• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe I've ever browsed Internet from any of my handheld consoles before (and doing so at some point in future is highly unlikey), so for me, that likely wouldn't be affecting my usage experience in any way. For kids, however, I could imagine it to be a different story, sort of. Some parents like to limit their children when it comes to using computers, tablets, phones, and other things of the like, so due to that, there's always a chance that they might turn to their 3DS if they have it, and this, I believe, is where filtering would help lending a hand.

I agree that they probably shouldn't be charging money for such things, though.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    When a set date for the US release comes out, I'm going to start to try and sell my 3DS so I can have the money for that new one. =/

*le sigh*

Although, if OrAs games will still play fully well on my 3DS, then I'm not going to sell it just yet. :3

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    The cost is irrelevant. I thought parental controls came on the 3DS for free. :P If it's only supposed to be 'for the children,' then the parents should be taking responsibility. Whether it's 30 cents or 30 bucks, charging anything to remove a preset parental control system - what, because you don't trust the parents will do something about it themselves? - is ridiculous.

Besides - we all know filters don't often work as intended. Some dumb things can be flagged as inappropriate, and some inappropriate things may not be flagged at all.

I personally doubt the cost will be incurred for the US releases. The US version can vary quite a bit, for instance with the original 3DS XL it included a charger, while the Japanese releases didn't.

It's not very much about irrelevance, but it's unneeded. I just don't see anyone paying for it, unless the credit card linked to the eShop works with the browser and a kid playing around accidentally presses the "unlock".

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Sorry for the post deletion, but I had to repost with this news:
    https://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-more-tidbits-about-the-new-3ds/#more-171348
    Apparently the browser has tabs. I'm wary because of the 3DS browser, but hopeful cause of the Wii U browser, but still. Tabs isn't even on the Wii U, so I wonder if this is something completely new. And just how much power did the console get if it can now support tabs, when before any picture above 1MB wouldn't load? This is pretty swanky if you ask me. Nintendo's trying to get their handheld up to speed in multimedia, and its hopefully going to expand elsewhere.

Years
    This doesn't seem to appealing to me personally, in fact I've been thinking of downgrading since I have the LE Pikachu XL and I only use the console for Pokemon (and even then I stopped playing X about six months ago) so I could easily swap it for a basic model and gain like £70 in the process and not be too bothered about the smaller screen, lesser features etc.

But for dedicated players, this seems like a good upgrade and could lead to some nice looking games if Wii ports are even possible on it. This is definitely better than the 2DS addition to the family which was probably a nice idea budget wise, but it looked horrible and not being able to fold a large handheld is terrible.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Exclusive titles are you serious... :| I just bought a Wii U. Until something exclusive to this thing gets made that I want, I'm ignoring it. I bought an XY XL last fall too and that was $222 with tax. I don't want to think about having a third 3DS right now. Normally I'm excited for new Nintendo stuff, but I'm kind of mad right now lol. Guess I shouldn't have bought that XL last year after all. Should have stuck with my original 3DS. Not selling either of them since I'm a collector. But damn. UGH. Nintendo sure wants the money I don't have.

PS: It won't take me too long to see an exclusive for this thing that I want, so yeah. That's out the door. Kill me. I'll get it someday.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Let's talk about StreetPass!

StreetPassing is a feature that was introduced with the 3DS; basically, if your 3DS is in sleep mode with StreetPass enabled, and you encounter someone else that has their 3DS with them, your Miis will show up in each other's Plaza. Aside from essentially "collecting" Miis for minigames in the Plaza, some 3DS titles utilize this feature too, like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Bravely Default - StreetPassing will give you an advantage in such games.

How often do you use the StreetPass function? How many Miis do you currently have in your Plaza? Of the games you have played that utilize this feature to give players perks, which one do you think does it best? What's your favorite Mii Plaza minigame?

Discuss anything else about StreetPass you can think of!

Years
    I think it is actually insulting that they will be developing games that will only work with the new hardware. Am I the only one who thinks that? It is insulting, to me, because they are giving you no choice in the matter; you want our new games, go re-buy the console again, but it's 80% the same thing.

I haven't been a fan of Nintendo's hardware since the mid 00's and this isn't really making me excited to get a 3DS. For people who don't own a 3DS, this is great as they skip straight to a solid bit of handheld gaming, but to the 45 million + people who have already bought it, it is an insult. :/

Also, the $30 to unlock 'adult' content is basically a scam. Apple do something similar with taking the Cat5 port off their laptop motherboards, then sell the Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable; all company reasons aside, it is an easy way to pull in more money.​

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    I think it is actually insulting that they will be developing games that will only work with the new hardware. Am I the only one who thinks that? It is insulting, to me, because they are giving you no choice in the matter; you want our new games, go re-buy the console again, but it's 80% the same thing.

I haven't been a fan of Nintendo's hardware since the mid 00's and this isn't really making me excited to get a 3DS. For people who don't own a 3DS, this is great as they skip straight to a solid bit of handheld gaming, but to the 45 million + people who have already bought it, it is an insult. :/

Also, the $30 to unlock 'adult' content is basically a scam. Apple do something similar with taking the Cat5 port off their laptop motherboards, then sell the Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable; all company reasons aside, it is an easy way to pull in more money.​

I'd assume future games to mostly run on both hardware, just like DSi enhanced titles on the original DS. This act is not exactly an insult though. Some people are really pissed with it, but I can totally see this console coming because it's not as though Nintendo hasn't done it before.

