got lucky doesn't mean they always will. I'm not a cynic, I'm a disappointed former Nintendo fangirl.

Those are the worst kind.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    The DS wasn't intended to be Nintendo's flagship handheld.
    Regardless of weather it was to be the GB Successor or the Third Pillar; the DS still represented substantial R&D dollar investment and thusly, risk.
    There is no way the Wii could have failed. Nintendo had clearly done their market research for the Wii.
    lolno. They got lucky. Plenty of other companies had tried motion control in various guises before the Wii and all of them failed. If they did any research at all it would have told them NOT to pursue the Wii as a concept.

You must be an abject *retard* to try and claim the DS and Wii weren't significant risks for a company that had lost its glory. The N64, the GCN? No risks taken; just painting by numbers and carrying out the motions. Nintendo *needed* to take a risk on the NDS and Wii. But for those two successful payoffs, there's dozens of failed Nintendo concepts (Virtual Boy, Powerglove, SuperScope, 64DD, and dozens of other gimmicky peripherals from the NES days). I understand you're just a baby and have no idea what you're talking about; but don't try to pretend like you do, poppet.

tl;dr Nintendo don't take risks? lol

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Yes. Then I will be able to play my Ocarina of time and Majora's mask and Super Smash Bros. I don't like any of the wii's games yet. And I have a DSlite, but I can't trade pokemon from MY Emerald to my bro's Ruby through Ad hoc.

Fear not Nintendo will no doubt shamelessly rerrelease all of your favourties on the new DS.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Regardless of weather it was to be the GB Successor or the Third Pillar; the DS still represented substantial R&D dollar investment and thusly, risk.

Not much. A real risk would have been to use their Game Boy brand and to implement PSP-quality graphics. There was nothing on the line but money, which could easily have been recouped.

lolno. They got lucky. Plenty of other companies had tried motion control in various guises before the Wii and all of them failed. If they did any research at all it would have told them NOT to pursue the Wii as a concept.

It's more that they were marketing a console that promotes activeness to a market of casual gamers. This was failure-proof.

I understand you're just a baby and have no idea what you're talking about; but don't try to pretend like you do, poppet.

I knew you'd get condescending. They always do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Not much. A real risk would have been to use their Game Boy brand and to implement PSP-quality graphics. There was nothing on the line but money, which could easily have been recouped.
    Uhhh...money is a company's lifeblood. Risking money is the very definition of "risk". Your strawman is cute, but ultimately pointless.
    It's more that they were marketing a console that promotes activeness to a market of casual gamers. This was failure-proof.
    Because Eyetoy on the PS2 was definitely in the top 10 PS2 games ever sold, right? It's not like it was a cute, but niche, concept that sold OK but didn't break any sales records. See, the problem is that although the Wii did prove to be a great success there was absolutely no assurance it would sell well. It was a tremendous risk. Again, stop stuffing straw into your argument; stop being a baby and just admit that Nintendo has gotten arrogant and sloppy and thinks that anything it produces will sell.

Enjoy Virtualboy 2.0.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    ^It's nice to know we have an expert on the scene.

Despite this being a brand new console I'm a little pissed that Nintendo is releasing it so soon after the DSi/XL.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    For people wondering how the 3D would be done... no, not like the TVs that are soon to hit the market. Those use glasses. No red-blue stuff either. I believe there's a video out. It's not 3D in the sense that you feel like you're in it or at least that it's right in front of you - but rather, that you're looking in. Like a diorama.

Years
    Yuoaman, that better be sarcasm in your first line. No one here is an expert.