And it isn't $30, it is JPY30, which is about 30 cents (USD). It is 'understandable' (note the quotation marks) that Nintendo imposes this 'privacy act'... Just look at what they did with Swapnote. Something I call plain exaggeration.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Can I just say, I absolutely love the concept of Street Pass...in the right situations. When I'm walking around daily with my 3DS in my back pocket, it's never really had that much of an impact. However, when I went to PAX East earlier this year, I had an absolute joy with it. I was playing Pokemon X while in lines and Id be randomly challenged to battles and I ended up just doing that for the duration of my times in each line. It's cool getting a sense of how many people are actually playing a game at once, and all and all creates a nice gaming atmosphere.

Essentially what I'm stating is that it's a pretty cool feature for the 3DS to have in certain situations considering - on the top of my head - I can't think of any kind of system that has a similar feature.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    The concept is great, but I rarely used it, because I simply can't encounter anyone's Mii in my 3DS range. Not much people turning on 3DS (or even its wireless) in my city, lol.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

I guess they expect people to trade it in and put that money towards the next 3DS. :/ I do feel insulted though, honestly. I bought an original. I bought the XY model last year for XY's release. And now there's this new one with games specific to it? And I know the obvious thing here is, "Syd, you have two, sell one or even both!" I collect handhelds, that's not happening. Collecting is like some terrible binding contract...to me, anyway. I'm pretty particular about it. I still need to add the 2DS to my collection. At least the 2DS has a specific target, which I applaud and think is great. This thing though? UGH.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    This is nothing new. It's very much similar to the Game Boy Color - it played all the original Game Boy games, of course, but it also had games that were enhanced on GBC and, you guessed it, its own exclusives. This is pretty much the exact same situation, so I don't get the shock and outrage.

3DS sales have plummeted. Smartphones are getting more and more common, not to mention powerful, and the 3DS is seriously lagging. Nintendo has to do something to fill in the next few years until it's time for a successor, so rather than rushing out a new handheld they're releasing an upgrade to their existing one.

If you have no issues with Apple releasing a new iPhone or Samsung releasing a new Galaxy every single year, then why are you in such an outrage that Nintendo is releasing an upgrade to their almost 4 year old handheld system?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    Is it possible to rearrange the order of games on the list?

Is there any way to order the list of games from the 3DS menu while selecting them? I've added a few new games, and they appear way in the back of the list. Not so hard to get to, but I'd like them to be in the front.

When I was changing a game from .3ds to .3dz, it seemed to have changed the game's order from 4th on the list, to 9th. Not sure how to even get it back to the beginning of the list like before.

So the question is, "Is it possible to order the list of games any way you want, or is it completely random?"

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I went ahead and merged five different topics about the 3DS into a single, consolidated thread. Feel free to treat this thread as the permanent 3DS topic - post all your questions and threads about the 3DS in here.

Threads merged:
    • Recommend me some 3DS games
    • Do you ever use the 3D on your 3DS?
    • New 3DS announced
    • How do I change the order of games on my 3DS?
    • Let's talk about StreetPass!

Is there any way to order the list of games from the 3DS menu while selecting them? I've added a few new games, and they appear way in the back of the list. Not so hard to get to, but I'd like them to be in the front.

When I was changing a game from .3ds to .3dz, it seemed to have changed the game's order from 4th on the list, to 9th. Not sure how to even get it back to the beginning of the list like before.

So the question is, "Is it possible to order the list of games any way you want, or is it completely random?"

Yes, you can change the order of games. You should be able to just place your stylus on the screen, hold it over the game you wish to move, then drag it to move it. Unless they changed how moving the games works.

Years
    If you have no issues with Apple releasing a new iPhone or Samsung releasing a new Galaxy every single year, then why are you in such an outrage that Nintendo is releasing an upgrade to their almost 4 year old handheld system?

Apple or Samsung don't make apps and features unusuable for older models when a new model is released, so that example doesn't really stand up.

I have nothing against them upgrading their console; that's normal progression. The bit that gets me is they are, basically, just releasing a shinier version but making games that don't work on the older console. The 3DS to the 3DS-LL isn't exactly a step up like PS3 to PS4 or Xbox 360 to Xbox One. I don't see value for money in the upgrades.​

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm not mad that they're upgrading, if that's how it comes off. I'm mad cause I have no money for this. #collegekidprobs Y'all should know I could never seriously be mad at Nintendo. lol

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Apple or Samsung don't make apps and features unusuable for older models when a new model is released, so that example doesn't really stand up.

I have nothing against them upgrading their console; that's normal progression. The bit that gets me is they are, basically, just releasing a shinier version but making games that don't work on the older console. The 3DS to the 3DS-LL isn't exactly a step up like PS3 to PS4 or Xbox 360 to Xbox One. I don't see value for money in the upgrades.​
    Maybe not directly, but their phones do receive upgrades in CPU power and such, meaning there are some apps and features that aren't going to be compatible with older models simply because they're not powerful enough to run it. It's the exact same situation here - the only reason there are games that are incompatible with the old 3DS is because the new 3DS is more powerful and they need the extra horsepower. There's no way Xenoblade could run on the old 3DS. The Game Boy Color was the exact same way - some games required the extra horsepower and/or the color screen and were incompatible with the old Game Boy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back