Bianca, I do see that you are cynical, but you don't exactly know whether this is another minor update akin to the DSi or if it is an entirely new console. If I were you, I wouldn't persue that argument any further. There's no information backing up any side of that argument, so you are basically fighting over speculation (which gets you nowhere). I do agree that Nintendo is taking a bigger risk with this, though, mainly because I do not know how they are going to pull it off. I can kind of see where you are going with the motion sensing argument, but to be honest, the reason why it's a big success for Nintendo is because they made it a fluid and intuitive input method for non-gamers and casual gamers. The Eyetoy did try, I'll give you that, but at the time, Sony didn't take into account the technology limitations (One of my favorite things was not being able to use my Eyetoy in my basement because of "ineffective lighting"). In addition, Sony didn't market it effectively, nor did it really put much thought into the peripheral after launch. But about Nintendo being sloppy, not really. If you break down there systems hardware wise, you would see that. Nintendo used an updated version of the Gekko CPU for the Wii for a reason: it was cheap. Same goes for the GPU. The Wii itself is also really easy to assemble, requiring less time in the factory and less being spent on production. The Wii was a carefully calculated risk, to ensure they made money on the console, no matter how the market turned on them. That isn't sloppy.

Jolene, I can see where you are coming from too, but the Wii and the DS were big risks. While not neccessarily to Nintendo's coffers at the time, down the road they could have been. Let's take this back to the third-pillar thing. Back when the DS was announced, they had said that they were going to introduce the DS as the third pillar to there lineup. That, right there, is caution. At the time, the Gameboy name was a household name. So if the DS didn't catch on with the masses, they could just anounce another Gameboy. The DS could just be swept under the rug, just like the Virtual Boy. And as I said before, the Wii was a carefully calculated risk. All the internals, and the console itself, really, are made to produce a profit, no matter what.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    See, the problem is that although the Wii did prove to be a great success there was absolutely no assurance it would sell well.
    Ptf, since when was it a huge risk? Nintendo was still a hugely popular company, and it isn't like it couldn't bounce back with another 100 mario side scrollers and pokemon spin offs.

…admit that Nintendo has gotten arrogant and sloppy and thinks that anything it produces will sell.

But it does. They have a reason to be cocky.

Enjoy Virtualboy 2.0.
    Hasty assumptions much? I still think it has potential since little was mentioned.

I think it seems unimpressive so far since it doesn't offer enough upgrades for another $180, but I'll still probably get it anyways. I thought the DSi wasn't worth the money, and I have it. This just seems too early IMO. :/

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Damn. Back to the Emulators. Again. Why can't it at least support GBA? Gosh. I'm happy with my DSlite and my Laptop right now, thanks nintendo.

GBA is two gens old already anyways. Just keep your old DS/GBA to play them.

Even if they did include compatibility for the Gameboy through Advance, it would be a huge risk considering that the general audience doesn't play Color or the original GB.

It made sense to include the First two with the GBA 'cause those were the big seller around that time when the GBA came out.

The only reason I can see them bringin' the GBA slot back is for games that used and solely relied on it (Guitar Hero and myabe some others), but they only jut out of the console if you remember the DSLite.

If you really need to transfer your Pokemon to the DS, do it now so you don't regret it later. (Unless Gamefreak pulls the same **** they did with Gen 3 having no compatibility with previous games)

I strongly hope Gamefreak tries to shake up the Pokemon concept by ridding all previous monsters from the Pokedex and make a fresh 150 that could be related to Gen 3. Plus ,change the graphics and the gameplay a bit to actually be a competant game again. Let's face it , the Pokemon we played on the DS is the same routine from the Gameboy days : Fight 8 leaders, have a rival, villaiins that have dumber motives each generation (Brain Drain?), and gameplay that feels recycled. Gamefreak needs to take a chance and make their next gen an innovative hit, otherwise someone will come up with a competant replacement on the PSP or the Iphone (Maybe both?) and Nintendo will be screwed as Pokemon is its only seller on the handhelds besides Mario and Zelda.

I'm waiting to see if this is a complete failure and for an updated version that will come a year later.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    As long as there's no new anti-piracy DS measures for Slot-2, I'm happy. I'm still on DS Lite because I'm a disappointed Nintendo fanboy. They're going to turn this around, I hope, there are people who won't get an XBox no matter how much it fits them because we believe in Nintendo.

Back